How do states determine reciprocity laws re: CCW?

This is a discussion on How do states determine reciprocity laws re: CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anybody explain how different states determine reciprocity with each other regarding CCW? Looking at maps showing which states honor each others permits, I can't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do states determine reciprocity laws re: CCW?

How do states determine reciprocity laws re: CCW?

Can anybody explain how different states determine reciprocity with each other regarding CCW? Looking at
    maps showing which states honor each others permits, I can't find a rhyme or reason. For instance I live in Virginia
    and we honor Texas permits. Nevada honors Texas permits also, but yet Virginia and Nevada don't honor each others.
    Just as an example, what is it about Texas that Virginia and Nevada say your "ok" in my state but we're no good for each other.
    Just curious

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The process and criteria varies from state to state.

Many use the "significantly similar" rule to determine. As in, "if their rules and requirement are significantly similar to ours".

I'm sure there are some that base it on who they like that day.

Here's how it works in Oregon: Technically, we use the "significantly similar" rule, but the state legislature set it upon the state police to determine what states' permits we would recognize. There was no incentive or mandate for the state police to choose anyone, so they haven't. Consequently, Oregon does not recognize any other states' permits.

In PA and West Virginia, I am pretty sure that the Attorney General engages in agreements with other states.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Speak with your issuing authority for answers on this subject.

There are at least 50 different answers to your question. I would suggest contacting your state's AG
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Fifty different legislatures; thousands of different legislators. Everybody does their own thing.
    The only real solution here is national reciprocity; and too many of our participants here oppose that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by birdy View Post
    Nevada honors Texas permits also, but yet Virginia and Nevada don't honor each others.
    Just as an example, what is it about Texas that Virginia and Nevada say your "ok" in my state but we're no good for each other.
    You got me excited for a minute. But NV does not honor TX permits. But I understand what your saying.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    There are at least 50 different answers to your question. I would suggest contacting your state's AG
    No, only 49 answers.

It mostly breaks down to:

State will honor another that has similar or better standards

State will honor another state with which it has explicitly made an agreement

State will honor another state which honors its permit

State will honor all other states' permits

State won't honor anybody else's permit (and may barely honor its own.)
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

With any luck maybe the other states will follow the tarheels lead and blanket honor ALL other states permits. NC is finally getting the right ideas.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    First off don't confuse reciprocity with recognition. Each state sits their own criteria. Some opt for recognition of another states permit and do not have a written reciprocity agreement.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Fifty different legislatures; thousands of different legislators. Everybody does their own thing.
    The only real solution here is national reciprocity; and too many of our participants here oppose that.
    The Federal Government does not make bills that cover only one area of a regulation. Any bill for national reciprocity originating in D.C. would have be complete and will make the rounds of all the reps. First off, the bill would have to also cover a Federal Standard for Carry Privileges, to define what is meant by carry. Second studies would be done to determine the danger to public safety that may be involved ( the Brady group has some excellent statistics that they have gathered/originated to help in this.) Then we would have to determine a model to be followed (the most powerful states are California, Illinois and New York , primarily NYC.) and most likely these states' laws would serve as the model as their representatives are the most powerful in Congress.

Ask yourself: "Do you really want to see what would happen to National Carry based on the above assumptions?"
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

In Florida,The Dept. of Agriculture specifically lists the states it has reciprocity with on their site.
    I believe it requires a written agreement between the 2 states. Why The Dept. of Agriculture? They issue FL carry permits and it was set up this way in 1987 to take the authority out of the hands of Law Enforcement. Of course,they still do back round checks.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    The Federal Government does not make bills that cover only one area of a regulation. Any bill for national reciprocity originating in D.C. would have be complete and will make the rounds of all the reps. First off, the bill would have to also cover a Federal Standard for Carry Privileges, to define what is meant by carry. Second studies would be done to determine the danger to public safety that may be involved ( the Brady group has some excellent statistics that they have gathered/originated to help in this.) Then we would have to determine a model to be followed (the most powerful states are California, Illinois and New York , primarily NYC.) and most likely these states' laws would serve as the model as their representatives are the most powerful in Congress.

Ask yourself: "Do you really want to see what would happen to National Carry based on the above assumptions?"
    Have you actually read HR 822 or the two Senate bills? http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr822rfs.pdf
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

GH
    I think the training requirements (or lack thereof) determine which states another state recognizes for CCW. Many states won't add a state with less training or other requirements than their own to their reciprocity list.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Moderator
    Alabama will honor any other permit from a state which honors its permit
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links