John Lott for NY Daily News

This is a discussion on John Lott for NY Daily News within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Opinion piece pointing out the foolishness of gun free zones: Friday’s horrible shooting in Colorado occurred in yet another place where guns are banned. And ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: John Lott for NY Daily News

Opinion piece pointing out the foolishness of gun free zones:
    Friday’s horrible shooting in Colorado occurred in yet another place where guns are banned. And that’s consistent with a trend: With a single exception, every multiple-victim public shooting in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed since at least 1950 has taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry their own firearms.

The Cinemark movie theater in Aurora, like others run by the chain around the country, displayed warning signs that it was illegal to carry guns into the theater.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/c...#ixzz23YzBPD5s

Here
    Last edited by HotGuns; August 14th, 2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: posted opening paragraph
    ccw9mm, Bad Bob and beararms like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Good for John Lott, but he writes that the theater had signs warning that it was not legal to carry into the theater. Now I don't know whether the signs actually say that or not, but if they do they are wrong unless the CHL law for Colorado specifically disallows carry into theaters, which I seriously doubt.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

GH
    That's what I thought, too, Freedom Doc. Being legal & being permitted by the owner of the property are two different things.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I agree with this.

Well they could give you a ticket after you put down the gunman. I dont think I would have had it out with the guy from a distance, but, up close would have been a different story. At least thats what the arm chair quarterback in me says. You really dont know what your gonna do until it happens. If it were one on one, with what he was carrying, I would have been on down the road. The theaters here dont allow carry, but, thats where the concealed part comes in.

Colorado does not prohibit carrying into a theater. As to getting a ticket for having a gun, that isn't the law either. The law states that you must leave if asked/told to. If you refuse, then you can be arrested for trespass.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Gun Free Zones, like Drug Free Zones are based on the premise that the criminals who carry the guns and drugs into places where they are banned will obey the signage. How delusional is that? In a perfect world we wouldn't need politicians!
    accessbob likes this.

My solution to this problem is not to go to places where I cannot lawfully carry a firearm. Period. I will not patronize any place that seeks to deprive me of my right to self defense.
    ep1953 and GH like this.

Good article. I agree with most of what he has stated.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Good for John Lott, but he writes that the theater had signs warning that it was not legal to carry into the theater. Now I don't know whether the signs actually say that or not, but if they do they are wrong unless the CHL law for Colorado specifically disallows carry into theaters, which I seriously doubt.
    North Carolina does not allow concealed carry in places that charge admission, ie. movie theaters. Also can't carry in restaurants that SERVE alcohol, even if you don't consume. Some very stiff rules here that hopefully will loosen up with legislative changes in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Gun Free Zones, like Drug Free Zones are based on the premise that the criminals who carry the guns and drugs into places where they are banned will obey the signage. How delusional is that? In a perfect world we wouldn't need politicians!
    Yep. Totally delusional. The lets all just get along do gooders of the world will NEVER get it. Until they are mugged that is.

Sponsor
    Good man, Mr. Lott. He helped me a few years ago with an organization trying to get campus carry approved. He does a lot of work for our gun rights.

Distinguished Member
    The article is quite logical and good information. Too bad almost all of those opposed can't see the truth of it.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

GH
    Mr. Lott has his head on right. Now if he can only convince the antis.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

You cant convince anti's. They dont want to be convinced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links