Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked? - Page 2

Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked?

This is a discussion on Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my 1911 and 238 cocked and locked. 238 is a pocket gun. Managed not to shoot myself thus far....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked?

I carry my 1911 and 238 cocked and locked. 238 is a pocket gun. Managed not to shoot myself thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSquid View Post
    Cocked and LOCKED!! Just make sure you carry it in such a manner that the safety can not be accidentally disengaged (holstered in a good holster). However, even if the safety is disengaged, the trigger still has to be pulled. So, protect the safety and protect the trigger.

Good luck.
    You forgot to add that the grip safety also needs to be depressed before the trigger can fire a round. So to sum up. Condition one you need to disengage the thumb safety, depress the grip safety, and at the same time pull the trigger for the gun to fire. If it is in a quality holster either in your pocket, or on or inside your waistband or any other carry method you choose how can all those things happen.

If it makes you feel better since you are carrying with an empty chamber anyway cock the hammer and engage the safety. Carry it as you normally do and after each day when you take it off check to see if the safety has disengaged or if the hammer has dropped on the empty chamber. After a few days/weeks you will see there has not been an issue and when you are comfortable you can carry with a round in the chamber.

Something I read here...

"Why carry an odd L-shaped club when you can carry a sidearm?"
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member
    P238:
    In a pocket holster: cocked & locked.
    In a N82 tuckable: cocked & locked.
    In a Remora IWB: cocked & locked.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Give me a DA/SA. I find it awfully tough to stick a cocked gun in my pocket. If you are carrying in a premium outside holster - than maybe cocked and locked.

The gun is meant to be carried in condition-one or condition-three. But this all goes back to your particular situation. The 1911's are probably safer than the striker fired with no manual safeties

Thanks to all who responded -- Well I was at my local gun shop today talking to the owner who also carries C&L - I was telling him about my fear of carring C&L, so he then showed me a special holster (made locally) that has a leather backstrap to cover the firing pin once the hammer is pulled back... So I got one on order and I will now carry the pistol the way it was intended to be carried... Thanks again for you views.

Tom
    "A fanatic is one who sticks to his guns whether they're loaded or not"

Thumb
    Quote Originally Posted by imchud View Post
    Okay... I know this probably been ask on this forum before, and I know i will be verbally assaulted for it, but i really need to know.... How many of you carry (and please be honest) a 1911 style hand gun - from full size down to a sig p238, "Cocked and Locked" I have a sig p238 & sig P938 and it just freaks me out to carry cocked and locked - so most of the time i carry it with just the magazine loaded and waiting to be racked. okay... let me have it.

Tom
    I only carry cocked and locked. In fact, I carry it in my front pocket. No, I'm not afraid it will go off. That's why it has a thumb safety and a firing pin block. Its a Sig P238 and I've never heard of a single case of anyone shooting off their do-dads while pocket carrying it. Sig did have a recall a couple of years ago that involved the P238 but like I said, still never heard of a single incident. Not one.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

thanks for that info... My new holster will be ready this Wednesday, can't wait...
    "A fanatic is one who sticks to his guns whether they're loaded or not"

I started carrying my Kimber Ultra II condition 3. I had the same concerns about carrying C&L. I eventually got over my concerns by listening to a lot of sound advice, most of which has been presented already in this thread. I never even think about it now once it's in the holster.
    Last edited by JD; August 4th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I would not feel comfortable carrying a 1911 style pistol cocked and locked in my pocket.

I would have no problem carrying the same in a good holster on my belt.
    A good holster is key, wherever it is carried
    foamx likes this.

GH
    The first few times you carry cocked & locked that gun will feel heavier than you remembered it. After a while it'll feel normal again.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I would not feel comfortable carrying a 1911 style pistol cocked and locked in my pocket.

I would have no problem carrying the same in a good holster on my belt.
    my feelings exactly.

Let's think about what has to happen in order for the gun to fire. First, the safety has to be turned off, and second, the trigger must be pulled. Keeping those things in mind, as long as you protect the safety, and keep your gun holstered in a holster that completely covers the trigger guard, you should be pretty safe. As always though, it's a personal decision. Carry in the way that makes you feel safest, and practice practice practice! If you choose not to carry cocked and locked, take the gun to a range and work out racking it along with your draw. Make it part of the routine. Whatever you teach yourself to do in practice, you will do when the time comes...if the time comes, and I hope it never does.

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II inside the waistband in a custom leather holster. Cocked and Locked.
    I carry my Sig P238 in my front pocket in a custom leather pocket holster that protects the trigger and the thumb safety. Cocked and Locked.

I'm more worried about getting accidentally shot at the gun range by the jokers around me than shooting myself with either of these guns.
    The p238 safety has a very positive engagement and the trigger is heavy and has a ton of creep. There is no issue.

I have been carrying my P938 and P238 concurrently. Both in Condition 1. It takes a good deal of pressure to take deactivate the safety and pull the 8lb trigger. As long as the pistol's trigger guard is protected, I have no issue. I have even taken a nap with the pistols in the pocket.

Some of my 1911s have a lot lower threshold to deactivate the safety, but it takes a grip AND pull of the trigger to fire a round.

If you don't feel comfortable, just try with an unloaded pistol in the appropriate holster (not a Clip Draw or Mexican Carry). You'll find that you're safe.

As long as you learn to carry/draw safely and have an appropriate holster, you'll be safe. I'd feel less at ease with Striker fire pistols but I also have appropriate holsters that protect the trigger from a Negligent Discharge.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links