The Mental Health of Americans on the decline?

This is a discussion on The Mental Health of Americans on the decline? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Columbine, Virginia Tech, Arizona shooting of Gabby Gifford, and now Colorado Batman Movie Massacre.....and as ususal, the focus is more gun control. The Media has ...

Like Tree27Likes
  • 5 Post By zonker1986
  • 2 Post By billstaf
  • 4 Post By Gene83
  • 3 Post By RightyLefty
  • 4 Post By BugDude
  • 6 Post By farronwolf
  • 1 Post By RKflorida
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By The Old Anglo

Thread: The Mental Health of Americans on the decline?

Columbine, Virginia Tech, Arizona shooting of Gabby Gifford, and now Colorado Batman Movie Massacre.....and as ususal, the focus is more gun control.

The Media has to dissect the lives and motives of each one of these shooters, and they become an instant celebrity, and we usually know more about them than we do our next door neighbors.
    Guns are the target.....More gun control and we'll be safer. We all cringe every time we hear the same worn out battle cry of the left....we know better.

The one thing we will not hear after one of these shootings is a discussion on "nut jobs". Its not newsworthy, and the media virutally ignores it. If there is a conclusion that the shooter was bat poop crazy, you might hear it once, and it goes away.
    Why is it that no one seems to want to discuss the decline of mental health in America, and the number of truly deranged people that are walking amongst us daily?
    There have been guns around in large numbers since the inception of this country. I don't remember someone wiping out a movie theater full of people when I was growing up. We had the University of Texas shooting back in the 60's, but it was later determined that the shooter had a large brainer tumor that was most like the result of his actions.

....why do we have more and more shootings like this today? Instant celebrity status for a complete loser? Too much Call of Duty MW3? No, I don't think a sane person looks to become a celebrity for killing innocent people, and COD MW3 is played by millions with no ill effects.

I am truly worried that mental health in America is on the decline in a very serious way, and more and more folks are just going totally Fruit Loops under the pressure presented by modern America.
    I've worked with several people over the last 15 years that really scared the crap out of me....amazed that they were walking around without a keeper. I'm sure most here know of a few as well. Interesting that James Holmes own mother knew the cops had the right guy. Thanks for letting the public know that your son was a potential mass killer there mom.

Personally, I feel that Mental Health should be the issue after a tragedy like the ones we've experienced over the last 15 years, not more gun control. These lunatics would find a way to kill using any device at their disposal, but unfortunately they used firearms, and those of us that own and carry guns responsibly ultimately pay the price. We hunker down after this type of event and hold our heads down low to try avoiding the confrontations we know are coming. We have no reason to have to defend our ownership of firearms from anyone, but we do. We aren't the crazy ones like James Holmes.

I own a lot more guns and have a lot more ammo than Mr. Holmes, and I have never had the urge to shoot innocent people....not once. On the other hand, I have had the urge to wish I was present during one of these tragedies with my loaded Glock 19 and had a clear shot at these poor excuses for human beings.....and I would empty one 15 round mag, and reload if I could and empty another one.
    It would be the least I could do to help with the Mental Health crisis in America today.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

It is probably important to understand what is happening here. It is not that the whole US is suffering from increased mental instability. Instead, what we have is a heck of a lot more financial instability. We have experienced a general decline in the quality of life for a lot of people. This includes loss of jobs, homes, medical insurance, savings, and retirement accounts. Additionally there is the resulting stress on families resulting in break-ups, divorces, and inter-family violence. Prospects for a brighter future seem dimmed as there are virtually no jobs available except minimum wage scut work jobs.

It has been said that many Americans are only one or two paychecks away from poverty. For a lot of Americans, that poverty has already arrived when the economy took a dump back in 2008. Now we have reached the point where some of the jobless have exhausted even their extended unemployment benefits.

It should be expected that some people are going to react badly to circumstances such as these. Crime and craziness is bound to be on the rise when people become desperate. The only thing we can do as individuals is stay alert and armed in order to protect ourselves and our loved ones from the kind of wild violence that seems to be on the rise today. As a country, we can use our collective votes to try and get this nation back on track so that people are working again and things can begin to return to normal. People who are well fed, sheltered, and employed tend to not cause trouble.
    msgt/ret and rammerjammer like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We've become a nation of false expectations and discontent. If you don't have a nice home and car. If you don't have a really good paying career and a perfect family. If you don't have a 4.0 grade point average and success as measured by some "reality" program that you saw on television, then you can't possibly be happy. If you're not thin enough, tan enough, and your teeth aren't white enough; then you must be a miserable slob who will never amount to anything. These unrealistic expectations make people who buy into that thinking miserable, and some people when they become miserable, want to rain on everyone else's parade and make them miserable also. Opening fire in a crowded theater is carrying that to the extreme, but we've become a nation of extremes.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I really believe we are raising a nation of wimpy kids. Kids nowadays are bubble wrapped from having to deal with any kind of adversity. Dodge ball is no longer allowed in school because the slow, pudgy kid is an easy target and has his feelings hurt because of the constant "abuse." All of us Gen. Xers and older played dodge ball as kids and many of us were constantly targeted and we turned out fine.

Playgrounds now have to have wood chips or ground up tires for padding to protect little Johnny or Susie from an abrasion on a knee or elbow. The playground I played on as a kid had concrete and gravel, I survived the scratches and bruises. What ever happened to, "just rub some dirt on it and you will be fine?"

Teachers now have to grade papers in some happy pastel color because seeing a bad grade in RED is too traumatizing to a kid.

Helicopter parents now are setting up job interviews for their kids and sometimes attending the interview with them.

None of this feel good crap helps prepare a kid for the real world. When they do have to face some adversity, they are in no way prepared for it and act out it some of these psychotic ways. Most of these mass killings of late have been done by kids in their teens and early 20s. We've had violence in movies for a long time. You had an occasional mass shooting 25-50 years ago. Now they are more common. Some say it is the video games. If there was the technology 25-50 years ago to play games like Halo, CoD, Battlefield etc., I don't think we would have all of these mass shootings. So no I don't believe it is just the movies, games, pop culture etc. To me the parenting and by extension what is being taught in schools has gotten worse and kids are being sheltered from the "pitfalls" of the real world and are not being exposed to it and learning how to cope with it.

Well, the number of extreme events will go up with population and with increased ability to report. If these types of mental illness exist in the population as some type of per capita ratio, then you'll just see more of them as more people are born.

Now, specifically, schizophrenia runs at about 1% of the population. Being raised in a completely urban setting increases the chance that it will manifest. It's a horrid disease, and really, really hurts families. As well, 1% is an incidence rate that is really noticable. We tend to ignore it, which is weird given how awful it is. It's one of those diseases that needs a greater application of science, but rarely do people write cheques to those types of charities.

Luckily, just like in 'normal' society, the ratio of violent people is very low. Very, very few schizophrenics are naturally inclined towards violence.
    There WILL be patents with this (simple) discovery. That, and "type III levers". It's untapped wealth, waiting for you who Google. Or your kids. People expanding on the potential are welcome to elucidate; I didn't phrase it well

Sensory overload, violent movies and TV, internet and video games, too much sensationalized media hype. Add on top a high single parent family rate, decline in church-centered life, financial ruin, debt, loss of jobs, etc. and it becomes a pressure cooker for kids and young adults that they were ill-prepared to handle because of the sterilized environment that has been created. When I was a kid, everyone didn't always win and get a trophy. Kids had to learn to deal with disappointment. Kids had to learn to be accountable for their own actions. Life hurt, and when you were stupid it hurt even more. For a vast majority of people, they have the ability to handle all of this stuff without resorting to mass violence. Maybe not handle it in the most healthy of manners, but not letting their cheese slide all the way off of their cracker. For a very small percentage of people who have some type of personality disorder or mental illness, they blow a gasket. I personally feel like as long as the media continues to plaster these villians names and pictures all over the TV, internet, and newspaper and tell their life stories this kind of stuff will continue. That's what they want, and the media is giving it to them. They want to feel significant, they want to be known by people for something, anything. The media is just pouring fuel on the fire by playing right into what they are trying to accomplish.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Mental health issues only get a fraction of the funding that goes towards research and treatments of other illnesses. Couple that with the fact that a large percentage of people with mental health issues are also addicted to drugs or alcohol which only exacerbates their mental health issues, and then they turn to petty crimes (or worse) to support their habits. I'm sure LEO's here will agree that addiction/mental health/incarceration issues go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately, as budgets get tight, and tax revenues decline, drug treatment and mental health treatment are many times the first programs that get cut.

I know this is going to come across as simplistic, but I think the reason is that kids don't get thier asses whipped any more.

There are no consequences of bad behavior growing up. Not at home (we do at my house), not in school, not in the public sector. Parents send their kids to their room where there are toys to play with when they do something wrong. They ground them from something. Big deal. At school they send them to the office, heck the kid just got out of the class he didn't want to be in. In the public, there are less and less juvenile detention centers, so the kids get a slap on the wrist and are sent home to mom and dad until they work up to crimes where prison is punishment.

I am a firm believer that if you do something wrong, the punishment should hurt. That definately made me think twice when growing up. And no, I don't beat my son. In fact I haven't spanked him in well over a year I guess. But he definately knows that is a consequence of doing something really stupid, he doesn't like it so he thinks before he acts.

The other things people have mentioned are also contributing factors, and every case is different. However when a society gets to the point where there aren't consequences for bad actions people aren't afraid to act badly.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Society actually rewards people for being irresponsible. I have an able-bodied extended family member that has CHOSEN not to work for the last 15 years. What does she get? A free gov't ride. Her free gov't cell phone has a better plan than I do...and I have to pay for mine. Now let's give these folks free health care and they'll never have a reason to be responsible contributing members of society.

VIP Member
    I think all of ya'll who posted about this so far, have added a credible input to the formula.

I'm no psych person, I'm just a 60 year old guy who has enjoyed "studying" the various personalities of people. I could be very wrong here, but it seems to me I'm seeing more people that concern me now, than I did 20 years ago.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

People would also be surprised at the number of Psychopaths and Sociopaths that are walking around society. Many of us know them, have family members, co-workers, etc. Many are functioning level people (read "White Collar Psychopath"). The issue is these people are very smart, but their brains are wired differently. They process emotions with the language center of the brain. They know they should feel certain things, but don't. They know society expects them to react to emotionally charged stuff so they learn to act by observing others emoting. They know the words, but not the music. They often enjoy inflicting emotional tolls on others in order to observe them emote. They find it fascinating because they don't experience it themselves. They look at a horrific scene and they find it interesting, not horrific. For those who have never had to deal with someone like this on a day in and day out basis, it is hard to comprehend. I personally worked with someone that was a very high level psychopath for over 10 years, and unfortunately they were in a very high level position of power and influence and I worked closely with them. The manipulation, vendictiveness, and just pure evil was astonishing. This individual was so intelligent that they were 5 steps ahead of everyone else all the time. You can't win or even keep up. Your only defense is to avoid and NEVER tell them anything about your personal life. It is scary how many psychopaths and sociopaths there are in our society...many at varying levels, but then what does it take to push them over the edge???

I agree that busting your kids butts would go a long way to correcting our "youth" problem. We live in a society where the word "No" is an anathema or curse. This applies to people from children to seniors. People have developed an entitlement mentality and cannot stand to be told NO.

As far as mental health and drugs, I believe the person who takes the drugs or booze has a problem, after the drugs/booze has it's way with them, they have a huge problem that is non-fixable in many cases.

I'm a firm believer that this is all a result of Sin. In fact, it's a natural result of sin. Don't look for things to get better.
    goldmaster likes this.

I think Bugdude and farronwolf are the closest to the right answer. We took corporal punishment along with God out of our schools years ago. We have also removed it from most homes along with a dad through the great society experiment. Folks we have sowed to the wind and are now reaping the whirlwind. We have kids with no discipline and no moral basis to make judgements within life. They crave attention and a lot of it because we have indulged the narcissitic part of them from little babies. Basically we have destroyed and entire generation or two with our own stupidity. Best way to start to stop it at this moment in time is to make an example out of the center of attention in the country at his moment. This little murdering jerk should be tryed in a fifteen minute trial tomorrow and publicily executed the same day. Strong message maybe but long overdue.
    Last edited by Jeff F; July 22nd, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Sensory overload, violent movies and TV, internet and video games, too much sensationalized media hype. Add on top a high single parent family rate, decline in church-centered life, financial ruin, debt, loss of jobs, etc. and it becomes a pressure cooker for kids and young adults that they were ill-prepared to handle because of the sterilized environment that has been created. When I was a kid, everyone didn't always win and get a trophy. Kids had to learn to deal with disappointment. Kids had to learn to be accountable for their own actions. Life hurt, and when you were stupid it hurt even more. For a vast majority of people, they have the ability to handle all of this stuff without resorting to mass violence. Maybe not handle it in the most healthy of manners, but not letting their cheese slide all the way off of their cracker. For a very small percentage of people who have some type of personality disorder or mental illness, they blow a gasket. I personally feel like as long as the media continues to plaster these villians names and pictures all over the TV, internet, and newspaper and tell their life stories this kind of stuff will continue. That's what they want, and the media is giving it to them. They want to feel significant, they want to be known by people for something, anything. The media is just pouring fuel on the fire by playing right into what they are trying to accomplish.
    I wish I could like this twice. Amen, brotha, amen.
    Freedom Doc likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    All you have to do is look at what`s on T.V. Stupid idiotic Commercials and Reality shows that are dumber than a box of rocks. I have trees in my yard with more sense than that. Turn off the Tube Folks and maybe they`ll get the message.
    BugDude likes this.

Sponsored Links