Turning into my father

Turning into my father

This is a discussion on Turning into my father within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get home from work on Friday, and plan to sit in front of the biggest AC vent in the house all weekend. A steak, a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Turning into my father

Turning into my father

Get home from work on Friday, and plan to sit in front of the biggest AC vent in the house all weekend. A steak, a few beers, and movies with the family sounds like a fine plan.

Then I hear about Colorado.

Sympathy, anger, resignation for the inevitable Brady Bunch to start screaming. Again.

Aurora. Colorado Springs. Virginia Tech. Columbine. On and on.

I was always under the impression that as I get older, my patience and tolerance would increase. It seems to be the opposite. As I look at the rash of shootings over the last 10-15 years, my tolerance grows thin, same as my father. It seems as though nearly all of these shootings occur at "gun free zones." Turns out these zones are not so gun free after all. And yet they continue. And will continue.

Because nothing is done to deter them.

We all know that outlawing guns or any restrictive legislation will have the same success rate that outlawing drugs has had. None. It is at this point that I feel I have turned into the same grouchy, intolerant, angry person that my father is. The solution is simple, yet the majority cannot see it. They feel that the solution will add to the problem. Their solution is what would truly add to the problem. And this frustrates me. Yeah, the antis will get their day in the sun, more legislation will be demanded, the families will bury their dead, and it all gets forgotten until the next one.

And more will die, because we have legislation to save us from ourselves.

They fear us, the ones who can and certainly would help. We who play by the rules.

Funny thing. As I get older, I sound more and more like my father, a combat vet. And know I know why.

Senior Moderator

It happens.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah, one morning you just get up and look in the mirror and there's your old man looking back at you. Surprisingly, he looks a lot smarter than you remember him.
    mano3 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

As similar things happen I notice the same thing happening to me in regards to the old man. It makes me truly thankful for who he is and that I had and still have him around.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    As similar things happen I notice the same thing happening to me in regards to the old man. It makes me truly thankful for who he is and that I had and still have him around.
    Yeah, my fishing buddy died in '87. Still miss him.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

As I got older my father seemed to get smarter and make more sense. When he died it was like a whole library had burned down. I miss him.
    BugDude and Brad426 like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

GH
    I realized that I had turned into my dad shortly after he died. More amazing is that my 27 - year old son is turning into me. He joined the Army because I had recently retired form it. He became an Airborne Ranger because my first branch was the Navy ( he wasn't about to go that far) & I was in the UDT, later the SEALs, both of which required being Airborne qualified & I was a Paratrooper in the Army. I never talked to him too much about the military or what I did but that's the route he took on his own. He felt he had to keep the tradition going.

My dad, my son & I profess Christianity, freedom & 2nd amendment advocacy. A love of God, family & country. Since I was in the Army during my son's early childhood I don't believe I was such an influence on him as to "brainwash" him. My dad was soft spoken & rarely would you hear him talk about politics. But I knew.
    danwdooley and BurgerBoy like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    The tolerance level builds to a certain point, then you just turn into a crotchety old man!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    A steak, a few beers, and movies with the family sounds like a fine plan. I was always under the impression that as I get older, my patience and tolerance would increase. It seems to be the opposite.
    Another impatient, low tolerance, meat eating, beer swilling, gun toting, family loving person railing at the machine. OMG, it's Sarah Palin. Hey, Hon ... look, we've got SP here on DC!

Seriously, though, you're right: nothing will change so long as nothing gets done other than cleaning up the messes. So long as those daring to carry the means of their own defense are criminalized, and so long as criminal-empowerment zones are so plentiful, murderous cretins will continue to be drawn to prey upon the most vulnerable. Sad, when it's our hirelings (the political hacks and judiciary types) doing it to us.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Your dad's been through the mill, your just catching up!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! This means you have grown up and matured into a fine individual. You don't get old by being stupid. I told my wife my goal was to become a grumpy old man....well, I can check off the grumpy part and I'm well on my way to the old part. The older I get, the more I understand my Dad...and the more like him I get. Knowing the kind of man he is, I'm proud...as I'm sure you are as well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

It means your dad raised you right. I keep reminding myself of that every time my wife says, "You sound just like your father!".

Beyond the dead and wounded in Aurora, I would be disappointed to find out one of them was a holder of a concealed carry permit who chose to go unarmed along with the sheep. And from this point on it will be even more stupid because of the copy cat devils out there.

How bad do you really want to see this goofy movie?

Well, pretty bad. I did bring a wee arsenal with me, heh-heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    As I got older my father seemed to get smarter and make more sense. When he died it was like a whole library had burned down. I miss him.
    "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."
    - Mark Twain
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    My dad has always been there to help guide me in the right direction. The older I have gotten the more he has become a best friend. I think him (and mom) for molding me to the man I am today. Being more like him is an honor.
    ron8903 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links