Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked? - Page 3

Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked?

This is a discussion on Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried a 1911 C&L for going on 6 years,to fire the gun the thumb safety has to be disengaged,the grip safety depressed,and the trigger ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked?

I've carried a 1911 C&L for going on 6 years,to fire the gun the thumb safety has to be disengaged,the grip safety depressed,and the trigger pulled,most striker fired guns like Glock and S&W MP pistols you only need to pull the trigger.
    Rhcmlc likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    No grip safety on a 938 or 238, why are people comparing them to carrying a 1911?

I carried my 238 cocked and locked, I didnt feel safe the other way. Its bad enough I had to flip the safety off.

Carry your gun around the home for a couple weeks, holstered, cocked and locked, with no round in the chamber. After a couple weeks (or when you feel comfortable), carry the gun in the holster cocked and locked. You'll soon see how this gun ( any 1911 design) was designed to be carried.
    Personally, I've never carried any of my 1911s (or their different specific variant designs) any other way. Condition 1, cocked and locked.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

SIGP238 & Colt Mustang
    http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/d/
    The above is info about some history on where the Sig p238 came from.
    I think you'll see it's safe to carry in condition 1 especially in a good holster.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

your gun,do what ever you want to do with it,i carry my sigp238 cocked and locked in a good holster with a good gun belt,a quality gun belt is very important

Cocked and Locked

My primary carry pistol is the Colt Officer and my back up is the Sig P238. Each is the 1911 style and I carry each Cocked and Locked.

When in a hurry to draw and fire your handgun, you can not draw and rack your slide as fast as I can draw and flip off the safety. Sorry, you can't.

If you carry one round in the camber, you will be one step ahead of many who are trying to protect their lives without one in the pipe.

Like as been said: it is your choice. I hope you make the right choice for your needs.

I started out with revolvers. I'd had some experience with 1911 and Hi-powers during that time, but old Smiths and a Ruger Security Six were what I learned on and was most familiar with. I had a hard time mentally when I transitioned to a Glock as my first carry semi-automatic. I couldn't get over carrying one in the chamber with no safety....then it occured to me it was pretty much the same as carrying a revolver loaded all the way...If I kept my finger off the trigger, it's probably going to be ok...I started carrying the Glock loaded with an empty chamber, but the striker cocked....after a couple of weeks and the gun didn't go off on its own, I realized the gun was pretty safe as designed, as long as I did my part.

The 1911 and its ilk are menat to be carried cocked and locked...when I transitioned to that style of pistol, I did the same thing, carried for awhile cocked, safety on, nothing in the chamber 'till I got over the mental issue....

Here's a caveat: when I owned a Kimber Ultra with ambi safeties, I did have an occasion where the safety got knocked off while carrying IWB. That sort of soured me on ambi safeties, but again, the gun didn't go off just because the safety got knocked off.

Since the 938 is the first gun I've messed with that requires carrying cocked and locked, but doesn't have a grip safety, I've done the same thing. So far in all my usual methods of carrying, the safety's staying on and the hammer hasn't dropped. I think it goes to show the importance of training with the weapon platform. Experience and familiarity equals trust.
    Last edited by Boracho; September 18th, 2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Changed "manual safety" to "grip safety"...oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    No grip safety on a 938 or 238, why are people comparing them to carrying a 1911?
    You can't. Grip safety is an added safety. But fwiw. When I got my Colt Mustang years ago. I wan't sure about it. No grip safety. But I carried it for awhile in my house and yard with no round chambered with it cocked. No safety on. Hammer never went down. You still need to pull the trigger for it to shoot. Cocked and locked I find this gun to be safe. JME

It takes a deliberate amount of pressure to disengage the P238 or P938. It takes just as much pressure for the trigger.

I cannot say that about my 1911 which I found the safety off. Thank goodness for the grip safety on that.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I cannot say that about my 1911 which I found the safety off. Thank goodness for the grip safety on that.
    Even with the thumb safety disengaged and if like the 938 it had no grip safety you still have to pull the trigger to fire it,unless you have a habit of pulling the trigger when you unholster it's a non issue since when holstering the thumb safety is engaged.if your 1911 safety moves too easily you can make the recess that the detent engages a little deeper,I have an ambi-safety and shoot lefty,in the last 3 years I've been carrying my Colt CC xse the thumb safety has never been accidently swiped off.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My two bits:

Cocked

GH likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Sig p938 cocked and locked

Quote Originally Posted by imchud View Post
    Okay... I know this probably been ask on this forum before, and I know i will be verbally assaulted for it, but i really need to know.... How many of you carry (and please be honest) a 1911 style hand gun - from full size down to a sig p238, "Cocked and Locked" I have a sig p238 & sig P938 and it just freaks me out to carry cocked and locked - so most of the time i carry it with just the magazine loaded and waiting to be racked. okay... let me have it.

Tom
    Hi everyone, first post. New member. Been a gun owner for years but finally getting into concealed carry.

I just picked up a Sig P938 Blackwood and intend to carry it cocked and locked as I would with nearly any 1911-ish SAO design.
    Something many don't consider about carrying hammer down: It comes with it's own risks.

There is a remote chance that the gun could go off when dropped while the hammer is down.
    Granted, it would nearly take an act of God, but it is *possible*.

When I first grabbed this gun, I de-cocked it a few times in the store, just for laughs.
    In order to get the hammer all the way down, you have to hold the trigger all the way down the entire time.
    In other words, the trigger doesn't only release the hammer in the back; it's holds on in multiple (what feels like at least 2) stages.
    If you pull the trigger, begin de-cocking and let go of the trigger the rest of the time (like you would with, say, nearly any revolver), the hammer will actually get stuck halfway down and will not fully decock unless you keep another finger firmly on the trigger.

In other words, when a gun with or similar to a 1911 SAO design is cocked, there is a lot HOLDING it cocked, and if you've got a thumb safey, even if its off, dropping the gun isn't going to let it fire unless there is an absolutely catastrophic failure.

As they would say in Silence of the Lambs: "It keeps the hammer off the bullet. It does what it's told."

In other words, unlike a revolver or some DAO or DA/SA guns, the 1911 design WANTS TO and TRIES TO stay cocked....

Does this make sense?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    P238 Cocked, locked and in a holster.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I carry a 3" 1911 cocked and locked with one in the chamber all the time.
    I actually feel more safe with it than the Glock 26, which I sometimes carry, where all I have to do is pull the trigger and...bang!
    That's more scary to me, although neither are particularly scary, long as you know what you're doing.
    Here's the thing, as Monk says, if you were to tell people that you carried a 1911 cocked and unlocked people would think you were crazy but this is EXACTLY the same state as you would carry a Glock.
    So go ahead carry your Sig cocked and locked with one in the chamber.
    You won't loose valuable time messing with the slide if you needed to use the gun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links