Thoughts on Weapons Policy

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Weapons Policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My company just updated it's handbook and it appears to be vague in its weapons policy it reads "Unless explicitly permitted by local or state ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Thoughts on Weapons Policy

Thoughts on Weapons Policy

My company just updated it's handbook and it appears to be vague in its weapons policy it reads "Unless explicitly permitted by local or state law, (XYZ Company) does not permit weaponry of any kind on its owned, leased or otherwise occupied premises including parking lots"

Now I live in Virginia and possess a VA CCW permit does that mean I'm explicitly permitted by state law to be allowed to carry concealed in my workplace?

2. Remove Ads

Should have added I work in Virginia as well

That's how I read it. NC has similar wording on the signs leading into its state parks (I live next to one). It means you can carry concealed if you have a CCP. I don't know what else your handbook could mean with that wording. "Carry" on, sir.

The statement "I'm not an attorney" should preface any answer on this but I will state that IMO a CCW permit is explicit in its design and filing with your state.

Sounds like your company is attempting to allow CCW without expressly stating so.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

GH
    Now that's a good question. It would seem to me that "permitted by law" would include those who can legally carry a firearm. I'll bet that the rule meant those who carry a firearm professionally like a Police Officer, Deputy, Federal LE & the like. Personally, until the rule is clarified I'd say that you were permitted to carry.

To note the difference in each state's laws my state, WI, has it clearly written that if a company or store doesn't allow guns there it specifically says you can store it in your car in the parking lot. You just can't take it in the building otherwise you'll be considered trespassing. That's everything except schools where guns are prohibited within a certain distance from them unless you're driving on a road that goes right past it. We can even take it in taverns unless you're consuming alcoholic beverages.

I just would make sure that your concealed weapon is actually concealed. No holster sticking out on the bottom or printing. And don't tell anyone that you have it. OR - keep it well-hidden in your car if you don't want to take the chance. Once you leave the parking lot you can stop & strap it on.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I've run into a similar question with my company policy regarding the parking lot. I work at a hospital, so firearms are not allowed in the building - but the employee handbook is vague.

I'm kind of torn on whether to call HR (don't know if I want to bring any attention to myself), or just park across the street to be extra safe.

The devil is in the details...

The wording in your policy manual states, "Unless explicitly permitted by local or state law..."

It does not say, "Unless explicitly permitted by XYZ Company."

Considering that less than 5% of the state population has a ccw permit, your state ccw permit means that you are, "Explicitly permitted by the state to carry a concealed weapon!"

As far as I'm concerned, it reads that you are explicitly permitted to carry there.

However, I would tell absolutely no one! The less who knows about it, the less opportunity some nitwit has to officially change the company policy.
    First Sgt likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yep you are permitted by the State to pack
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for all the input...clarification from the company would be welcomed but as PT said I don't want to draw undue attention from HR

VIP Member
    "Unless explicitly permitted by local or state law, (XYZ Company) does not permit weaponry of any kind on its owned, leased or otherwise occupied premises including parking lots"

State law does explicitly allow you to carry a weapon, with a few spelled out exceptions, in the state of VA. Unless your place of employment falls under one of those exceptions, you should be able to carry there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd say that you're good to go...
    Tell no one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GH
    We had a situation at a plant where I did unarmed Security. Since I worked contract Security the Security Agency's policy was no weapons allowed of any kind . This plant got a government contract that required Armed Security & the client contact came to the Security office & announced "you guys can strap your guns on now". I reached into the bag & removed my handgun in its holster placing it on my duty belt. The client contact just smiled. Of course I also called my agency to make sure & question if our pay would now increase (it did) & whether I could use my personal gun (I could after qualifying on it & received the license). I had an armed endorsement on my Security License already so I was good to go. The client was pleased because the ink on the government contract was still wet & he already had Armed Security in place, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Links