doctor visit - lesson learned

This is a discussion on doctor visit - lesson learned within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Visited my "back doctor" today. I usually leave my gun in the car when I see a doctor, but this particular doctor never has physically ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: doctor visit - lesson learned

doctor visit - lesson learned

Visited my "back doctor" today.
    I usually leave my gun in the car when I see a doctor, but this particular doctor never has physically examined me before, so, today I decided to carry in the office.
    (I don't like leaving my gun in the car and decided to bring it in with me today).

As luck would have it, she decides to examine my back today. She lifted my shirt before I could comment and started poking around my lower back.

I felt that she must have spotted my gun (IWB 8 o'clock - I'm left handed), but she didn't say anything.
    Before I could fully turn around she was walking out of the exam room - muttered that she would write me a script and see me in 2 weeks.

The nurse came in and said I was done - the doctor locked herself in the office.

I told my wife when I got home - she laughed hysterically and said that she would call them and explain.

My wife calls - the office manager says that the doctor was in her office crying! They called the police - found that I was clean and licensed to carry.

However, the doctor refuses to see me again.

Unbelievable! My wife was still laughing hysterically when she came to tell me what they said...
    I should have explained, but the doctor left the exam room so quickly, I didn't have a chance.

Oh, well - you live - you learn.

2. Remove Ads

I guess that's one way to find out if your doctor is right for you.

Hahahah. Started crying. Hilarious.

VIP Member
    If I were you, I'd take the opportunity to send the doctor a written letter.

In it I would explain why we carry & what we have to go thru to get permits & try to impress upon her that we aren't the threat! Give her as much information as you can & also include that you will respect her wishes & go elsewhere.

Be polite, be accurate & don't be confrontational & don't make fun of her 'emotion' & how she responded. It's up to you if you feel you want to apologize for frightening her. Me, I would tell her I was sorry that was her reaction to the firearm, I wouldn't apologize for carrying it!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Likewise...Educate her.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

In it I would explain why we carry & what we have to go thru to get permits & try to impress upon her that we aren't the threat! Give her as much information as you can & also include that you will respect her wishes & go elsewhere.

Be polite, be accurate & don't be confrontational & don't make fun of her 'emotion' & how she responded. It's up to you if you feel you want to apologize for frightening her. Me, I would tell her I was sorry that was her reaction to the firearm, I wouldn't apologize for carrying it!

pax
    Argh, the poor woman!

I'm serious. She lives in a state with carry-friendly laws, and she is so distraught by the sight of a legally carried gun that she hides & bursts into tears. It leads me to believe that she must have had some trauma in her life to make her respond like that. Awful to be that fearful.

Hmmmm. From a medical perspective, it's really too bad that your back doctor did not already know that you habitually carry a heavy piece of metal strapped to your waistband. It is quite possible that your carry habits can & do have an effect on your back pain, and it would be helpful (maybe even necessary) for a back doctor to know that.

I had a close call this week in the doc's office. Got there & they switched my appt from my regular doc (who knows I carry & is cool with it) to another doc in the practice (who I've never met). No biggie -- I was just there for a sore throat anyway, so no real invasive stuff was going to happen.

Only it turned out I had strep, and they wanted to give me a shot for my antibiotic rather than pills. I'm all for that, because I'm lousy at taking pills on schedule. But the shot wasn't going to go in my arm ...

You can see where this is going?

Wearing a loose shirt rather than a removable cover garment. Stupidly left my "emergency" handbag in the car. Glanced around the room, spotted a Time magazine and concocted a plan. Doc walked out, I grabbed magazine, dumped my holstered gun on the chair with the magazine open over it -- as if I were saving my spot. Dropped my keys over the whole thing. Made it before the nurse walked in. Whew! Good save there, Kathy.

Nurse walked in and said, "Come on down to the other room for your shot."

Ummmmmmmm. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I gathered up the Time magazine in a fumbly-bumbly wrap and walked nonchalantly down the hall behind her. Brazen it out.

Got away with it. I think.

But ... Next time, I'll know better.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

WOW, I'm amazed at that reaction. It's not like you pulled out your gun and said "give me all your money"

Excellent suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

Although her reaction was idiotic in my mind I agree, be polite and non-confrontational. Who knows, you may win a convert. It's worth a try.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I wonder if she was ever in contact with one of those guns that jumps out of holsters, pulls it's own trigger, and sprays the room...and she was afraid that might happen again?

Not to mention that she could have violated your confidentiality IRT HIPPA rules...i.e. (to borrow another's suggestion) that the gun you carry & mags, *might* be the cause of your back pain.

I think you should send me your guns, mags and ammo--just to be safe...and I'll send you a water pistol (or a Glock)--both are made from plastic LOL.....j/k...you need to rest your back.

Despite her unreasonable reaction--how is your back?

This is why i make sure all my doctors and dentist are into guns.
    Of course most I've met because they are customers of mine.
    Whenever I go to the doc's, half the visit is showing off new pistols while other patients are sitting in the waiting room.
    Now you guys know what takes so long while you're sitting out there waiting!
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Thanks guys - I needed to get this off my chest and all of your posts were very helpful.
    My wife, god bless her, agrees with all of your posts too - except for surrendering my weapons to SIG.lol.

My back problems are specifically attributed to some herniated and bulging disks in my lower and mid back.

I've lived with it for years and I'm OK with it - thanks for asking SIG.

Not much they can do anyway, other than surgery and medication - neither of which I want to do.
    I've had too many friends have bad results with surgery and the medication route is bad for me too - as I don't like to have my faculties impaired.
    Physical therapy does help and that's why I was seeing this doctor.

I do find her reaction somewhat humorous, but in all seriousness goawayfarm's response is probably the best. This would seem to be an opportune moment to possibly educate without alienating. Just remember to be polite and respectful. The other upside - at least she finished the exam before she broke down .

One never knows what caused the reaction. It could have been fear of the unknown or something more complicated such as a family member having shot him or herself recently. A non-pushy letter stating why you carry may educate her some and cause her to open her eyes to reality. After that, it's her call. But if she was willing to call the police on you, it's not likely you'll be getting to see her again.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I think we are all missing the point -- she was obviously reacting to the fact that you are left-handed Sorry, couldn't resist (being left-handed myself).
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

You Need a New Doctor...

She locked herself in an office...she was mighty thoughtful of her staff's safety...if you were a trouble maker...they were on their own. She called the police on you? For what?
    I would request a 'face to face' or a telephone conversation at the least.
    I would be polite, but she needs to understand the laws...unless her office has a policy...if it doesn't...it will shortly!

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with the suggestion that you may want to send her a formal written letter. I'd apologize for scaring her, and at the same time not apologize for carrying...it's a delicate act, but the apology will let her know that you regret scaring her, the rest of the letter can explain why she doesn't need to be afraid. It always amazes me that someone can be intelligent enough to be a physician but downright stupid when it comes to having enough common sense to deal with an experience like she had with you as a patient...duh. And, what a step backward in terms of "acting like a little girl"....gee, I think I'll lock myself in my office and cry...duh.

In my situation, my medical care is split between Veterans Affairs (VA) and at Mayo Clinic on a fee basis with VA paying (100% service-connected disabled). Since I cannot risk losing the benefits of this situation, and needing regular care and treatment, I can't screw up and walk or drive onto VA grounds with a gun. I'm all about my rights, but I'm practical about needing health care.

An IDPA shooting buddy of mine back in MI is a dentist, and when I lived there he took care of me. As he flitted from patient to patient as they do, I'd sit in the dental chair and aim out the window, dry firing some of his newer pistols and revolvers. Plus, he had a very extravagant office, with a private office area that was more like a den. He'd schedule me at 4 pm as final patient of the day, and afterward we'd head to his office and have a few beers as we talked shooting. Only dentist I liked to visit!
    Last edited by JimmyC4; September 18th, 2006 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links