jogging with a gun

This is a discussion on jogging with a gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my edc is a glock 19 in a custom iwb leather holster olight t 20 flash light a spyderco tenacious a leatherman wingman multi tool ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jogging with a gun

jogging with a gun

my edc is a glock 19 in a custom iwb leather holster olight t 20 flash light a spyderco tenacious a leatherman wingman multi tool a wallet a cellphone parracord bracelet . what should i carry when i jog i have a kahr cm9 i sometimes but very few carry
    do not morne death but celebrate life

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glock42 View Post
    my edc is a glock 19 in a custom iwb leather holster olight t 20 flash light a spyderco tenacious a leatherman wingman multi tool a wallet a cellphone parracord bracelet . what should i carry when i jog i have a kahr cm9 i sometimes but very few carry
    Carry w smart carry? I've never used it but it's an option as long as you don't mind having a gun down there. No belt required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't carry when I run...they can pry my 20 dollar mp3 player from my cold sweaty fingers if they want to....
    Seriously, it is almost unheard of for a male runner to be assualted so when I run (6-18 miles) I don't bother.

When I run at home (in Ohio) in my own neighborhood, I don't carry. But I spend a lot of time in AZ, and when I'm there, I often run in M.O.N. (middle of nowhere). Then I carry my LCP in the pocket of my shorts. There is a bit of flop, but it's not bad. I recall reading a thread where one guy described the rig he wore during running. It sounded great, but I can't remember what it was or where I read it. Maybe someone else will provide some insight.

Those shirts with the pocket under the arm? I don't run, unless there is a sale on beer and steak.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I am an avid runner, competing mostly in half marathons.

So, I train regularly (about 20-25 miles a week) and I often carry while training. I have thought through a lot of options, but typically have dismissed them because of 1) lack of concealment, 2) difficulty in keeping the gun secured, 3) chaffing from holster against skin (running 10-12 miles), etc.

I have finally found my preferred setup that I use exclusively now:

- Kahr PM9 with Crimson Trace Laser
    - Crossbreed Minituck holster for same; all black (CrossBreed Holsters > Home)
    - Adjustable FuelBelt Revenge 2 (custom fit version, which is adjustable) ( FuelBelt Revenge 2-Bottle Belt Custom Fit )

You snap the standard clips of the Minituck to the Fuelbelt, like you would any conventional belt. You then put the FuelBelt and Minituck rig around your waist along the wasteband of your shorts or pants and attach the velcro fastening system--place the Minituck at your preferred position (i.e. 4 o'clock).

The velcro is very strong and will keep the Fuelbelt in place along with the Minituck and Kahr. I usually push the whole rig down on my hips to lock everything in place on my body and that prevents movement of the gun.

I wear black shorts or pants, so the black holster and gun blend in with the shorts. I have my running shirt over the top of the gun and it naturally drapes down over the gun/holster. I can still tuck the shirt up in the back (above the waterbottles) for easy access to the water.

The storage pouch is great for holding nutrition packets (i.e. Gu), if you use them.

What is nice about this setup is that it is very secure and very concealable--it looks like you're just a runner carrying your water bottles.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips; I think the Fuelbelt is the idea I was thinking of. Since my running gun is an LCP, I could probably store it in one of the belt pouches. I'll have to check.

This thread hits close to home. I have been taking 3 to 4 mile walks several times a week for years. I've just started transitioning to running. The Glock or any large gun is too heavy and causes a lot of discomfort. I've been using my 32-caliber Taurus 732 in a IWB holster on my shorts. It is "better" than the other ways I've tried but still gets a bit irritating. I'm still trying to find a better way to carry while running that doesn't flop around, cause discomfort, or try to work its way out of my belt where it might fall on the ground.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Question for everybody (mostly for folks that run 10 miles plus, and I am asking this because I am just plain curious,)-How good do you think your decision making process's are while running 10 + miles in regards to being able to identify a threat correctly and act appropriatley. I am not going to ccome up with examples because their are too many.

suntzu, I think the answer will be "it depends". ;)

It depends on the level of exertion of the runner. It depends on their level of attention. It depends on their training--both physical and firearms. It depends.

Once you're in shape, a 10 mile run, done at a typical "long run" pace, is not that taxing to you mentally or physically. So, during those times, you are pretty aware of your environment and certainly wide awake. Runners are often keyed to their environment because nowadays ~everyone~ is trying to run them over with a car. ;)

With that said, there is certainly the possibility of zoning out and not being as aware as you should be. However, when push comes to shove (literally?), it is better to have the gun with you for the option of being able to draw/shoot.

Although I carry mainly for two-legged threats, it is interesting to note that I came the closest to drawing because of a four-legged threat.

This is what I use, but only for shorter runs (6-18 miles) j/k suntzu

They work well, but after a few miles they can become annoying. If you use a search, there are plenty of threads like this already.

Pistol Wear - Comfortable Concealment Holsters For Concealed Carry

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Obviously it depends. On a long hill day I like to hit the uphills hard, 10 terrorists could be in front of me and I wouldn't notice LOL. But I'' admit I zone out after 8 miles or so (wear headphones also). And I will say that when I run the only times I really try to be aware of my surroundings is when approaching intersections or where traffic is a problem. Other than that I am not worrying about. The chances are so far remote of me being attacked in broad daylight running is so low I am not concerned about it. And what will they get? A 20 dollar mp3 player. But what ever folks feel conmfy with is the important thing.
    I am good at H2H and train a lot. I also carry a knife and water bottle (a good dose of accelerade in ones eyes can give the runner an advantage). But as far as carrying, nope, never will. Be safe!

I have been using the 5.11 fanny pack when I run. Holds my lc9 tight to the body with no annoying bounce. The iPhone clips right on the belt and I'm ready to go.

Bellyband with P3AT in front of my hipbone. I clip my knife at SOB and have my iPhone/music in a belt holster clipped over my shorts and bellyband. My hipbone keeps them stable and any bulge that might be noticed is deemed the phone. No problems at at for me with this setup but I only run about 3 miles at a time.

Suntzu: was just joshing. I hate running. I'll do a few miles here and there, but cant stand it. I'll ride my mountain bike till the cows come home, but im one cranky SOB when I run

Carvin: Leave it to 5.11 to make a "cool" fanny pack Not a bad idea though...draws ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links