Wondering why the wait is so long for an Oklahoma CCL?

This is a discussion on Wondering why the wait is so long for an Oklahoma CCL? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spouse just waited 111 days for CCP to finally be processed. That included 3 sets of fingerprints (the first two weren't adequate). We were told ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering why the wait is so long for an Oklahoma CCL?

Spouse just waited 111 days for CCP to finally be processed. That included 3 sets of fingerprints (the first two weren't adequate). We were told that the 90 day legislated deadline for processing only started AFTER all info. received by OSBI (already been processed through county sheriff's office) and from the date an adequate set of fingerprints obtained. So, the 90 day deadline is more like possibly 6 months.

We found this article helpful to understand what is happening. It seems the biggest part of the problem is the flood of new applicants for permits, which is good news and the sliver lining in this cloud.

Flood Of Applications Delays Oklahoma Concealed Carry Licenses - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

I waited the full 90 days for mine. Seemed like forever. My wife got hers after about a month and a half last summer. Who knows. The fact remains that they consistently get them out, time issues aside.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I waited the full 90 days for mine. Seemed like forever. My wife got hers after about a month and a half last summer. Who knows. The fact remains that they consistently get them out, time issues aside.
    We see the law are requiring that the State must act within ninety days. The States looks at the law as saying that they can take the full ninety days. Is anyone surprised that the Government is postponing doing something for the full grace period allowed?
    I would bet that if the law required them to act within 120 days it would take them the full 120 days. I also believe that if the law specified that they either issue or deny within one week they would do that too.

The law says that the government does not have to do anything for ninety days. Why would they do otherwise?

Michael

I'm at day 87. Kinda ancy about now.

Donnie

Call your sheriff's department and talk to whoever is in charge of the applications. Mine showed up before I got the letter.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Indiana rocks for CCL...I filled out an online CCL application on a Monday night, did the electronic fingerprints the next day, then went to the PD and paid my fee. By Saturday on that same week, I received my license in the mail....6 days.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Call your sheriff's department and talk to whoever is in charge of the applications. Mine showed up before I got the letter.
    I picked up her card when I turned everything in 87 days ago. I dropped her a friendly e-mail this morning. I plan on calling her thursday if I haven't got a response.

[QUOTE=stancehold;2329850]Spouse just waited 111 days for CCP to finally be processed. That included 3 sets of fingerprints (the first two weren't adequate). We were told that the 90 day legislated deadline for processing only started AFTER all info. received by OSBI (already been processed through county sheriff's office) and from the date an adequate set of fingerprints obtained. So, the 90 day deadline is more like possibly 6 months.

How soon into the process were you notified about the first set of prints? I'm at 87 days.

[QUOTE=Dono;2329977]
    Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    Spouse just waited 111 days for CCP to finally be processed. That included 3 sets of fingerprints (the first two weren't adequate). We were told that the 90 day legislated deadline for processing only started AFTER all info. received by OSBI (already been processed through county sheriff's office) and from the date an adequate set of fingerprints obtained. So, the 90 day deadline is more like possibly 6 months.

How soon into the process were you notified about the first set of prints? I'm at 87 days.
    The first notification that fingerprints needed to be redone seemed to be around day 45. Second notice around day 75 or 80. We spoke with the head of OSBI. We were told they could not show preferential treatment to anyone by rushing one person's permit process and to be patient. He also informed us that the 90 day count did not start until they had everything "at OSBI" that they needed, including quality figerprints meeting FBI standards. (The fingerprints were taken twice at our sheriff's office, but finally required going downtown to OSBI and having them done digitally.) The count does not begin when you take your paperwork to your sheriff's office.

The permit was received on day 111. Yes, we're glad to have it. But, our state sure could learn from other states about how to streamline this process. We also got the call from the sheriff's office to pick up the permit LONG before the OSBI letter arrived. The letter telling us the permit was ready for pick up came about 3 weeks after our sheriff called us to come and pick it up.

Thanks. I guess I'll hurry up and wait. Unfortunaly my sheriffs office is nowhere near where I live and I work blocks from OSBI. I'm worried about my left thumb print anyway. Had a slight boo boo. >[QUOTE=stancehold;2330026]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post

The first notification that fingerprints needed to be redone seemed to be around day 45. Second notice around day 75 or 80. We spoke with the head of OSBI. We were told they could not show preferential treatment to anyone by rushing one person's permit process and to be patient. He also informed us that the 90 day count did not start until they had everything "at OSBI" that they needed, including quality figerprints meeting FBI standards. (The fingerprints were taken twice at our sheriff's office, but finally required going downtown to OSBI and having them done digitally.) The count does not begin when you take your paperwork to your sheriff's office.

The permit was received on day 111. Yes, we're glad to have it. But, our state sure could learn from other states about how to streamline this process. We also got the call from the sheriff's office to pick up the permit LONG before the OSBI letter arrived. The letter telling us the permit was ready for pick up came about 3 weeks after our sheriff called us to come and pick it up.

Ever wonder how many fingerprints the OSBI reject from other government agencies who took prints of criminals? My local Sheriff has told me that the OSBI is perfectly happy with the prints he sends in after booking someone. Its only the prints they send in for carry permits that have problems.
    He could be full of it but I tend to believe him.

Michael

VIP Member
    The wait is a good thing! It is because so many people are getting CCLs in your state.

90 days plus the mail does suck.

I got mine around day 64. But I didn't get the letter from OSBI for another 20 days or so. I've talked to some other people who have had the same thing happen. From what I understand it's running about 60 days, from the date your payment cleared, right now for the license to be printed and sent to the SO. Then they wait to send your letter. I'd suggest calling you sheriff around day 65 an ask if they have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Payment cleared 5/16. Hopefuly I'll get a email response. If not I'm calling Thursday.

Donnie

Mine came in at day 62 with a call from our county sheriff. Spouse's took 111 days and sheriff again called when it came in. Our local range owner says that most people that have applied since March or April are having to wait at least 90 days or more. OSBI is overwhelmed with apps. >1,000 per week. Yep, that's a good thing! The wait, however, makes one on edge.

I was glad to read they are hiring more help, at least temporarily. I think they will need more help on a permanent basis as permit applications continue to rise and gun sales do the same.

We did ask our sheriff's dept. if criminal fingerprints had to be submitted multiple times to make sure they were "good". The person we talked to said they didn't know because they didn't work in that area. It does make you wonder.

It was explained to us that people with wavy fingerprints, rather than swirls, were much more likely to have problems since those were much more difficult to get good prints done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links