Question regarding obtain a CCW with an ELS.

This is a discussion on Question regarding obtain a CCW with an ELS. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing a quick research on the subject and haven't been able to come to a conclusion one way or another. I live in ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Question regarding obtain a CCW with an ELS.

Question regarding obtain a CCW with an ELS.

I've been doing a quick research on the subject and haven't been able to come to a conclusion one way or another. I live in a California county that is known to be pretty much Will Issue to qualified applicants. I'm wondering if an ELS (Entry Level Separation) from the Armed Forces will disqualify me for a CCW permit, and if it is required/recommended that I list my service in the military?

After a few hours of research I cannot come to a definite conclusion, and was hoping one of you would be knowledgeable in this area?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure about Cali,but in Tx the only thing my military service did was cut the cost of the license in half.I would say as long as it wasn't a mental health,or drug issue it won't matter
    rolyat63 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Best to ask a lawyer in your jurisdiction, or perhaps a LEO. But based on the following, and ELS doesn't seem damning enough by itself to disqualify your from anything other than future military service.

Entry Level Separation (ELS). As I said, this characterization is often misunderstood, as some people think that it's some kind of special separation program that allows them to quit if they have less than 180 days of service. It's not. It's simply another type of service characterization. If the servicemember has less than 180 days of service, and is discharged, the commander can say "I didn't have enough time to adequately measure this person's conduct and performance," by characterizing the service as "Entry Level." That's all an ELS is. Instead of giving an Honorable, General, or UOTHC, the service is "uncharacterized." An ELS is not honorable, it's not general, it's not anything. It means that the commander didn't have enough time to make a fair decision as to the overall service characterization. The commander DOES NOT have to characterize the service as Entry Level, even if the member has less than 180 days of service. If the commander feels it's appropriate, and the commander feels he/she knows enough about the member's conduct and performance, he/she can characterize the service as honorable, general, or UOTHC, instead. This is often done in cases of misconduct, or failure to meet or maintain standards. Usually, someone with an ELS has not been in the military long enough to qualify for most veteran benefits.
    Entry Level Separation - What is an ELS?

I'm tempted to ask what you did to earn your ELS, but in the name of discretion, I won't.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    ELS can be for any number of things, back in 1968 when I joined we had one individual separate after seven days, he was allergic to wool. As long as drugs, mental issues or legal problems were not involved there should be no problem.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

GH
    In Wisconsin we can omit the training requirement by sending a copy of our DD 214 along with the application. Otherwise I shouldn't imagine that an early military separation would affect your qualification for a CC license. I know that a Dishonorable Discharge is a disqualifier in my state. Each state is different with its own rules so you'd better check. Maybe a Google search for "California Concealed Carry Law" or call whichever department is in charge of CCW licensing. In WI it's the Department of Justice except for professional firearms permits like for Armed Security & Private Detectives. Then it under the Department of Regulation & Licensing.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Why don't you call the county sheriff and ask them? You can do it anonymously. It might also help to speak with the Sheriff and explain your situation.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    Why don't you call the county sheriff and ask them? You can do it anonymously. It might also help to speak with the Sheriff and explain your situation.
    This will most likely be the route I take, as the information I've gathered isn't conclusive. I just wanted to know if right off the bat it's a no go. ELS is supposed to be Uncharacterized (some sites say OTH), but while I was processing out,
    different DI's told me different things regarding how ELS is treated in civilian life. Some said it's considered a Dishonorable, others said that officially I wan't even considered to ever be in the service, that for applications that asked I would answer no.
    This is mostly the reason I asked, as the law didn't seem clear.

Regardless of which way the law falls, I'll just likely go ahead and list it. Issuance is at the Sheriff's discretion and if it's a disqualifier for him, then I guess I'll just accept the consequences.

Fair is fair, to put it in "official" jargon; Failure to adapt. At the time I was given the option of Ch.15 plus ELS or wait for an unknown amount of time for a Medical. Honestly in retrospect it was a mistake for me to go in without really considering the choice I was
    making, and a mistake to not honor my commitment.

Links