Regal Cinema posted

This is a discussion on Regal Cinema posted within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife asks me if we can go see "Hunger Games" tonight. Mind you I haven't gone to a movie in probably 8 years ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By 357and40

Thread: Regal Cinema posted

Regal Cinema posted

So my wife asks me if we can go see "Hunger Games" tonight. Mind you I haven't gone to a movie in probably 8 years (as long as we've been married) Just don't like going. So I stop by the Regal Cinema her in Western New York and sure enough, there's a itty-bitty no CCW sign on the front door. I know from reading the threads that some states have a certain size minimum as per state law. Does anyone know about NYS? Is this CANT situation or simply don't go to the cinema. It's bad enough I work in a "soft target" type of job, I don't wish to spend my leisure time in one as well.

Jim

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    from handgunlaw.us:

We are unable to determine if “No Gun” signs have the force of law in New York. Until we get more information Handgunlaw.us believes you should treat every “No Gun” sign on any private business as having the force of law.
    So yeah.. not sure.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I may fly in the face of some here but it is called concealed for a reason. With what happened at Colorado and the copy cat dude that got busted I wouldn't think about going with out some protection. I have been CC at the movies when I go and that was even before the shooting.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Whether legal or not, you have to decide what is in your best interest. Since I don't know if the sign has the force of law, I think that until you find out for sure, you should treat it as if it does. That means you have to figure out for yourself if it is better to carry concealed and potentially break the law (and lose your permit to CC?), go to another theater that isn't posted, or stay at home and wait for the DVD.

I'm not going to advise anyone to break the law (it's against the forum rules), but it's up to you to decide what is in your best interest and plan accordingly.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    My wife talked me into going to the movies last night to see the new batman movie, no signs on our theater, was quite glad to see that.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    My wife talked me into going to the movies last night to see the new batman movie, no signs on our theater, was quite glad to see that.
    What gun and how many reloads did u take
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    What gun and how many reloads did u take
    LCP, 2 mags. Was going to bring the M&P 9mm, but sitting through a 3 hour movie with that among my other stuff would not have been comfortable at all to say the least.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Since the source I use for this type of information can't give an answer, I'd opt for worst case scenario and assume signs do hold the weight of law. If it were me I'd wait until it is available on video and rent it, for several reasons:

1. It's cheaper
    2. The comfort of your home beats most theaters
    3. You can have any snack you want, and it won't cost you an arm and a leg
    4. Nobody talking around you
    5. No cell phones ringing during the movie
    6. You can pause it when you have to pee
    357and40, GeorgiaDawg and Ransom like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since the source I use for this type of information can't give an answer, I'd opt for worst case scenario and assume signs do hold the weight of law. If it were me I'd wait until it is available on video and rent it, for several reasons:

1. It's cheaper
    2. The comfort of your home beats most theaters
    3. You can have any snack you want, and it won't cost you an arm and a leg
    4. Nobody talking around you
    5. No cell phones ringing during the movie
    6. You can pause it when you have to pee
    We had a gift card from a long time ago, only reason we went

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    So my wife asks me if we can go see "Hunger Games" tonight. Mind you I haven't gone to a movie in probably 8 years (as long as we've been married) Just don't like going. So I stop by the Regal Cinema her in Western New York and sure enough, there's a itty-bitty no CCW sign on the front door. I know from reading the threads that some states have a certain size minimum as per state law. Does anyone know about NYS? Is this CANT situation or simply don't go to the cinema. It's bad enough I work in a "soft target" type of job, I don't wish to spend my leisure time in one as well.

Jim
    It's probably a requirement the heads of the chain (Regal) instituted which are all over the place. It's the only post I ever heard of in Buffalo. I respect owners of property wishes so I don't think I'd wear a gun. If a friend feels uncomfortable with a gun around the house I respect that - many do feel uncomfortable - (especially unknown people as a business would relate to them) - so I don't wear one in their houses. Frankly, unless I knew by shooting with them someone was safe with guns - I wouldn't feel that comfortable myself in my home.

You're talking about the posting of the property owner, it's not illegal to violate it, the most that could happen if someone who worked there saw your gun is be asked to leave. Like some stores that get a lot of children in summer - and post that shoes must be worn in stores. It's not like a 10 yr old is going to be arrested who goes in barefoot. He'll be asked to leave or put on his shoes.

Now, if you refused to leave it would be trespassing or something similar. But a sign like that is the owner's policy, not the State's.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    LCP, 2 mags. Was going to bring the M&P 9mm, but sitting through a 3 hour movie with that among my other stuff would not have been comfortable at all to say the least.
    CCW is supposed to be comfortING, not comfortABLE. Given the nature of the events surrounding the Batman movie (saw it & felt it really fell short <aside from how Anne Hathaway looked in the Catwoman getup... meeeeOW!>) I felt undergunned with a S&W M&P40c on my hip & a 357mag on my ankle.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    CCW is supposed to be comfortING, not comfortABLE. Given the nature of the events surrounding the Batman movie (saw it & felt it really fell short <aside from how Anne Hathaway looked in the Catwoman getup... meeeeOW!>) I felt undergunned with a S&W M&P40c on my hip & a 357mag on my ankle.
    I felt fine with the LCP, I was watching everybody who was going in and out and sat in a seat near the back wall, I also noticed security at the front door, must be because of what happened in CO.

My SA was super high the whole time I was at the theater. I don't think any of us will go to a theater int he near future and not be on high alert.

and again... Ann Hathaway in that costume... WOWZERS!!!!
    Burns likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

NC law says no carry anyplace where admission is charged for entry. Only crims can carry in theaters here. Very weird.

The sign has a revolver on it with a red line through it. Does that make semi autos OK?

Just askin.

Links