risk/benefit

risk/benefit

This is a discussion on risk/benefit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just joined the community....and I have a question, or more of a concern, I am interested on the communites on it.... As someone who ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: risk/benefit

risk/benefit

I just joined the community....and I have a question, or more of a concern, I am interested on the communites on it.... As someone who carries a firearm concealed, I sometimes hesitate to even carry it because i do not want the decision of having to make to use it. I understand that I would rather be alive than dead, but as a professional ( doctor ) IF i had to shoot someone (right or wrong) the repercussions are so numerous, expensive, exhausting and time consuming. They can include, but not limited to, criminal court, civil court (by the perp or their estate), loss of status in the community and loss of job ( what hospital wants to be affiliated with a gunman).
    These repercussions alone make me less inclined to carry due to the post firing of a firearm which could be life devestating ( loss of job, income, civil costs,etc.. ).
    what is one to do???
    thank you in advance.
    doc with a gloc(actually is an MandP)

Distinguished Member
    If you aren't going to carry because of that, don't carry. But also realize that you will not have protection. If you can't resolve to shoot someone when in a situation that warrants it because of the possiblity of repercussions, then by all means do not carry. I think the rest of us out there who do carry would rather not have anyone who isn't comfortable with it carrying. They would only make things potentially worse.

Ultimately it is your own decision. Is having the ability to at least have a chance to keep you and your family alive at a time when it most counts important? Or is the fear of repercussions the most important thing for you?
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

You're not a doc with a glock, but an MD with an M&P.

If you don't carry, you may find yourself in a worse position. You or you're family may be needlessly dead or injured. If you only draw and shoot when justified, you will have done the just thing.
    Last edited by Dandyone; July 23rd, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Dang autospell...
    Simonsay, JoeK and Rock and Glock like this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

First welcome to the forum,
    Realize the choice to carry is personal as a Dr. you have sworn an oath to save lives. Ironically that is why I carry and would like to presume it is why most carry. Realize it is only one tool in your arsenal and just because you have it with you does not mean you have to use it. I have had a situation where I truly believe I would have been justified in using my side arm against an individual, however with the given circumstances I opted not to (and yes I reflect upon the additional danger I put myself in in doing so). As long as you are prepared to use it if YOU deem it is necessary then I would carry. If you have it it’s an option if you choose not to and need it you are out if luck.
    The old adage over dress you can always take a layer off but you cannot put it on if you don’t have it.
    My two cents
    Best regards and once again welcome aboard.
    Pat
    ep1953 likes this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

An MD with an M&P.

You might look into less lethal forms of protection like pepper spray.
    mano3 likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Only you can decide the risk/benefit ratio in your life...

What is your life worth? What are the lives of your loved ones worth? Is life worth more than "stuff" (to include money, prestige, position)? Is life worth more than freedom (in the event of incarceration)?

I would do anything to protect my loved ones...
    I would feel beyond horrible, if I had the opportunity to protect my loved ones and failed to try for lack of a tool I had every right to use in their defense.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I can only respond with a question. Is being dead an acceptable alternative to the things you've mentioned? If so put the gun up and leave it. If not carry and like the rest of us, pray you never need it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes, potential repercussions can be many. Particularly if you foul up the decision-making process at the time you feel you need to use deadly force, then those repercussions could be devastating.

But it comes down to one simple question: if your life is about to be taken from you violently, what are you prepared to do in order to survive that? Think it through. From those questions, the rationale should become fairly clear in your mind after clearly reviewing the simple reality of the situation, the risks, the potential landmines you might encounter. It's a dead-or-alive choice you're making. If unwilling based on the simple realities, then a deadly-force weapon and training probably isn't for you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    What is your life worth to you? What are the lives of your loved ones worth to you? That should be why you carry, and if you value those things the most (refraining from waxing theological), then you just have to deal with the rest when/if it comes.

I don't want to deal with all of the practical consequences of being in a situation where I had to use my firearm for SD or in defense of others, but I carry because I have already accepted that there are things more important to me.

Also, Welcome! And, don't be an MD with an ND
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by erdocsg View Post
    I just joined the community....and I have a question, or more of a concern, I am interested on the communites on it.... As someone who carries a firearm concealed, I sometimes hesitate to even carry it because i do not want the decision of having to make to use it. I understand that I would rather be alive than dead, but as a professional ( doctor ) IF i had to shoot someone (right or wrong) the repercussions are so numerous, expensive, exhausting and time consuming. They can include, but not limited to, criminal court, civil court (by the perp or their estate), loss of status in the community and loss of job ( what hospital wants to be affiliated with a gunman).
    These repercussions alone make me less inclined to carry due to the post firing of a firearm which could be life devestating ( loss of job, income, civil costs,etc.. ).
    what is one to do???
    thank you in advance.
    Please do not take this the wrong way, I mean no malice in my thoughts here.... You have lost already. Your mindset is more towards your social grace, rather that the protection of yourself and your family. Sell the Glock, get the bubbly out and have a party. IMO, you are more of a danger to yourself with your gun, if this is truly your attitude towards it.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Welcome to the forum.

The decision to be willing to take a life to protect yourself or a loved one is a very personal decision and no one can help you with that decision. If you are not willing to kill another human to save yourself or family then do not carry a lethal force option.

Taser makes a civilian version that sells for about $450. It is a one shot deal.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by erdocsg View Post
    what is one to do???
    thank you in advance.
    You like living? Tell you what......test yourself with someone who's adamant about taking your life and defending yourself. Don't shoot to wound....but shoot to kill. Then operate on them and save their life if you are able to do so.
    If you have a deep down question or conflict of interest on the killing a fellow human being ordeal, then maybe you should take a vacation and forget about it for a while. After all.....it's your life (give or take) and YOU are in control. Nobody's forcing you to defend yourself or ultimately kill anyone else. You're completely free to decide things on your own.

Something only you can answer. I do not trust my fate to some meth head. You need training andeducationto know the lethal force laws. I'd rather be alive to defend my actions than dead and leave my family to deal with life on their own.
    ccwguy and BurgerBoy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You have a choice. If for all of the reasons you mentioned you choose not to carry, then resign yourself cheating all of the persons you swore an oath to heal as a doctor if you are killed by some low life piece of garbage who will never be anything but a burden on society. Then by all means get rid of your guns and let the police protect you. I hope you choose to carry because we need all of the good doctors we can get and all of the responsible concealed carriers we can get also.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links