Heres my current situation... any suggestions ?

This is a discussion on Heres my current situation... any suggestions ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently attending tax preparers school twice a week. Classes are held in the evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. The location (at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres my current situation... any suggestions ?

Heres my current situation... any suggestions ?

I am currently attending tax preparers school twice a week. Classes are held in the evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. The location (at the Jackson Hewitt tax service office ) and general area is not the most desirable part of town, if you know what I mean....and you do.
    Right next door is a Piggly Wiggly grocery store that is open until 10 pm. That store has been robbed at gunpoint at least 3 times in the last 2 to 3 years so a county deputy is stationed inside the store from like 5 pm to closing. His vehicle is easily spotted just outside the main door as a deterrent.
    ----
    One of my classmates is a city cop who carries the rank of sargent. He shows up to class in uniform without his duty belt. I study him constantly to see if he is carrying in a ankle holster because he's diffenently not carrying elsewhere. He must be very comfortable knowing either his uniform catches attention and no hanky-panky will happen or a "nahhh ! it'll never happen to us" attitude.
    ----
    I have a problem with all of this...I smell trouble. Here are a dozen people in a business that is well lighted inside with the front door unlocked and you can observe the goings on from way out in the parking lot, due to insufficient lighting. There is hardly any traffic except for the grocery store. A BG could very easily assess the situation, walk in the store announce a hold-up and commence to stripping us of our valuables. I have my Taurus in my book bag just in case (right where my wallet is). I would get very nervous knowing what I see and not having access to my ccw.
    I just had to report this to you guys....

2. Remove Ads

Certainly you're safe...I mean the cops are there to protect us, right...

Sounds a lot like my job. I work for a pawn shop in a not so high rent part of town. Been here for four years with no problems thus far, but the work and the section of town are both prime locations for something to happen.

Company policy is no weapons on person while on the clock. I dislike being disarmed at work, thus pocket carry has become the method for me.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Like Jimmy sez.

Cop there---your safe---end of story.

We ALL are responsible for our own safety. We ALL need to remember and practice this in our everyday life. In other words >>do what you gotta do. -------

pax
    I have my Taurus in my book bag just in case (right where my wallet is).
    Why not carry on-body?

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

That was my thought also Pax. You do have your concealed carry license, correct? If so, put that Taurus where it belongs...,on your person. Unless you really think that you will be able to retrieve it quicker from your bookbag. And you did not mention that the office is posted!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

The Sarge is either armed, or grossly complacent. I used to take my uniform shirt off the minute I pulled out of the lot, when I was working corrections. I had someone follow me on the interstate, after stopping for gas after work one day, before I started "stripping". Long story short- I decided invisibility was better than valor.

Rob72

That was my thought exactly.

I have always been told if your in uniform you had your gun. Why make yourself a target and not have a way to defend yourself.

Alot of departments require that if you have your badge with you, you are armed.

I don't carry on body due to my short pants and cast on my leg. Thats the reason for the short pants. I can draw from a bag just as quick or quicker than a front pocket 'cause I'm sitting down. My bag is right at my hand. I reach in a grab... that quick. It is technically not a bookbag but thats what I use it for.
    See link.
    http://store.mcalisterclothing.org/m...ode=FIELD-GEAR
    The office is not posted. If it was posted, I would still pack.
    I should be able to wear long pants after next week. Thats when the sp101 or Taurus 85 goes in the front pocket or the mustang goes in the back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by 45cal View Post
    That was my thought exactly.

I have always been told if your in uniform you had your gun. Why make yourself a target and not have a way to defend yourself.

Alot of departments require that if you have your badge with you, you are armed.
    Interesting. My department is the other way around. Mine mandates that if your armed, you have to have your badge with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
    Interesting. My department is the other way around. Mine mandates that if your armed, you have to have your badge with you.
    Sounds like a semantics issue- be interesting to see which one IA had more latitude to be PIAs under!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Have you ever discreetly asked the Sergeant about this in a friendly manner?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Glad your carring at least!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    One of my classmates is a city cop who carries the rank of sargent. He shows up to class in uniform without his duty belt.
    A uniform makes one a target, to some criminals, when SHTF. To go around unarmed would seem to give the guy the rank of: future dead guy. I wonder what his captain would think of the uniformed/unarmed combo.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was taught that if you carried either one -- the badge, or the gun -- you carried both.
    No exceptions.
    I took pains not to except.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links