Ccw and my child!!!! Pet peeve

This is a discussion on Ccw and my child!!!! Pet peeve within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello forum, I live in a fairly rough part of saint louis, Missouri (Berkeley). I carry a glock 23 daily for my protection as well ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Ccw and my child!!!! Pet peeve

Ccw and my child!!!! Pet peeve

Hello forum, I live in a fairly rough part of saint louis, Missouri (Berkeley). I carry a glock 23 daily for my protection as well as my family (me, my fiance, and our 2 year old daughter and our 1 year old pit bull niko lol). I have gotten into THREE huge arguments with people saying that I should not have a gun in my house (guns are always locked away and out of access from my daughter), and I should not carry my gun when I am with my daughter. I would think that seeing as if I would do anything to make sure my family is safe that WHEN I AM WITH MY KID THAT IS THE TIME THAT I WOULD MOST DEFINITELY CARRY. People steal cars here often, armed robberies, and lots of home invasions. I definitely need to find a way to not let these people raise my blood pressure lol. Just had to vent
    ArmyMan likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Don't listen to the sheep, you have a family worth protecting, it would be foolish not to be able to defend them if you had to.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

How is it these people know so much about your guns?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    How is it these people know so much about your guns?
    Might OC, or just small talk with "friends"?
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    You can fix ignorance, but you can't fix stupid. Do what you feel is necessary to protect your family with the understanding that you have to deal with any consequences that arise from doing your duty, both positive and negative.
    goldshellback and Ionracas like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Your first priority is to protect your family. As to those who say not to carry, don't pay them any mind. If they wish to live with their head in the sand, that is their right.
    GH likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Don't listen to the sheep, you have a family worth protecting, it would be foolish not to be able to defend them if you had to.
    Sheep? You consider concern about children around guns sheepish, not manly enough hey? Ugh.....

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    Sheep? You consider concern about children around guns sheepish, not manly enough hey? Ugh.....
    I think that anyone who believes that a responsible father/ccw holder shouldn't be able to own or carry a gun is a sheep, I can think of no better definition.
    Bad Bob, GH, Harryball and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    I have gotten into THREE huge arguments with people saying that I should not ... carry my gun when I am with my daughter.

... WHEN I AM WITH MY KID THAT IS THE TIME THAT I WOULD MOST DEFINITELY CARRY.
    You've got the right idea. Nobody's going to be as supportive of your ability to keep your children safe as you are. Do what you must. Ignore the ignorant diatribes for what they are. In time, such blindness might be lessened or even cured, but it's going to need to be on their time. Don't let it be yours. Time (and your family) is far too precious to worry about the little things.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 28th, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    You can fix ignorance, but you can't fix stupid. Do what you feel is necessary to protect your family with the understanding that you have to deal with any consequences that arise from doing your duty, both positive and negative.
    You should protect your children in both ways, the way you mention and also secure your guns home as your "friends" tell you - (their style seems kind of odd, but it may come out of concern for all of you, I don't know them) so there are no child/gun accidents - and the most secure is a safe, perhaps you could get one of those quick-access small carriers to both keep your children safe from finding a gun and also have the ability to protect quickly at night from anyone entering your home and also be able to carry it - a good holster makes that safe and you likely have one. Those small safes are easy to rob though - (although I should talk, I have one larger but not that large that some 2 guys with lots of determination could move outside and I have GOT to bolt it down.)

You should get some other good advice from people here with children - one of the regrets of my life is I have none and am aging - so you are blessed. But from what I have heard this does not have to an either-or situation - and it is from people that I know around my area.

Best
    Last edited by walleye; July 29th, 2012 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I think that anyone who believes that a responsible father/ccw holder shouldn't be able to own or carry a gun is a sheep, I can think of no better definition.
    Look, you're the type discussions are useless to attempt - but there are ways plenty of people with children keep them safe from gun accidents and as safe (as possible) from street and home violence. It is completely irresponsible to suggest that cowardice and keeping your loved ones safe from gun-accidents go together. Someone might believe that and do it. Are you so blind that you create the impression the same people you try to protect one way are cannon fodder when it comes to another because it's gun safety and to you that's sheepish. I didn't use a question mark to end that because the response is not in question.

Over and OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    Are you so blind that you create the impression the same people you try to protect one way are cannon fodder when it comes to another because it's gun safety and to you that's sheepish. I didn't use a question mark to end that because the response is not in question.

Over and OUT.
    You're saying gun safety means not owning or carrying a gun around a child regardless of how responsible you are and then call me blind? I stated my views, if you don't agree with them I have no problem with it, your life your decision.
    atctimmy, BurgerBoy, mprp and 4 others like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Walleye: part of doing your duty to protect your family includes protecting them from themselves. Putting in necessary measures to prevent children from harming themselves and others with the firearms is part of the equation, whether that is through keeping the guns away from the kids or teaching them how to handle them properly, or both, is up to the parent to do based on the circumstances they are in. But having firearms accessible for home protection is also part of the equation.

All I'm saying is that the OP needs to do what he believes is right to protect himself and his family. He needs to make an educated decision and hold to his convictions. If that means doing what the neighbors say, then so be it.
    AZJD1968, accessbob and phreddy like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Every poster has already hit on most of the points I'd cover.

My .40 cents here is unless these people arguing their point to you actually mean something to you (family, friends, etc.) then tune 'em out. Your probly not gonna convince 'em of a single thing and they're not going to presuade you into their fold. To heck with 'em.
    mlr1m and BurgerBoy like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I started shooting before I started school. All four of us (sister included) could safely handle guns early in life and there was not one single incident, ever.

Let this concerned Dad teach his family how to do it safely now and they'll grow up to respect firearms and other people.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 28th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links