"Happiness is a Warm Gun: My Concealed Weapon and Me" (Harper's Magazine)

This is a discussion on "Happiness is a Warm Gun: My Concealed Weapon and Me" (Harper's Magazine) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Happiness is a worn gun: My concealed weapon and me?By Dan Baum (Harper's Magazine) I had been looking for a copy of this article for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: "Happiness is a Warm Gun: My Concealed Weapon and Me" (Harper's Magazine)

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

"Happiness is a Warm Gun: My Concealed Weapon and Me" (Harper's Magazine)

Happiness is a worn gun: My concealed weapon and me?By Dan Baum (Harper's Magazine)

I had been looking for a copy of this article for some time.

It is an excellent read. The author is a born-and-raised moderate liberal Democrat writing for a magazine that caters to readers just like its author.

It is a good outsider's view of the concealed-carry movement, with a solid appreciation for the benefits and reasoning behind concealed carry, but also some valid criticism for the attitudes of some of the people who carry and who teach classes for it.

Your thoughts?
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

I like most of it. I don't support all of his views for access to firearms but most of the article is logical and sound. Plus the guy really likes guns.

And remember not all liberals/progressives are anti 2nd amendment!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Let me check my first post. The article started off fairly well but after a while he lost me and it really became more of an anti article.

Note to self, read the whole article before giving it the thumbs up.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Not a bad article...
    fairly (not completely) balanced
    points out some of "our side's" foibles...
    points out some of the other sides misconceptions...
    Says some things I don't like
    Says some I really do

I give it a 78, Dick... It's got a good beat, and I can dance to it..

And reminds me of one "letter to the editor" I used to carry a copy of. Yet another classic, written by a liberal...

Letter From An Angry Reader in Esquire Mag.

So, I'll copy and book mark yours... thanks for the link... it is a good read. Though a bit long winded (and if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black...)

In response to rammerjammers second response above... I think the writer just chooses to go back to condition white... And frankly, I too wish we could all be in condition white... but not in this world... I wonder how the writer feels about the Aurora deal?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

GH
    He sort of portrays gun enthusiasts as mouth breathing knuckle-draggers.

I understand this was written in August 2010 but since November 2011 Wisconsin now has a CCW law & always had a Constitutional Carry (open carry) law. Illinois is the last holdout.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

The same author published a story on gun control in general immediately after Aurora. It's one of the best articles on the subject I've ever read, especially given how short it is.

The Price of Gun Control?By Dan Baum (Harper's Magazine)
    accessbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    [url=http://www.harpers.org/archive/2010/08/0083063] The author is a born-and-raised moderate liberal Democrat writing for a magazine that caters to readers just like its author.
    I guess that is why I have never read that magazine, nor ever will. What exactly is a moderate liberal Democrat anyway? I am an angry, meat eating, gun toting redneck.
    Harryball likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    He sort of portrays gun enthusiasts as mouth breathing knuckle-draggers.
    ...followed by....

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I guess that is why I have never read that magazine, nor ever will. What exactly is a moderate liberal Democrat anyway? I am an angry, meat eating, gun toting redneck.
    I'm a liberal and I'm very pro gun. Do you think I got that way by reading liberal publications? No. You can't claim to be fully informed on any divisive topic if you only expose yourself to ideas you already agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I'm a liberal and I'm very pro gun. Do you think I got that way by reading liberal publications? No. You can't claim to be fully informed on any divisive topic if you only expose yourself to ideas you already agree with.
    That is why I am a conservative. Just because I am a conservative does not mean I am an uneducated, illiterate inbred, I just don't associate with liberals, because they generally make my skin crawl and make me want to vomit with their political correct holier than thou attitudes.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Distinguished Member
    I actually like this article a lot.

Yes, he does a bit of stereotyping, but his analysis of concealed (and open) carry is very honest and fair. His conclusions, for the most part, are based on his actual experiences, and not just what "his party" tells him to believe.

He makes his own personal choices and does not condemn or vilify others for making their own.

My opinions may not line up with his, but I respect him.

I'm saving this article.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    That is why I am a conservative. Just because I am a conservative does not mean I am an uneducated, illiterate inbred, I just don't associate with liberals, because they generally make my skin crawl and make me want to vomit with their political correct holier than thou attitudes.
    I think problem is that you've hung out with jerks who happened to be liberal. Jerks come in every political flavor.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

I again have to emphasize, read that more recent article I posted. If you liked the older one, you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I think problem is that you've hung out with jerks who happened to be liberal. Jerks come in every political flavor.
    Though this quote above is not directed at me, I think I may have something to contribute here. I'm fairly politically apathetic, neutral, or whatever term you prefer. I am friends with conservatives and with liberals. Whatever they believe in, it's very important to me that they can speak civilly and respectfully to those from the opposite camp. They need to value people, especially their friends but not just their friends, as human beings. If they view people they vehemently disagree with as caricatures and stereotypes, reducing them to one dimension ("those bleeding heart liberals wanting to hand free money out to bums on the street" or "those fundamentalist conservatives who want guns to shoot minorities"), then I have no place for them. On internet forums, you sometimes encounter very strong, uncivil, disrespectful language. That makes you wonder whether the people behind such language are capable of civil, respectful discourse.

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I think that Dan Baum may be may have been separated from me at birth. Though I am more of a libertarian than a liberal, I imagine that my that my very liberal social positions are at odds with much of the gun community. Lke him, I learned to shoot a 22 in camp and then did not pick up a gun again for decades. Where I diverge from him is that since getting my CCL 8 years ago, I rarely fail to carry it if I am going some place I am legally permitted to carry it. I find it comforting to be prepared both mentally and ballistically. Not only that, but wearing my gun has never stooped me from enjoying tea and biscuits while listening to classical music and reading the New Yorker (after I leaf through the latest Midway and Cabelas catalogs
    Mark IL NM likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links