Florida first to a million

This is a discussion on Florida first to a million within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Florida is apparently the first state to reach 1 million citizens with permits to carry. Way to go Florida! The article has a bit of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Florida first to a million

Florida first to a million

Florida is apparently the first state to reach 1 million citizens with permits to carry.

Way to go Florida!

The article has a bit of a bias against concealed carry so don't shoot the messenger, I just wanted to pass along what we on the forum would see as good news.

Florida Gun Laws: First State To Surpass One Million Concealed Weapon Permits
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Well, they were the first to issue them IIRC so no too surprising. Good stuff though.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

OD*
    Indiana had "shall issue" many years ahead of Florida.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The headline of the article is a bit misleading. We haven't surpassed 1 million permits yet, but at the current rate of approved applications we will by the end of the year. Our paper gave a bit of the numbers about not only how many get issued but how many get revoked (pretty small number). The news is making it sound like we're all walking around with permits, I'm curious how many of them are in state vs out of state. A lot of non gun people don't realize we issue to non residents.
    Florida May Be First State To Top 1 Million Concealed Weapons Permits | TheLedger.com
    Proud to be one in (soon to be) a million!

like someone said " a lot of them are out of state permits "

In the aftermath of the Colorado movie theater massacre, background checks for concealed weapons permits spiked 14 percent in Florida -- that's 2,386 in the week since James Holmes allegedly shot and killed 12 moviegoers at an Aurora screening of "The Dark Knight Rises."
    CO is up 41% and FL is at 14%, I would like to see the numbers in other states as well. I can only imagine that they are up across the board

one million anti-Obama voters?
    darbo and msgt/ret like this.

The Gunshine State

With that happy title you would THINK we would enjoy the reputation of a "Well Armed State". We still have quite a stretch to earn that designation! One of my goals is to celebrate the day when over half of our adult population are well-armed, well-trained citizens with concealed carry permits. Then we will be the "Gunshine State"!

So the lowered cost was from $85 to $70, then I guess the total cost would go from $117 to $102. Great, they got a $15 tip from me since I put in for it in late June! So buy some donuts and get my dammed license to me.

I'm waiting on one from Florida now. It's been a month just today. Glad I put in for one before Joker Holmes made his move.--D.J.

GH
    I say we shoot the messenger, lol. We could use the live target practice.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I'm proud to be "One in a Million".
    darbo, BugDude, JoJoGunn and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Disclaimer: Not an actual suggestion because I get annoyed by everyone trying to reuse terms and catch phrases for unrelated issues... I just thought this would be funny.

We should have a "million permit march"!

And actually have a million people, not like all those who do a million something march, and then get like 50 people to show up.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Disclaimer: Not an actual suggestion because I get annoyed by everyone trying to reuse terms and catch phrases for unrelated issues... I just thought this would be funny.

We should have a "million permit march"!

And actually have a million people, not like all those who do a million something march, and then get like 50 people to show up.
    do a on line march and more poeple will show up

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Indiana had "shall issue" many years ahead of Florida.
    Yep, Washington too.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

It is on the rise and whether it is a million or not, I am sure it will get there eventually. All them old retired folks like Ret getting there stuff together!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    So the lowered cost was from $85 to $70, then I guess the total cost would go from $117 to $102. Great, they got a $15 tip from me since I put in for it in late June! So buy some donuts and get my dammed license to me.

I'm waiting on one from Florida now. It's been a month just today. Glad I put in for one before Joker Holmes made his move.--D.J.
    I always thought $117 was a bit much. VA put a limit of no more than $50 for a permit. I am thinking about getting a VA CCW since FL has a reciprocity agreement...
    Jollymann likes this.

About 11% of active permits are non-resident. That portion is growing; in the 2010-2011 report, about 14% of new or renewal applications were out of state.

Some day I'll be adding to that number.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links