Concealed Carry and Open Carry Opinions

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Open Carry Opinions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently started a Thread on the Open Carry Forum. I am suddenly curious about the thoughts of those who Conceal Carry regarding the same ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman

Thread: Concealed Carry and Open Carry Opinions

I recently started a Thread on the Open Carry Forum. I am suddenly curious about the thoughts of those who Conceal Carry regarding the same issue. The original message is as follows:

"First off, I want to say that I do not usually open carry, although I am usually armed. I have absolutely NO problem with Open Carry in general, but I am very curious about this. I am also a Police Officer.

Why are there so many OCers that seem like they are just out to give the Police a hard time? I can tell you that nobody I work with is out there trying to "harass" people legally carrying a firearm. In fact, most are all for it. I can also tell you that we HATE being dispatched to calls regarding things that are not illegal, such as a guy openly carrying a holstered firearm, but we still HAVE to go!

Instead of making YouTube Videos and giving the Police a hard time, why can't we work together? The majority of the time I have positive conversations with people who OC, but there are always some who just want to give you a hard time for no reason. I also try to call the complaintants back and I explain to them that nothing illegal or dangerous is occuring.

Don't you think this hurts the rest of us in the long run, in the public eye? I think this is definatly the case when you have people OCing an AK-47, for no reason, just so they get approached by a Police Officer (Almost ALWAYS resonding to citizen complaints!), just to get a YouTube video up.

It doesn't have to be OC Vs. Police...Why cant we just work together? "

I am curious about the thoughts on this from Concealed Carry people! From my experience, Concealed Carry individuals are respectful, offer their ID and CC permit, and they move on. There are open carry people out there who just want to challange us!

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by glocknug View Post
    From my experience, Concealed Carry individuals are respectful, offer their ID and CC permit, and they move on. There are open carry people out there who just want to challenge us!
    Thanks for the input!
    This thread is the same one you posted earlier.

However in response to your above statement...... In most states with concealed carry laws the permit holder is either mandated to inform law enforcement they have a permit or required to produce it if asked. In most states that allow open carry, to my knowledge, one is not obligated to even produce ID if they do not appear to be, or about to be committing a crime. Maybe some of those that appear to be challenging law enforcement are simply exercising their rights under the Constitution and/or state law.
    Jollymann likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

When I have the chance to OC...I take it. This is not to infuriate or test anyone. I CC all of the time. OC is pretty much challenging for me much less anyone else. I don't do it to push the limits or anyone's buttons. Maybe some do.....I wouldn't know. What I do know is that it seems like you've just got something to get off your chest with multiple posts. If it's any consolation, I will assist you whenever I see you're in need with some crackhead pulled over on the side of the road in the middle of the night and backup is miles away. You and I are not on opposite teams even though it seems to be hard work convincing you otherwise.

Yep. You don't want to be labelled as a trigger happy guy do you? Especially in your position? Perhaps there IS a communication problem between US and You? In which case.......there might need to be some things worked out BEFORE we are able to work together or as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post

However in response to your above statement...... In most states with concealed carry laws the permit holder is either mandated to inform law enforcement they have a permit or required to produce it if asked. In most states that allow open carry, to my knowledge, one is not obligated to even produce ID if they do not appear to be, or about to be committing a crime. Maybe some of those that appear to be challenging law enforcement are simply exercising their rights under the Constitution and/or state law.
    This is not the same... Let me tell you why...

There are a lot of OCers out there who try to make the Police do the wrong thing. Why?

I have no problem with OC! I just HATE the fact that if a Police Officer talks to them, they are offended and the Police are wrong... even though we are on the same team!
    I have encountered more than one OCer who wanted to make an issue out of a simple conversation... Why?

I hav

This is not the same... Let me tell you why...

There are a lot of OCers out there who try to make the Police do the wrong thing. Why?

I have no problem with OC! I just HATE the fact that if a Police Officer talks to them, they are offended and the Police are wrong... even though we are on the same team!
    I have encountered more than one OCer who wanted to make an issue out of a simple conversation... Why?

I hav
    I'm going to lay down one last personal observation here and my opinion. Are you trying to make friends or enemies on your pursuit of teamwork and happiness? Rest assured that you and I have no "issues" yet even if we were to meet face to face on the street. Keep a level head and act like one of us and you can walk down my alley any time and feel safe. I've only got one full year of psychology under my belt and that was junior year in high school as an elective course. I've never had the benefit of college courses. Feel free to PM me anytime you're looking for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm going to lay down one last personal observation here and my opinion. Are you trying to make friends or enemies on your pursuit of teamwork and happiness? Rest assured that you and I have no "issues" yet even if we were to meet face to face on the street. Keep a level head and act like one of us and you can walk down my alley any time and feel safe. I've only got one full year of psychology under my belt and that was junior year in high school as an elective course. I've never had the benefit of college courses. Feel free to PM me anytime you're looking for feedback.
    Im not trying to make friends... Im not trying to make enemies... I am just looking to stop the Police vs. US and curious as to why it has to be that way. OCers are on the same page as LEOs,right?

I recently started a Thread on the Open Carry Forum. I am suddenly curious about the thoughts of those who Conceal Carry regarding the same issue. The original message is as follows:

"First off, I want to say that I do not usually open carry, although I am usually armed. I have absolutely NO problem with Open Carry in general, but I am very curious about this. I am also a Police Officer.

Why are there so many OCers that seem like they are just out to give the Police a hard time? I can tell you that nobody I work with is out there trying to "harass" people legally carrying a firearm. In fact, most are all for it. I can also tell you that we HATE being dispatched to calls regarding things that are not illegal, such as a guy openly carrying a holstered firearm, but we still HAVE to go!

Instead of making YouTube Videos and giving the Police a hard time, why can't we work together? The majority of the time I have positive conversations with people who OC, but there are always some who just want to give you a hard time for no reason. I also try to call the complaintants back and I explain to them that nothing illegal or dangerous is occuring.

Don't you think this hurts the rest of us in the long run, in the public eye? I think this is definatly the case when you have people OCing an AK-47, for no reason, just so they get approached by a Police Officer (Almost ALWAYS resonding to citizen complaints!), just to get a YouTube video up.

It doesn't have to be OC Vs. Police...Why cant we just work together? "

I am curious about the thoughts on this from Concealed Carry people! From my experience, Concealed Carry individuals are respectful, offer their ID and CC permit, and they move on. There are open carry people out there who just want to challange us!

Thanks for the input!
    Quite simple:the LEO is offering a challenge by requesting ID when it is not required by law (in states where that is law). The LEO starts the confrontation by making a request that is not required. Then things go south when the citizen rightfully refuses to comply with something that he does not have to. Simple enough?

On a side not we always assume that there was a MWAG call. That is not always true. Officers stop folks OC'ing without a MWAG calls also becasue of various reasons. So not every incident is a call for service.

It's us vs BGs.. the way I see it at least.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Some departments may make getting a gun off the street rewarding to an LEO.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I personally think the vast majority of them are just looking for a way to get their 2 minutes of fame on You Tube. Right now the fastest way is by open carrying a gun. If it ever got to the point no one cared, or said anything about it, they would find something else to bring attention to themselves. They would walk down the street naked just so they could make their video, after all, it's their god given right to be naked. If god had not intended them to be naked, they would have been born with clothes on.

Does it strike anyone as odd, that the people being stopped are teens, 20's, and maybe a few early 30's? I don't remember seeing any "cop harassment" video's done by someone in their 50's or 60's.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have two primary objectives in my daily life.
    1. Provide for my family in the best manner I can
    2. Make it home to go to bed so I can get up and do it again tomorrow.

Any type of negative confrontation has the potential to jeopardize both of these.
    Winding up in jail on legitimate charges or trumped up bogus charges has the same effect.
    As far as some OC’ers fishing for confrontation, well if they are they are ignorant IMO.
    On a side note if I were LEO knowing this I would try (yes try) to view it from both sides if I must approach.
    “Excuse me sir we have had a call about a MWAG and I do realize it is your right to be armed; I am however required by my department to look into all complaints called into the department. If you could give me a moment so that I may then contact the concerned individual and assure them I spoke with you and that there was in fact no violation of law or any public safety issue I would appreciate it.”
    Now this would not diffuse all encounters but it would surely set the tone, and if an individual was fishing that statement would not make for great press (at least their version of it). I personally think it would make for great press but that is another matter.
    In my opinion the arguments many of them set forth they are easily disarmed if you stay within compliance of the laws. After all that is the leg they stand on, and the leg LEO’s should stand on.
    By letting someone know you see their point of view, understand, and respect it and that you are willing to go back and try and remedie this with the caller (when that is an option) it also shows that you support it. P
    ush the issue for ID if that does not fall within the scope of the law for a given area you are giving them the ammo they are after.
    I would hope all of this could open a dialogue that would benefit both parties in the long run.

Just my two cents

And for the record I carry both openly and concealed dependent on my personal view of the activities I will encounter. And yes I travel with more than on holster just in case something comes up that I view warrants a change.
    Pat
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I strive for invisibility, both where LEO's and the general public are concerned. Where I live I've never .. ever .. seen a citizen OCing. Doing so would be the same as attaching a neon sign to my head that says: I'm looking for trouble! That's kind of the opposite of the invisibility I seek.

My CC instructor, an NRA member for over 40 years and instructor for much of that, has CCed in NC since it became legal in 1996. He said he never OC's (which is ostensibly legal here) for the same reasons and recommended to students that they didn't. Or if they did, to be prepared for hassle. Very few citizens know gun law. My own wife was surprised to learn that I could CC just by taking a class and having a background check.

This is not intended to give advice, just my own thoughts on the subject. I think it would be great if OC were more accepted but as my grandpappy used to say: Wantin' ain't gettin'!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I think it's a very localized topic which has a lot to do with local laws.

For every 1 incident you hear about a cop 'harassing' an open carrier, there are 100's if not 1000's that go without incident.

Sponsored Links