Where is "printing" illegal?

This is a discussion on Where is "printing" illegal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In reading through the threads on here to better educate myself as I wait for my concealed carry permit I have run across a few ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Where is "printing" illegal?

Where is "printing" illegal?

In reading through the threads on here to better educate myself as I wait for my concealed carry permit I have run across a few posts stating that printing is illegal. I'm curious WHERE (what states/cities) printing or part of your gun showing as you reach to a high shelf (as an example) is illegal in case I travel to such a place.
    I have been reading up on other states' laws with 3 different apps on my phone, and haven't run across it yet.
    I'm not worried about it around here, since Michigan is an open carry state - but I do travel a lot.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

I know the printing of U.S. Currency is illegal almost everywhere outside of The Mint!

I am not acquainted with State Statutes regarding any "ineffective" attempt to conceal a handgun. It was not mentioned in the manual, lecture or written exam of my Ky. Concealed Permit class. I personally believe I have a serious responsibility to KEEP my handgun from public view to prevent undue attention & avoid the suggestion of "brandishing" a firearm. Past that? I too would be interested in any state than I could be sited...for being sighted.
    Aceoky and BenGoodLuck like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Any state that has CC on the books has a law that says it the gun is noticeable (printing on PORPUSE) then you are violation of the law. You took a class, did they not cover this?

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Any state that has CC on the books has a law that says it the gun is noticeable (printing on PORPUSE) then you are violation of the law. You took a class, did they not cover this?
    What if the state also allows OC? Many do. NC does. I know of nowhere in NC where you can CC but not OC. All of our laws (to include signs) say either Guns are allowed or Guns are Not Allowed. They don't stipulate whether the gun can be visible or not. That said, my personal opinion is that OC where I live is not a good idea because you just set yourself up for confrontation.

Tennessee does not have such a law. Their "Carry Weapons" law was not written as a "Concealed Weapons" law, thus it avoids legal issues in situations where a firearm was "printing or part of your gun showing as you reach to a high shelf"
    Jollymann likes this.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Oklahoma as of right now has issues with printing. If someone can discern that you have a firearm, you're in trouble. Theoretically. No one should really care, because in November open carry becomes legal.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My understanding in Wa was no big deal since we are an oc state as well. I could be incorrect.

"You took a class, did they not cover this?"

No. Didn't cover crap.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Wa state doesnt have a class which is dumb. There is a stick for a site on here. Gunlaws something? I know another member will know. I think the admin there is a member and he keeps it up to date. Thats is where I got a lot of my info.

Not true.
    MleeC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    Wa state doesnt have a class which is dumb.
    Not dumb. Shouldn't need a class to learn the laws.
    Jollymann and Nmuskier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    "You took a class, did they not cover this?"

No. Didn't cover crap.
    in Texas the CC class teacher can't be sued for misinformation so what happens is there is a lot of bad info and misinformed info given out'
    I say it all the time read the book (if they gave you one) and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of all study laws in YOUR state

In Wisconsin you can open carry without a license, you must obtain a license to cover it. If you are printing it doesn't matter, your legal if it shows.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Not dumb. Shouldn't need a class to learn the laws.
    I have to respectfully disagree.

Given some of the behavior I have seen at ranges and just other people carrying, I would support a drivers ed type class to teach people not only the rules of the state but also around the gun. Its mandatory to have a dl right? And you have to pass a test to show minimum proficiency.

I know it might not be a popular position, but I cant think of anything dangerous I have done for work or play that didnt require training and in many cases mandatory:
    Cars, skiing, hiking, guns, heavy equipment, computers, anything is "dangerous" if you arent taught how to use it.

For example there was a guy extremely angry at the range because his glock didnt have a manual external safety. He should know the mechanical operation of his firearm.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Might be a good addition to Handgunlaw.us if there truly are places where "printing" is illegal. Printing is defined in the glossary of handgunlaw.us as "A condition in which the outline of the concealed handgun may be discerned through the outer clothing. The firearm itself is not visible, but its presence and shape may be readily apparent to an observer."

In Texas printing is not illegal.
    ericb327 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links