no concealed weapons signs?

This is a discussion on no concealed weapons signs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so reading about the Colorado incident people were saying that if someone brought a gun and shot the attacker they would be legally I'm trouble ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: no concealed weapons signs?

so reading about the Colorado incident people were saying that if someone brought a gun and shot the attacker they would be legally I'm trouble because firearms weren't allowed there. I'm in Missouri and was taught that most signs can be disregarded unless it's like government buildings like courtrooms, schools, etc. so what is true in this situation? lots of businesses have no concealed firearms signs on them
    abillb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    so reading about the Colorado incident people were saying that if someone brought a gun and shot the attacker they would be legally I'm trouble because firearms weren't allowed there. I'm in Missouri and was taught that most signs can be disregarded unless it's like government buildings like courtrooms, schools, etc. so what is true in this situation? lots of businesses have no concealed firearms signs on them
    The laws differ in different states. I would recommend researching the statutes for your own.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If someone had "illegally" stopped the nutcase from shooting 70 people, I doubt much would be said about violating what is now obviously a rediculus rule.
    ArmyMan, bandrich, abillb and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

i am fairly certain if you had stopped the auoroa shooter with concealed carry . . . u would be the hero and no jury would convict you. Personally i carry at all times unless a metal detector is going to rat me out.

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    i am fairly certain if you had stopped the auoroa shooter with concealed carry . . . u would be the hero and no jury would convict you. Personally i carry at all times unless a metal detector is going to rat me out.

Lol same here man
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    Absolutely. I am with you on this 100%.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I am going to make this very simple. I do not know the laws of every state of anyone who has posted so far. But this is going to serve as a general warning that discussion of illicit activities, including carrying in prohibited places where signs carry the force of law, are not permitted on this forum, as it says in the rules:

10. Discussion of illegal activities, except in reporting the actions of others, is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned. Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well. In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law, even in your distant past.
    If you think this applies to your post, remove or edit it. I am going to spot check states listed above. Any further posts advocating carrying where it is illegal will be deleted, and infractions given.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Like has been mentioned, each state has their own guidelines. In SC, the sign must be the specifically approved sign (style, font, colors, etc) and posted at every entrance and at a specific height.

In NC, any sign at all ("no guns" written in crayon on a menu taped to the wall next to the door) posted where the intent is clear, is a valid No Guns Allowed sign.

Yeah i dont believe if someone had ignored that sign that night anyone would say boo. its like whoever puts a bullet in joe kony's head probably wont be prosecuted for murder seeing as he has exterminated hundreds of thousands of people.

However depending on state law.....in any other scenario you could get in trouble. Here in my state we have a few places with them, but no law to back them up, most they can do is ask you to leave, and if you refuse than you can be criminally trespassed, but ignoring the sign is legal.......so i usually do. Other states have laws that coincide with the sign that you must obey.

If it is properly posted, I'll go somewhere else. If I absolutely have to go, I leave the gun in the car and just view it like any government building, sporting event, hospital, etc. where state law forbids CC. But if I can find another business, I'll pay a premium to shop there.

We have a Wal-Mart nearby that is posted at one entrance, but not the other. That is a case where it is not considered proper notice and you are legal. I suspect that was intentionally done to appease all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    If it is properly posted, I'll go somewhere else. If I absolutely have to go, I leave the gun in the car and just view it like any government building, sporting event, hospital, etc. where state law forbids CC. But if I can find another business, I'll pay a premium to shop there.

We have a Wal-Mart nearby that is posted at one entrance, but not the other. That is a case where it is not considered proper notice and you are legal. I suspect that was intentionally done to appease all parties.
    I love my state. NO firearms signs are not backed by law, and we are legally allowed to carry in liquor establishments as well. If i see a no guns sign, i ignore it. If im asked to leave at some point, i never go back :) that simple. But im not gonna let a sign destroy my chances of getting out of a shooting situation alive :-)
    abillb likes this.

Are you referring to the Walmart in Indian Land or the one at Tega Cay? I live in Indian Land and frequent that Walmart, but haven't seen the signs if it is that one. I guess I need to pay better attention.

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    I've looked into this and 'no-firearms' signs in CO do not carry the force of law. Had a person carried a firearm into that theater they wouldn't have been in any more trouble then if they brought outside food or drink. The most that theater could do upon discovering a firearm is ask that person to leave, just as they can ask anyone to leave for any reason.

Had such a person carried into the theater and shot the assailant, I doubt the theater could even bring a petty trespassing charge.

Here is the law for Colorado: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “NO”
    C.R.S. 18-4-201 As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
    (1) "Premises" means any real estate and all improvements erected thereon.
    (2) "Separate building" means each unit of a building consisting of two or more units separately secured or
    occupied.
    Here is the law for Missouri: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “YES/NO”
    But have no penalty Unless you refuse to leave or repeat the offense in a set time period. See Below.

(15) Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by
    means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen
    inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch. The owner, business or commercial lessee,
    manager of a private business enterprise, or any other organization, entity, or person may prohibit persons
    holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the premises and may prohibit
    employees, not authorized by the employer, holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed
    firearms on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer
    of the business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying a concealed firearm is
    prohibited. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the
    firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. An employer
    may prohibit employees or other persons holding

Quote Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
    Are you referring to the Walmart in Indian Land or the one at Tega Cay? I live in Indian Land and frequent that Walmart, but haven't seen the signs if it is that one. I guess I need to pay better attention.
    The one in Tega Cay had the sign on the far left entrance only.

The one in Tega Cay had the sign on the far left entrance only.
    Thanks for the info. I will have to make sure I only use the far right entrance when I go to that one.
    By the way, nice to bump into another "local" on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links