Purposely Printing.

This is a discussion on Purposely Printing. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I ran off a BG from my corner store today. I stopped to get smokes on the way home today. Was getting a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Purposely Printing.

Purposely Printing.

I think I ran off a BG from my corner store today. I stopped to get smokes on the way home today. Was getting a drink from the fountain and noticed a patron dressed oddly. Black hoodie and jeans with 100 degree heat.... Kinda got the bells ringing. He looked like a crack head, standing back a looking around letting everyone else ahead of him without saying " go ahead ". I set my drink on the counter and went to the LBR then counted to 100. Went back out and he was still there. No one else was in the store. I gave him a long look as I stepped to the register. Then I printed while he was standing behind me and looked at him again as I walked out. My truck was two spaces off center to the side so I sat there watching him and slowly opened my smokes and got one out while I watched him. He saw me watching him and quickly bought something off the counter.and left head down without looking at me. I sat there another minute or two then drove on home. I think he was up to no good. The "little" girls were on duty neither one as big as a button nor over 100 pounds. It just didn't feel right so I felt the need to do something without doing anything.
    ArmyMan and ptco911 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I've printed on purpose before as well.

I was walking with my girlfriend on an old dirt road. A couple hooligans were throwing stuff off a rail road bridge about 500 feet from the road. When they saw us they said a few things then started following. As we walked they got closer and closer. So i light a smoke. And took off my jacket which i handed to my girlfriend. I waited purposefully for them to get within 15-20 feet or so, then i bent over and stubbed my smoke out in the gravel, thus 100% printing my full size 1911 through my button up shirt. They stopped dead in their tracks and i heard them say "yo lets jet up to jimmys" and did a 180 and walked QUICKLY away.

Luckily printing is legal in my state so i didnt mind giving them a non verbal warning.

I've also done the trick of sighing and stretching my arms WAYYY above my head in a 7-11 causing my OWB holster to show about 3" of the bottom to some really sketchy looking guys behind me in line......they left.

Mine is a Ruger P89 I carry iwb small of the back. Was watching him in the video monitor, he saw it...

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Mine is a Ruger P89 I carry iwb small of the back. Was watching him in the video monitor, he saw it...
    Criminals work on a risk vs benefit scale. Low risk, high benefit = good deal

However High risk A.E. them dying vs $100 in the drawer....= bad deal. time to leave :-D

Nope, that was me. I saw you printing before you intentionally printed. I thought you might be up to no good, so I kept letting people ahead of me stalling to make sure you weren't going to try and rob those young girls who clearly weren't in a position to protect themselves.

After you left, I was talking to them about what I saw and they said you were hanging outside in your truck and making them nervous. They gave me a couple free packs of Tic Tacs and asked me to leave but keep an eye on you until you left the premises. I hung out behind one of the gas pumps until you finally drove away. When I went back in, they thanked me for watching out for them and gave me couple free hot dogs and a bear claw for my trouble. :)
    mprp, EdC, GunGeezer and 3 others like this.

I would never purposely show or hint to anyone that I was carrying unless they did something dumb enough to enjoy the entire show, up to and including the BANG! It shouldn't be a chess game; it's last resort.
    GunGeezer and Bad Bob like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I am in there seven days a week. They are my people. Managers son is in classes with my daughter. The only one that saw was who I wanted to see. It was a reverse shirt tail flick.

... It was a reverse shirt tail flick.
    Whoa! Really? Not THE reverse shirt tail flick? Surely not THAT! WOW, you are an operator... par excellance!

No, I really do understand... you "know" these people, you have concern for them... and that's fine... And it's quite possible that you discouraged an attempt at something... But it may just have been a shy boy waiting 'til all the customers left so he could talk to the girls... who he knew from school... and he really wanted to date one of them.... Or it could have been sinister. Either way, it's possible that you threw a wet blanket on it...

But don't do that again... and especially don't name the "move." Or in the alternative git a CCW badge and really look like a relative of the Gecko.
    Thunder71, Sig35seven and suntzu like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I am in there seven days a week. They are my people. Managers son is in classes with my daughter. The only one that saw was who I wanted to see. It was a reverse shirt tail flick.
    It would have been funny if he would have called the cops on you for menacing. Not a real smart move.....
    Bad Bob and suntzu like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

In a state that doesn't criminalize mere display of a holstered firearm, I can see the potential worth of being seen carrying. In most places, though, being seen to do such a thing purposely could strongly risk a legitimate MWAG call followed by a faceplant and brandishing/menacing charge.

An alternative: head around an aisle to discreetly uncover, then reemerge. Serves the same purpose as being seen to be carrying, but doesn't risk the brandishing/menacing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I would never purposely show or hint to anyone that I was carrying unless they did something dumb enough to enjoy the entire show, up to and including the BANG! It shouldn't be a chess game; it's last resort.
    I would rather scare off a potential BG than have to dance with him.
    I think the OP’s actions were appropriate. He knows the area, the store, employees, etc. Hard for me to second guess that situation when I’ve never been there, vs the OP who is there every day.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    I purposefully print all the time. My cursive is illegible.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I would rather scare off a potential BG than have to dance with him.
    I think the OP’s actions were appropriate. He knows the area, the store, employees, etc. Hard for me to second guess that situation when I’ve never been there, vs the OP who is there every day.
    I don't care what area you're in, you really think it's a good move to be in front of a potential BG with your back to him and then showing him your weapon? You just gave the guy a good reason and opportunity to shoot / stab you first, take your gun and kill you with it. If you ask me showing the right potential BG your gun as a scare tactic is like asking him to dance. That tactic sucks. A BG that is determined enough now knows exactly what he's up against, who to kill and what to take away. The element of surprise is an inherent advantage even against someone who is armed. JMO Are you willing to gamble on what kind of BG he is? Not me.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'm part owner of a commercial printing company, we print on purpose every chance we get.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Under the law wouldn't purposely printing be the same as pulling the weapon as a show of force? In Oklahoma that would be legal if done in self-defense, but isn't it the same act?

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; July 26th, 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links