Mass Murders; Pre Pistol

Mass Murders; Pre Pistol

This is a discussion on Mass Murders; Pre Pistol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure exactly where to put this article. With all the talk about massacres/crazy people I thought I would share what I read today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mass Murders; Pre Pistol

Mass Murders; Pre Pistol

I'm not sure exactly where to put this article. With all the talk about massacres/crazy people I thought I would share what I read today about how mass murderers killed before modern firepower became available for the public.

The stats/facts are quite interesting.

Aurora Shooting: How did people commit mass murder before automatic weapons? - Slate Magazine
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    Interesting article.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Guns aren’t even the most lethal mass murder weapon. According to data compiled by Grant Duwe of the Minnesota Department of Corrections, guns killed an average of 4.92 victims per mass murder in the United States during the 20th century, just edging out knives, blunt objects, and bare hands, which killed 4.52 people per incident. Fire killed 6.82 people per mass murder, while explosives far outpaced the other options at 20.82. Of the 25 deadliest mass murders in the 20th century, only 52 percent involved guns.
    Fire and explosives.

BTW, I changed the title in a nod to Edmond.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Good read, mustn’t forget killers such as Timothy McVeigh his weapon of choice explosives. Then there was Dennis Rader aka BTK his method of choice was strangulation along with the Green River Killer, Gary Ridgway.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Good read, mustn’t forget killers such as Timothy McVeigh his weapon of choice explosives.
    Don't forget that after McVeigh the government didn't try to find any real solution but rather reacted with the birth of The Patriot Act.......
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Administrator
    Karst Tates, man who drove car into crowd, killing 5 while attempting to attack Dutch royals, dies
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Friday, May 01, 2009

AMSTERDAM
    - The man who drove his car into a crowd of parade spectators and killed five people died of his injuries Friday, leaving unresolved the mystery of why he tried to attack the Dutch royal family.

The 38-year-old suspect, identified by Dutch media as Karst Tates, had been in critical condition since the attack Thursday on Queen's Day, the Dutch national holiday.

Eleven other people were hurt when he rammed his car through police barricades toward an open-topped bus carrying Queen Beatrix and several other members of the royal family.

He told one of the first police officers to rush to his car that the attack was aimed at the royal family,

Administrator
    Machete-wielding rioters kill 200 in Nigeria — The killers showed no mercy: They didn't spare women and children, or even a 4-day-old baby, from their machetes. On Monday, women wailed in the streets as a dump truck carried dozens of bodies past burned-out homes toward a mass grave.

Rubber-gloved workers pulled ever-smaller bodies from the dump truck and tossed them into the mass grave. A crowd began singing a hymn with the refrain, "Jesus said I am the way to heaven." As the grave filled, the grieving crowd sang: "Jesus, show me the way."
    At least 200 people, most of them Christians, were slaughtered on Sunday, according to residents, aid groups and journalists. The local government gave a figure more than twice that amount, but offered no casualty list or other information to substantiate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Don't forget that after McVeigh the government didn't try to find any real solution but rather reacted with the birth of The Patriot Act.......
    The Patriot Act was a reaction to 9/11..not Timothy McVeigh
    Ionracas likes this.

Administrator
    At 10:15 that morning, 37-year-old former janitor Mamoru Takuma entered the school armed with kitchen knife and began stabbing numerous school children and teachers. He killed eight children, mostly between the ages of seven and eight, and seriously wounded thirteen other children and two teachers.

You can keep quoting news stories of folks going an a rampage with a knife or what ever. The anti's will say if they had a gun they would have killed more.....
    Most anti's I know don't beleive getting rid of guns will stop murders...it will reduce the frequency of them.

VIP Member
    Let's not forget Richard Speck, who in July of 1966, raped, tortured and strangled 8 student nurses in Chicago.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

History has never had a shortage of psychotic, sadistic murderers.

Going Postal, Pre-Pistol
    How did mass murderers operate before the advent of modern weapons?
    FAIL
    Monroe Phillips shot seven dead and wounded 32 with a shotgun in Georgia.

In a debate that I had with an anti, I pointed out that the Aurora results could have easily been much worse using the most basic of elements, such as gasoline and a match or by him ramming a car into a large crowd outside the theater. Given the perp's set-up at his apartment, he could have easily quadrupled the fatalities using IEDs. Unsurprisingly, they still wanted to ban the guns. They also said they wanted much more strict background checks for guns, which in this case would have accomplished nothing since all he had was a speeding ticket. Go figure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    In a debate that I had with an anti, I pointed out that the Aurora results could have easily been much worse using the most basic of elements, such as gasoline and a match or by him ramming a car into a large crowd outside the theater. Given the perp's set-up at his apartment, he could have easily quadrupled the fatalities using IEDs. Unsurprisingly, they still wanted to ban the guns. They also said they wanted much more strict background checks for guns, which in this case would have accomplished nothing since all he had was a speeding ticket. Go figure.
    I think its incredible that with all the time he must have spent on his apartment that he didnt use anything in the theater. I mean incredible in a posative way of course.

I really hope he opens up with why he did it. Of course what we initialy hear, if he talks, will probably be stretched by the media.

It makes me think if the shooting at Columbine HS. How much worse it could have been if the bombs in the cafeteria detonated. Im wondering if his thoughts and feelings will mirror any of Erics and Dylans.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links