Did Cinemark's policy prevent people from defending themselves in Aurora?

This is a discussion on Did Cinemark's policy prevent people from defending themselves in Aurora? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read an article at ( https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tim...&utm_content=) that claims Cinemark does not allow concealed carry in their theaters. I wrote the following letter to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Did Cinemark's policy prevent people from defending themselves in Aurora?

VIP Member

Did Cinemark's policy prevent people from defending themselves in Aurora?

I just read an article at (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tim...&utm_content=) that claims Cinemark does not allow concealed carry in their theaters.

I wrote the following letter to them (via their website - https://www.cinemark.com/contact-us.aspx):

I just read an article that claims you do not allow concealed carry in your theaters. Is this true? If so, you will*be losing me and my family as customers and I will be telling all of my friends as well. If your policy is to ban law-abiding citizens from entering your theaters with legally concealed handguns, then you have succeeded in allowing criminals to act unhindered with horrific consequences. Criminals will not abide by "Gun-free Zone" signs. If you keep guns out of your theaters, then only criminals will have guns in your theaters. If this is your policy, then you are also opening yourself up to major law suits, because your policy not only prevents people from defending themselves, but also puts them in grave danger.

Does anyone know if this is Cinemark's policy? I have not seen any signs posted in the theaters I've gone to in Texas. This is the time to act to expand our rights. We need to lobby our representatives to remove these senseless restrictions to our constitutionally protected right to bear arms. There should be no restrictions to where a law-abiding citizen can carry.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

According to numerous reports and even first-hand experiences of gun owners, all Cinemark theaters are “gun-free zones.” The owner of the Century 16 Multiplex, Plano, Texas-based Cinemark Holdings, does not allow anyone except law enforcement officers to carry legal firearms in their 459 theaters across the country.
    Sounds like a legitimate statement to me.

VIP Member
    I just found out that they are not 30.06 posted in Texas, so it seems that the above article either is wrong or just referring to Colorado.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    It's my opinion that their gun-free policy would only have prevented people from defending themselves if they obeyed the signs and left their firearms at home or in their vehicles. I say it like this because in CO, "no gun" signs don't have the force of law, so patrons such as myself would have carried concealed or not gone at all, and we would either have been able to defend ourselves (if we carried anyway) or not have needed to defend ourselves if we weren't there.

This is illustrative of the broader principle of gun control: it's not illegal to conceal a gun (with a permit) in the theater for self defense, but in doing so, you are breaking the rules of the establishment. In other words, only those who break the rules will have the guns to defend themselves while those who obey rules will be at the mercy of the rule breakers (the ones with bad intentions, at least). This is how it works at a legal level, too. Criminals don't care about the laws and will use a gun whenever it suits them, so only those who obey the laws will be disarmed and unable to fight back.

Again, the policy did not prevent people from defending themselves (legally), but it certainly caused the ones who obeyed the rules of the theater to go unarmed.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Agreed. Criminalizing upstanding citizens going about their lives merely ensures upstanding citizens will be disarmed while doing so (by following the laws, rules and policies pooh-poohing the carry of defensive weapons). By definition, criminals largely ignore such things and their pursuit of robbery and murder, the result being there will be nobody to stop such crimes in their tracks when they do occur.

Here's a similar questioning of such policies: Aurora Theatre Gun-Free Zone, from July 20th.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You also have the right to not go there.

Just sayin'.

They ( the survivors and the people that didn't ) need to sue Cinemark corp. when they deny you/your right to protect yourself they as a co have to provide a reasonable amount of security and they failed to do that. The fire door was not properly secured and allowed a criminal to enter.

I for one am boycotting Cinemark for their policy’s and lax security
    Burns and BenGoodLuck like this.

I have read that the city of Aurora (among others in CO) does not allow concealed carry by law. I don't live there, so I don't know for sure that it's true but if it is then Cinemark's policy is moot in this particular instance.

I've also read a newspaper article stating that the theater in Aurora was posted to allow no weapons, although it doesn't carry w/ the weight of a law. In addition, I also read that at the time of the shooting, the city of Aurora had in effect an ordinance making it illegal to discharge ANY weapon inside Aurora city limits, w/ no exceptions. So if someone had been carrying concealed, he'd been breaking the law if he fired it in self defense. How crazy is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I have read that the city of Aurora (among others in CO) does not allow concealed carry by law. I don't live there, so I don't know for sure that it's true but if it is then Cinemark's policy is moot in this particular instance.
    That has been brought up several times already, and debunked. CO state law was revised several years ago to preempt cities from prohibiting CC.

I find it interesting that, as bentcursor states, some of their theaters in TX aren't posted, even thought the company, headquartered in Plano, has a corporate no guns policy.
    Lish likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    I've also read a newspaper article stating that the theater in Aurora was posted to allow no weapons, although it doesn't carry w/ the weight of a law. In addition, I also read that at the time of the shooting, the city of Aurora had in effect an ordinance making it illegal to discharge ANY weapon inside Aurora city limits, w/ no exceptions. So if someone had been carrying concealed, he'd been breaking the law if he fired it in self defense. How crazy is that?
    Just looked at Aurora's codes, and they don't provide an exception for self defense usage. That's cold!
    My city does provide such an exception.

Well, I guess Mr Holmes is up for at least 71 violations of the no shooting ordinance. That's good for up to 70 years right there.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

They are negligent in the operation and monitering of their doors though.

I don't think I've been to a movie theatre since the early '90's when I resigned from working at one. I'm not a fan of crowds and saw enough drunk people (one of whom beat the tar out of me) in the 6 years I was behind the concession stand I don't care if I ever set foot in one again. On the rare occasion we decide to see a movie we go to the drive in. I don't even know which brand we have down here but even if they're posted, but in FL it doesn't carry the weight of law so I don't even know that I'd notice a sign in the window.

A lot of times what is referred to as a 'fire door' is considered an alternate exit. By having people leave through those doors and the ones at the back of the theatre it helps move people out faster, so it can get cleaned up and ready for the next group to come in. There may or may not not be a basis to sue for no alarm depending on local ordinances if it's considered simply an "exit" vs a "fire exit"

Sdprof- thanks for setting me straight on CO law.

Of course it did in reference to the thread title.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The posting was a direct cause of more death and injury there would have happen had The citizens been allowed to defend themselves.
    No question in my mind let the law suit be filed and hope for good juries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links