Weak side concealed carry, broken elbow. My wife's story.

This is a discussion on Weak side concealed carry, broken elbow. My wife's story. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CCW with a broken elbow. Are you ready? My wife's story. Mrs Superhouse took a bad fall a few weeks ago, and badly broke her ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Superhouse 15
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71

Thread: Weak side concealed carry, broken elbow. My wife's story.

CCW with a broken elbow. Are you ready? My wife's story.
    Mrs Superhouse took a bad fall a few weeks ago, and badly broke her right elbow. A few titanium parts later and she is on the road to recovery. She is right handed and only now is getting strength and feeling back in the arm. We have twins that are almost 5. She is also an NRA instructor and carries a Glock 26 IWB strong side, and a Seecamp .25 (yes, I know...) as a left side backup.

We knew that she would be on pain meds for a while, and I was home with her during that time. When I had to go back to work she decided that she was going to carry. We both felt that a mom with two kids in tow and an injured arm looked like a tempting target and that she needed protection more than ever.

I just happen to own a Beretta Tomcat with a Crimson Trace grip. She found a belt pouch for it and that became her carry gun when she was left hand only. The Seecamp still lived in her back pocket. The Tomcat is a great gun for people with an injury, it's simple to load one handed, doesn't kick much, and it's easy to aim with the fat front sight and laser. We did some training with dummy rounds and then live fire to get her up to speed on the gun. The drawback to the Tomcat (and all the tip-up barrel guns) is that malfunction clearance is different than other designs. Lucky for us I have quite a collection of handguns and I own a model 21 Beretta in .22 that I set up with a fat set of wood grips and an acrylic front sight to mimic the Tomcat. We did training with cheap .22lr to start with, then moved up to the more expensive .32s. The CT grips are interchangeable so we worked with those on both guns too.

After she healed some, she wanted to carry something bigger. I happen to be left handed and one of my carry guns is a Glock 19. It's set up with the same trigger and sights as her 26, so there was very little work needed to get her in the groove with that gun. I have a couple other guns I rotate between carrying, and to keep my right hand prepared I also carried her 26 for a few days right handed.

I think there are lessons to be learned besides the obvious "don't run on the wood floor in socks" lesson that started this whole mess. It's good that we were prepared with a weak hand friendly gun and a way to carry it. Having a .22 version to practice with was also a big help. Being able to share guns was helpful. Consider that the Glock is a common gun, if we had needed a lefty holster any decent sized gunshop should have one. If we carried something exotic or uncommon we might be out of luck. She also owns a couple 1911s and we have plenty of holsters between us, but she wasn't ready for .45 recoil when it came to an injury. We hadn't considered that. (mental note... perfect excuse to buy 9mm 1911 now). The biggest lesson is that the time to prepare is now. We were able to move smoothly back into CCW as soon as she was able. Not carrying when she was vulnerable was never an option for her. Now she is working with a .410 shotgun and a .22 AR conversion with a 5.56 version off of a bipod. With .410 Tuff Strips she is ready and able to have a long gun to use, and she is fine with a benchrest and a heavy AR.

We both hope that all of you can learn a little from our experience and be better prepared for your defense if you are unfortunate enough to have an injury like hers.
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Wow, sorry to hear about her injury. Hope she gets back 100% soon.

One silver lining to this is that she already has the fundamentals ingrained, and all she needs to do is apply them to the other side. If she has practiced weak hand shooting before this will be easier.
    The trick like you pointed out is a platform that lends itself to that situation.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    It's funny you should post this now. I was just thinking about the same subject yesterday and was considering posting something myself.

I am a contingency planner by nature. I am always working on a "Plan B". I have always practiced weak side shooting and one handed manipulations. I have also accumulated a couple of holsters for my weak side and practice draw stroke and retention with them.

Preparing for an injury to your strong side may not be the first or even second thing on your "CC ToDo List", but it SHOULD be on there somewhere.

Thanks for bringing this up. I hope your wife recovers quickly.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Hope the lady heals quickly!!!!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

sgb
    Best wishes for the Mrs speedy recovery, and thanks for sharing as the lesson is a valuable one.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I went through something similar a few years ago, having had surgery on my right wrist that required a month's immobilization and then two more months in a series of less and less restrictive soft casts. My solution, instead of employing a Beretta Tomcat, which I already had, was to buy a piece that I knew that I would get rid of once I was reasonably two-handed once again. I picked up a S&W 36, which I knew that I could operate one-handed, even if I couldn't reload it. I counted on five shots and prayer, and now, years later, I'm strictly left-handed for centerfire as it is.

Got it! No running in socks on the hardwood! :)

Hope the Mrs is back in top shape ASAP!

Sponsored Links