Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked?

This is a discussion on Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 No grip safety on a 938 or 238, why are people comparing them to carrying a 1911? Well, I'd say; if ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sig 938 & 238 cocked and locked?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    No grip safety on a 938 or 238, why are people comparing them to carrying a 1911?
    Well, I'd say; if for whatever reason you removed the safe trigger system off the Glock, would you then not consider it a Glock. It's a safety on a particular platform, and not a platform built around the safety.. It's still a 1911 platform just a scaled down version and minus the grip safety... To be totally technical, the Colt Government 380 did have the grip safety, so it was truly a scaled down version of the 1911. Great pistol BTW..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I carry my 1911's & my Hi-Power condition one & in a holster. The little Sigs or the Colt Mustang (If I had One) I'm sure I'd do the same with a good holster.

The 938 and 238 are neat little toys but I personally would have a hangup carrying something that small cocked and locked. Personal opinion is there are better choices that require less mechanical motion (read that as take the safety off) required to deploy. Time spent not pulling the trigger can equate to time spent bleeding on the floor on your behalf. Also, my personal opinion of DA/SA or SA only toys is once the shooting is over you have a hyped-up person (could be me. Could be you) with a cocked gun. I will take my chance with a DAO platform.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    The 938 and 238 are neat little toys but I personally would have a hangup carrying something that small cocked and locked. Personal opinion is there are better choices that require less mechanical motion (read that as take the safety off) required to deploy. Time spent not pulling the trigger can equate to time spent bleeding on the floor on your behalf. Also, my personal opinion of DA/SA or SA only toys is once the shooting is over you have a hyped-up person (could be me. Could be you) with a cocked gun. I will take my chance with a DAO platform.
    Can't fault you for feeling that way: That's why restaurants serve chicken AND steak. Nothing wrong with DAO, but I love the simplicity of SAO.
    1911's (and the like) are among my favorite guns.
    For whatever reason, a thumb safety is what makes me feel the most comfortable, plus I like steel, so that's what I go with.

238, cocked and locked.

It is my first 1911 style pistol and it did kind of make me nervous at first, but I was really just overthinking it. My 229 has no manual safety, and I carried that with a round in the chamber and decocked. The 238 is actually probably safer.

Well I guess I'm in the minority. I have a P238, don't carry it much. When I do, I carry it condition 3 (no round in chamber). For me the need for safety outweighs the need to get a gun into action that fast. If I don't have a split second to rack the slide, then I guess the bad guy gets the first shot - at least if I survive I'll have a pretty good case for SD.

I also own and carry 1911s on occasion and for 4 years in the military. I carry my .45s in condition 1 (cocked and locked) but ONLY if I have a holster with a strap that goes between the hammer and the slide (as most leather holsters do).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links