Finally, more balanced coverage is showing up re: Colorado

This is a discussion on Finally, more balanced coverage is showing up re: Colorado within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Colorado Consensus on Gun Laws - Dave Kopel - National Review Online July 26, 2012 4:00 A.M. Colorado Consensus on Gun Laws Broadly supported post-Columbine ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveH
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Finally, more balanced coverage is showing up re: Colorado

VIP Member

Colorado Consensus on Gun Laws - Dave Kopel - National Review Online

July 26, 2012 4:00 A.M.

Colorado Consensus on Gun Laws

Broadly supported post-Columbine reforms balance gun rights and gun control.

By Dave Kopel

After the Columbine High School murders, Colorado enacted eight specific gun-law reforms. Three of these reforms are examples of what people usually call “gun control,” and five of them are in the “gun rights” category. But to many Coloradoans, all eight of the measures are cohesive and consistent. They are all based on the same principles: Guns in the wrong hands are very dangerous, and guns in the right hands protect public safety. Colorado strengthened its laws to make it harder for the wrong people to acquire guns and simultaneously strengthened laws to remove obstacles to the use and carrying of firearms by law-abiding citizens. As a whole, the laws embody a compromise that enjoys broad public support; they settled a gun-policy debate that had raged in Colorado for 15 years. The Colorado consensus has already saved lives.

SNIP
    Ransom likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It's a start. One need not forget the lady at New Life Church that stopped a rampage December 9, 2007, as well as others.
    beararms likes this.

VIP Member
    It is a start.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    It is a start.
    Yup, better than the usual anti rhetoric you read/hear from the media.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Wow! I was beginning to think common sense had all but disappeared with regards to gun laws in favor of knee-jerk reaction. It seems Colorado has made some sensible decisions.

Great article! thanks for the link...

See, I'm wrong... not all the media needs to stand in the blood of the victims to show what is wrong with our gun control laws... But finding one journalist/commentator with the scruples to speak truth is getting more and more difficult.

Not everyone in the 4th estate needs "Dirty Laundry":
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

GH
    If the state that had several major massacres has those kind of gun laws that should be a sign to other states that are thinking of toughening their's. Anti-gun folks will complain & whine regardless how much that it's proven that guns can save lives in the right hands as well as take them in the wrong hands.

I'm preaching to the choir on this one. No matter how much I apply reason to an antigun zealot it falls on deaf ears.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Maybe they are starting to realize that in MANY cases you are on your own and the superhero or police will notbe there in the nick of time and that they don't ALWAYS have a bodyguard with them.....

Links