Carry the Gun You Shoot Best or the Gun You Shoot Just OK with the Higher Caliber?

This is a discussion on Carry the Gun You Shoot Best or the Gun You Shoot Just OK with the Higher Caliber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PLEASE READ FIRST: I'm forever going back and forth between a gun in 45acp I shoot well but not as quickly or accurately as a ...

View Poll Results: If You Shoot a High Caliber Gun Well But Not As Well As A Lower Caliber Gun:

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Carry The HIGHER CALIBER GUN Even Though I Don't Shoot It Best

8 7.14%
  • I Carry The LOWER CALIBER GUN Even Though It's Not As Powerful

59 52.68%
  • I Don't Need To Make A Choice: I Shoot Best With The Higher Caliber Gun

45 40.18%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Carry the Gun You Shoot Best or the Gun You Shoot Just OK with the Higher Caliber?

Carry the Gun You Shoot Best or the Gun You Shoot Just OK with the Higher Caliber?

PLEASE READ FIRST:

I'm forever going back and forth between a gun in 45acp I shoot well but not as quickly or accurately as a 9mm (Beretta 92FS) or one of two Colt snubs 38 Spl with great rounds of Buffalo Bore, incredible penetration.. I think it's not the 45 gun for I've noticed the same thing with other 45s. Good but never as good as with the others. If you have a somewhat similar line-up of guns and shooting ability with different calibers, which do you go with (I mean that you shoot the higher caliber well, just not As Well as the Gun(s) with lower caliber).
    Last edited by walleye; July 29th, 2012 at 04:15 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I'd shoot the one that I shoot best! A bunch of large misplaced shots are not going to help you at all.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I shoot best with my Sig P220R .45

I shoot well with my (department issue) Glock 22 .40

I shoot good with several 9mm's I've shot, but I've never owned a 9mm
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'd shoot the one that I shoot best! A bunch of large misplaced shots are not going to help you at all.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    PLus I just thought of something: most say in the middle of a life and death moment, you might not be at your best with any of your guns. So, if you're using one that is not your tops for shooting ability to begin with, it may really be off in a crisis for you and - TOO LATE - can't go home and get the other.

I shoot .40 the best, for the point of this thread.

Im not going to lie in court if Im ever asked whyI chose the gun I carry. Frankly saying I chose this firearm because I am most proficient with it sounds better than I chose this one because it makes a bigger hole.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I shoot best with a Sig-220 in .45 ACP even out to twenty five yards. However, it's not the most practical gun for me to carry. I carry the little Smith & Wesson revolver, but I'm only accurate to about seven to ten yards and considering the weight difference, the .45 is actually easier to handle.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    My .45 works for me

I shoot my .40 cal better than my .45, and both guns are the same size. So, I carry the .40.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I did a test at the range of all my carry guns with a timer and 3 target stands at 10 yards with paper plates. I tested with a timer and did double taps on all three plates. I found that I did best with my XDM 4.5 9mm 2nd best Beretta PX4 45 and least with my LCR 38 sp.
    I still carry the LCR most often because of ease of carry and concealment.
    I'm sure if I used my 22 LR Beretta Bobcat it would beet them all but not a good defensive caliber but sometimes carry in coat pocket as a BUG.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

VIP Member
    My carry gun varies. I carry what is appropriate for any given day/situation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This is an interesting question for me right now... I have 2 carry guns. I cary the one that is approperate for what I am wearing, either my glock 26 or LCP.
    I am a woodworker and about a week and a half ago I stuck my left (off hand) index finger into the jointer blade and bit the end off pretty well. luckly I did not get bone and the finger is healing nicely. As you would guess i'm not exactly as confident because of my injured hand... at least last week... the G26 is the easier of the 2 guns to shoot one handed. so i had to make the clothing choise to allow for the glock to be carried... not a big deal but i did think about it... once again its not like im choosing between a 380 and 45 but when you are choosing between one of the little 380s and just about anything else I think its most likely going to be the bigger round you find more confortable.

A good friend of mine has a Tarus 24/7 in 45 and I find that it has the same precieved kick or maybe a bit less then the LCP.

At the end of the day I perfer to carry the glock over the lcp, but the lcp means that I can carry almost anywhere I am legally allowed.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    Second that.

I carry the largest caliber gun I can practically/conveniently carry that I am proficient with. With the typical engagement distance of 7-10 feet, I won't give up caliber just because I'm more accurate at 7-25 yards with a smaller handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by true grit View Post
    I did a test at the range of all my carry guns with a timer and 3 target stands at 10 yards with paper plates. I tested with a timer and did double taps on all three plates. I found that I did best with my XDM 4.5 9mm 2nd best Beretta PX4 45 and least with my LCR 38 sp.
    I still carry the LCR most often because of ease of carry and concealment.
    I'm sure if I used my 22 LR Beretta Bobcat it would beet them all but not a good defensive caliber but sometimes carry in coat pocket as a BUG.
    This is where I am at right now. I do not carry because I cannot find a comfortable rig to carry my .45 with. I have a S&W Bodyguard .38 I am considering carrying but I am not near as accurate with it as my .45

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links