Anyone ever "lost" their CC weapon?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever "lost" their CC weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will preface this by saying that I am fairly new to carrying concealed. But from day one of receiving my permit, I have carried ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anyone ever "lost" their CC weapon?

Anyone ever "lost" their CC weapon?

I will preface this by saying that I am fairly new to carrying concealed. But from day one of receiving my permit, I have carried where permissible and without fail excepting one day. I am not allowed to carry in my office, but I will still strap on/in my SuperTuck Deluxe regardless and carry from house to garage, placing my Beretta 92 in the glove box before exiting to walk into the office, then re-holstering it upon leaving company premises.
    Anyway, last Saturday I took my family to a local state park. I got ready as I always do and off we went. After a few hours at the park, we stopped by a butcher shop on the way home. While the wife waited in line, I decided to walk back out to the car and wait. When I grabbed my belt to adjust my pants, my thumb sank into an empty holster! Holy doo doo! I can't even begin to describe the panic that rushed through my entire body. How on earth could a full-size Beretta "fall out" of an IWB holster without me knowing? What if a child found it at the park? I searched through my memory about every step I had taken that morning trying to be positive of what I had done and where I had gone. I could just not conceive that my handgun could fall out of my holster, even if I was running a Spartan. Just no way.
    Well, I went straight home and found my weapon still in my nightstand drawer! ***?!?! How could I leave home with an empty holster? What if something went down and I confidently lifted my shirt and drew down with a handful of air?
    I am not bragging about my ineptitude on this particular day, but trying to provide a little food for thought. At 46 years old, I know my faculties are not as sharp as they once were. But, even as anal as I am about everything, something this serious escaped me. Thank God nothing happened this time, but it can't happen again!
    Jollymann likes this.

2. Remove Ads

You didnt loose your EDC you forgot your EDC. A lost gun would be a problem in my book. Forgetting to put it on, not so much. IMO It would appear that you have learned from your mistake. Good luck, be armed and be safe.....Just as a reminder, BE ARMED
    marcclarke likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Lost is one thing, forgotten is something else, entirely.

Lost is a police report and a potential lawsuit.

Forgotten is a palm-to-head moment at best. (At worst it is life ending.)

Both are in the category of "BAD" things to do.
    tcox4freedom and marcclarke like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You didnt loose your EDC you forgot your EDC. A lost gun would be a problem in my book. Forgetting to put it on, not so much. IMO It would appear that you have learned from your mistake. Good luck, be armed and be safe.....Just as a reminder, BE ARMED
    You are exactly right, which is why I put "lost" in...well, "". It was my perception at the time and was very alarming. I most definitely learned from it and hope to prevent someone else from making the same mistake.....getting too comfortable with their routine and not making conscious decisions with regards to their carry.
    I go as far as to press-check, that is, verify the presence of a chambered round every time before placing my gun in the holster. I'm an engineer and very anal. That is what comes as such a shock to me. How could "I" make such a grave error? A learning experience it definitely was.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've forgotten mine a few times. Most of these times have been when I go to the YMCA to work out. I can't CC there so I usually leave my gun in the car. But, occasionally if I'm dressed in my exercise clothes before I leave home I'll forget & leave my PCW at home.

There has also been other occasions where I have intentionally left my PCW at home. But, only if my activity will not allow for CC.

One of the scariest things that has happened was having my pistol & holster work it's way up and fall out while I was grocery shopping. Luckily, nobody was around. But, it was definitely a wake-up call on the importance of good equipment.

-

Nope, can't say that I've done that.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
    What if something went down and I confidently lifted my shirt and drew down with a handful of air?!
    If Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom has anything to say, you run away as quickly as possible from the sword-wielding BGs.

Glad nothing bad went down but I'm sure you won't forget again.
    bull8042 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
    When I grabbed my belt to adjust my pants, my thumb sank into an empty holster!
    Early on, a couple times I found myself without my firearm and realized I had no set "exit" routine. That quickly changed. What works for me is to double-check everything when I am thinking of heading out the door, with keys coming last:
    • Wallet ... check.
    • Glasses ... check.
    • Firearm, holstered ... check.
    • Spare magazines ... check.
    • Knife, light, list of errands ... check.
    • Keys ... check.
    stevem174, Badey and First Sgt like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My CC no. But back years ago when I was a LEO (and a new one at that) I left the jail in a hurry to go back another officer. Half way there I realized I had left my gun in the lock box when I booked my "passenger". Fortunately I didn't need it (I had my shotgun and rifle tho). Never made that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I maintain a data base with serial #s and pictures of EVERY gun I own. Doubt I'd ever loose one but theft, confiscation, etc always a possibility. I want a way to provide good accurate detailed information to the authorities or lawyers if ever needed.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I work at a facility where they do not even want guns in our vehicle. There is a large sign posted as you come in our parking lot. I have elected not to bring it to work, but regret that every time I go out somewhere at lunch or right after work. I see first hand how having to play this constant game of my gun at home, in my truck or in my holster can cause confusion. I too have reached into my pocket and had a momentary panic attack until I realize where my gun is. I still have not worked out my system or routine for CC yet after a couple of months of having the permit.

CJM
    No, never "lost" or forgotten my carry gun anywhere.

I've never lost or forgotten any weapon of mine, carry weapon or otherwise.

I can only imagine the mental hell you were going through thinking it may of "fell out" somewhere..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

No I have not, but I have forgotten it as you have. Mine usually stays in the holster when it is in the safe so I generally have them together.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

my biggest faux pa has been leaving my edc in the "living room spot" and forgetting to take it to bed with me.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links