Turning my wife around...

Turning my wife around...

This is a discussion on Turning my wife around... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is a Deputy Sheriff, working in Corrections. As such, there have been posts where she's required to carry a sidearm, but she'd rather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning my wife around...

Talking Turning my wife around...

My wife is a Deputy Sheriff, working in Corrections. As such, there have been posts where she's required to carry a sidearm, but she'd rather not. As such, she's always been one of those "Why do you need another gun?" people. I usually give her some cutsie answer about zombies and bears, and we work it out.

When I told her I finally decided to stop sitting and apply for my CCW license, her reply was predictable.

"Why!?"

She feels no need to carry a weapon off duty herself, so she couldn't understand why I would want to. Instead of giving her a flip "space aliens" quip (like normal), I tried to get as serious as I could. I said, "Because... when we got married, part of the oath I made was to defend you, and our kids, against anything that could ever harm you. I have no way of knowing what the future holds, but I feel that it's my duty to try to be prepared to meet whatever it has in store. Having the ability to carry a concealed weapon is just one more way to be prepared."

"Oh."

The first time I carried a pistol, she wasn't with me. She did call me, though. "How does it feel?" she asked.

"Truthfully, it feels like I've taken on a big responsibility..." I replied. I'm sure she expected a different answer... I think she expects me to try to be another Rambo, or something. Still...

We spent the past Sunday shopping. I was armed, and she knew it. As we returned home she remarked, "You know... I didn't think I would, but I actually felt safer today, knowing that you had your gun with you."

Baby steps.

Stay with it ceetee, she sounds like she's coming around. Some people take a little longer than others. My wife was a little concerned for the first week or so but now asks if I'm carrying before we go out!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Its great that she seems to finally be coming around. I would agree with ELCruisr -- stick with it and give her time to make the decision on her own. You guys will be heading the range before long. Took awhile with my wife but she eventually came around.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

that's great...

Your one step further along than I am ,with my sheeple

As has been stated , One step at a Time..
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mine started coming around and then zip it went the other way. Something in her head I guess.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

VIP Member
    Awesome Ceetee...thanks for sharing that story.

I once dated a county sheriff's deputy sargeant who rarely carried her weapon while off-duty. I always carried a weapon when we met, went out, I visited her, etc. One of those times was to her agency's Christmas party. She felt the gun behind my hip and was actually surprised to find me carrying a gun to the party since nearly everyone there was on the job. My response to her was similar to yours: I was going to do everything in my power to keep her and myself safe, and I wasn't going to transfer that responsibility to fellow LEOs.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

That is good to hear! I am glad she is coming around. Keep up the good work.

Every time I hear of these stories it makes me smile. My wife carries also and we belong to S.A.S. (Second Amendment Sisters, a 2A group primarily dedicated to women). The whole family belongs. It's a great organization.

Again, keep up the good work.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Talking

God Deal... Proceed with caution...lol
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

VIP Member
    Doin' good.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Well done...good luck with continuing efforts!

It also took my wife about a week. She hated the idea at first, now she's asking if I can carry in other states, and I always know when she's gone to condition orange, because she gently puts her arm around me to feel for my gun. She even made the comment that a girl can't feel safe anymore when I left my gun once. God I love her!!

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the first step. My wife and I were discussing the problems that husband have with wives concerning guns and concealed carry. I mentioned that an event that causes the wife to realize the danger that exists is often the catalyst for a change.

I also mentioned that we as males are not very good at expressing ourselves and that we generally don't take the time to explain that we take our responsibility to protect very seriously. Even when our wives are not actively opposed to our carrying we don't take the time to explain why we want them to. They tend to think that we are trying to pull a fast one. Get them to go to the range with us so that we can buy more toys. I believe that the simple truth would get more results. Admit that getting more toys is always a small portion of why. But explain that the real reason is because they matter to us. We want them to be safe, but just like the police can't protect us - we as husbands can't always be there to protect them. Our only recourse is to help them protect themselves. Then if this helps us get more toys great. If we don't get more toys it's still great. If they take our toys and claim them as their own it's still great. That's because the people we love are more important than toys.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

dr_cmg

Regarding the "It's just an excuse to buy more toys" excuse... That's partially true. My wife knows that I always want more toys to play with. Sometimes, though, the truth really is best. Having loaned my only shotgun to my brother years ago (which he never returned...), I wanted a new one. She knew I wanted one, but saw no "need" for me to buy one. Until the tiger got loose...

You see, I live in an area that's surrounded by... let's just call them "free spirits". That sounds better than "whackjobs"... One of these free spirits was a movie actor back in the sixties, and played the lead role in a couple of B-rated "Tarzan" movies. Since then, he's regarded himself as some kind of great white hunter. He has a private zoo of sorts; he keeps several "wild" animals (bears, a couple cougars, amongst others). His prize was a full-grown African tiger. Not long ago, the tiger escaped, and was roaming the streets of my quaint little rural community... Eventually the deputies caught up to him, and put him down.

Reading about the chase, my wife asked me what I would have done if the tiger showed up on our street. I merely said, "Not much, seeing as I don't have a nice, powerful shotgun to defend the house with..." (I completely failed to remind her of the .308 standing up behind the TV...)

Oh, yes.. sharing in my toys... You may be interested to know that on those occasions when she was assigned to an armed post, and required to qualify, her weapon if choice was... my old S&W 686.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links