What happens if you use your weapon for SD in a No-Gun Private Est.?

This is a discussion on What happens if you use your weapon for SD in a No-Gun Private Est.? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I understand it, if you are carrying and happen to be in a private establishment that does not allow this, they can ask you ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By wmhawth
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Dutch1951
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: What happens if you use your weapon for SD in a No-Gun Private Est.?

What happens if you use your weapon for SD in a No-Gun Private Est.?

As I understand it, if you are carrying and happen to be in a private establishment that does not allow this, they can ask you to leave, and if you don't go, you can be cited for trespassing.

What happens if you are in one of these establishments, and God forbid, you have to use your weapon to defend you or a loved one from a BG?
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

2. Remove Ads

You live and spend all your money on lawyers.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

What happens if you are in one of these establishments, and God forbid, you have to use your weapon to defend you or a loved one from a BG?
    The gravity of that situation will have the significance of your violation of the business' no gun policy shrink to nothing. It will be the least of your concerns.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    It will depend on several things. Do No Guns signs carry the weight of law? Was it deemed a justified shooting?

If the signs carry the weight of law, you may be charged with violating that law. If the shooting is deemed justified, then the shooting itself should not come into play, only the sign violation. If the shooting is deemed not justified you face multiple charges.

If signs do not carry the weight of law and the shooting is deemed justified, there should not be any charges. If deemed not justified you face charges from the shooting only.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six........
    JerryMac likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Maybe you'll live through the encounter and get to tell about it here on DefensiveCarry.com.

However....since we dont allow the discussion of illegal activities here on DC, as much as I hate to, I'm going to shut this one down.
    JerryMac likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Here's a related example; you decide the relevance:

Several years ago in CT, a cabbie without a pistol permit shot and killed an armed robber who stabbed him. The law took a dim view of him carrying a handgun without a permit, and he based his defense on the fact that CT laws allowed you to keep a handgun at home our in your place of business without a permit. The state initially dismissed the case based on the cabbie's interpretation of his cab as his "place of business." Unfortunately the state appealed the dismissal and won. The cabbie faced no charges related to the death of the robber, but he ultimately pled guilty to a felony weapons charge and was sentenced to probation. So he lived to see his wife and child, but he now has a felony conviction and can no longer own firearms. Lawyer wants gun charge tossed

That's just one situation where a statutory violation didn't end up well for the accused.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links