.22 magnum for self defense?

This is a discussion on .22 magnum for self defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the deal. My wife is not *totally* into pistols and revolvers, but after some coaxing, she has come around to considering getting herself a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: .22 magnum for self defense?

.22 magnum for self defense?

Here's the deal.

My wife is not *totally* into pistols and revolvers, but after some coaxing, she has come around to considering getting herself a carry permit.

So, we've gone to the range a couple of times, and she enjoys shooting the buckmark .22lr. She's not a great shot, but she always hits the target at self defense distances. Now this thing has a 5 inch barrel and a long sight radius...

I had her shoot some .380 acp pocket guns, but she was really intimidated by the recoil. I suspect with enough rounds, she'll want to move up to a larger caliber, but I'm thinking about what to do in the meantime. I also think that she would do better with a revolver since she's a bit of a limp wrister.

Personally, I think the S&W model 351 PD is a beautiful gun, and I'm considering getting this for her. I'm concerned that with it's light weight and the relative power of the magnum, and the fact that it is a revolver might make this gun have too much kick.

I'm also concerned about the site radius.

Any thoughts are welcome, and I'm especially keen to hear from anyone who owns or has shot this or a similar revolver.

Here's a link to the revolver: Product: Model 351PD
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

2. Remove Ads

Well, how does she feel about the 351 PD?

Try to expose her to as many firearms as possible, and let her choose her own pistol.

a .22 Mag is better than no gun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

This lightweight j-frame is not a beginner gun. The recoil will be unpleasant.

If you want her to enjoy shooting, get her a gun with some more weight to it.

ETA: I'm sorry, I thought the j-frame that you linked was a .38. The .22 mag j-frame is probably an easy shooter.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Last edited by zacii; July 20th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
    BugDude likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If she's gonna carry it, she needs to choose it. IMO a .380 isn't any worse/better than a .22mag. both will work. Expose her to each of those calibers and let her make up her mind.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Of course she is going to pick out her own carry. I'm just trying to narrow down the field.

I've never shot a .22 mag, and I'm surprised to hear that it kicks much like a .380.

As for the comment along the lines of 'any gun is better than no gun,' I could not agree more.

The only exception, of course is if the BG gets the gun and turns it on you. Along these lines, I advise her that if you ever have to shoot 1 round at a perp, unload the weapon on him/her.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

How about a Ruger LCR in .38 Spl...loaded with mild 148 gr wadcutters? As she gets used to it, you can step up the load. I carry standard pressure 158 gr SWCs in mine. Not bad at all to shoot.

I think there is also a version in .22 LR.
    mprp likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

not a bad gun. i would also take a look at the kel tec p32. the 32 acp in the kel tec is like shooting a 22 mag. lite and easy.
    latentcarry likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Of course she is going to pick out her own carry. I'm just trying to narrow down the field.

I've never shot a .22 mag, and I'm surprised to hear that it kicks much like a .380.

As for the comment along the lines of 'any gun is better than no gun,' I could not agree more.

The only exception, of course is if the BG gets the gun and turns it on you. Along these lines, I advise her that if you ever have to shoot 1 round at a perp, unload the weapon on him/her.
    I would advise you to find a reputable trainer whom she can attend a class from. Preferably a course where they cover retention techniques.

It all depends on your state laws, but I would advise that firing to stop the threat is the right number of rounds, no more, no less. But, I am not a lawyer.
    BkCo1 and Sky Pilot like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

KSP
    One option to consider is a Black Widow from North American Arms. It's a tiny gun, but you can get an excellent grip, it is the easiest thing in the world to carry (which is a much more difficult proposition for women's clothing), and the recoil is still minimal. It's obviously limited as a single action only. My own thinking is that you have to weigh the practical firepower vs the likelihood of carry. You give up a certain amount in the unlikely chance it needs to be used, but you are also more likely to be carrying a gun in that unlikely event. Slip it in a remora and it its he easiest IWB or pocket carry that you can imagine. From the website you can get 1000 fps with winchester super x 40 grain out of it's 2 inch barrel (same as 22 mag snubs).

Just a thought.
    Keith44 likes this.

The Bersa Thunder 380 is a very mild shooting gun. Not the smallest or lightest 380 on the market, but the smoothest shooting in my opinion. It is also a quality reliable firearm at a very reasonable price. You can buy 3 of them for the msrp of the 351PD. They are also not sensitive to limp wristing.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Is this what you're talking about? This is my daily carry. I know some will chime in and say it's only a .22. I would ask them, do you want 7 rounds of .22 mag? Anyway, very lightweight and easy to shoot ( at least for me).

PD 351.JPG
    Eternity...it's Hell without Jesus

USN 1969-1973
    USS Jonas Ingram DD938

The trigger pulls are heavier in the rimfires from both S&W and Taurus. The reason is reliability in setting off rimfire primers. It makes it harder to get a good trigger pull unless you have a gunsmith who knows what he's doing. If you get a gun plumber to work on it you can easily get reliability problems.

And let me say that I am not a fan of most Taurus guns, but their small frame .22mags was one of the best rimfire handguns we ever has as a rental when I was working at a range. It held up better than even the 351, for half the $$$. I would carry one if I had to.
    Dandyone likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I would advise you to find a reputable trainer whom she can attend a class from. Preferably a course where they cover retention techniques.

It all depends on your state laws, but I would advise that firing to stop the threat is the right number of rounds, no more, no less. But, I am not a lawyer.
    Thanks buckeye, for giving me the opportunity to clarify what I was thinlking.

I should have been more clear. I was thinking more along the lines of empty the gun so long as the perp is advancing. If the advance stops, then there is little danger that the perp can turn her weapon on her.

I like the advice on getting a professional instructor, and this is in the plan. We both felt it made sense for her to become familiar with firing what will become her carry beofre getting the training, though. I can give her the fundamentals, and she has already begun reading my Mas collection. Real training, however, is best done by a professional.
    GGs
    BGs

Personally I would stay away from revolvers, very short sight radius, stiff triggers with rimfire rounds especially, and way less than optimal barrel length than necessary for a .22 magnum to be very effective. I don't care what anyone thinks a .22 wmr or lr out of a 1 7/8" barrel isn't good for much... They really excell out of a rifle length barrel.

I would suggest something in .32 ACP, carried in full metal jackets will do the job much better and more reliabley than any rimfire round out of a short barrel. Beretta tomcat, CZ .32 , NAA guardian.

Less recoil than the .380, and the heavier guns like the CZ will go to reduce that even more.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Some questionable advice here, I think.

The 351PD does NOT have the recoil of a .380 ACP. It has hardly any recoil at all. The hard part might be the trigger pull, which is quite heavy.

There is self-defense ammunition designed for the short-barrel .22 mag mini-revolvers. It appears to be about as effective as .380 ACP from a 2" barrel.
    grapeshotsully likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links