Travelling to Cincinnati

This is a discussion on Travelling to Cincinnati within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I was looking for some feedback. I'm from Minnesota and I'm travelling to Ohio (by way of Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana) and staying in Cincinnati. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By 21bubba

Thread: Travelling to Cincinnati

Travelling to Cincinnati

Hi, I was looking for some feedback. I'm from Minnesota and I'm travelling to Ohio (by way of Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana) and staying in Cincinnati. I was looking to find feeback from someone in the area to find out if businesses tend to ban guns there. I live in a suburb of Minneapolis and I don't see many ban guns signs out here, but once you get in to the city they are everywhere. I was wondering if this is the case. I will be attending the Duke Energy Convention Center as well, I didn't see anything on their website though. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as well as for traveling. I'm very nervous to be driving through Illinois, even though I know the rules. I have been carrying for almost a year but still get a little squeamish about law enforcement, even though I'll be following the rules! And lastly, I apologize if this is not in the correct topic thread, I'm new to discussion forums and to this page as well!!

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

It appears Ohio does not honor Minnesota
    Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements
    Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements

You might want to Google concealed carry groups/organizations in Ohio to see if they can give you any info.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have a Florida permit that will cover me through everything but Illinois.

Concealed Carry Municipal Code

The City of Cincinnati has a Municipal Code which prohibits the possession of firearms in facilities owned by the city (i.e. the convention center) unless you are an active duty law enforcement official. Regardless of the type of permit you have, what state it was issued in, etc. unless you are an LEO, you are not permitted to bring a weapon into the convention center. You can view this code at library.municode.com. It is under Title VII: Section 708.41.

No carry in the Duke Convention center. The no gun signs are etched into the glass in the doors.

How frequently places are posted depends on the part of the city you are going to be in. Downtown, where the convention center is, a fair number of places are posted.

Signs do carry the force of law here. The Ohio AG's website has a good manual on the topic: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - Concealed carry
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks guys! That is very helpful. I will have to plan something to do for when I will be in the convention center for training. I think the car may be a better option than the hotel room. I appreciate your knowledge on the subject! I feel a lot better knowing ahead of time vs going and then having to turn around and go back to stash it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kzapzizzle View Post
    Thanks guys! That is very helpful. I will have to plan something to do for when I will be in the convention center for training. I think the car may be a better option than the hotel room. I appreciate your knowledge on the subject! I feel a lot better knowing ahead of time vs going and then having to turn around and go back to stash it somewhere.
    You are welcome, have a safe trip.

The area down around the convention center isn't too bad crime wise. Once you actually leave downtown though, there are a number of areas where you wouldn't want to venture.

Make sure you enjoy some Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream while you are here.

There is also Goettafest going on across the river in Newport (a good area to visit, right across from downtown, and a lot to do on the Levee).

And if you want to pay the big bucks, stop by the Montgomery Inn (the Boathouse is closest to downtown), for some ribs, or a Jeff Ruby steakhouse.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The area down around the convention center isn't too bad crime wise. Once you actually leave downtown though, there are a number of areas where you wouldn't want to venture.

Make sure you enjoy some Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream while you are here.
    My husband will be happy to hear that it's not the worst area. I doubt I'll be venturing far from the hotel/convention center. And I do have Skyline Chilli on the agenda!! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    No carry in the Duke Convention center. The no gun signs are etched into the glass in the doors.

How frequently places are posted depends on the part of the city you are going to be in. Downtown, where the convention center is, a fair number of places are posted.

Signs do carry the force of law here. The Ohio AG's website has a good manual on the topic: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - Concealed carry
    Hi Buckeye,

You mention that the signs carry the force of law, but isn't it true the the law is written such that if you KNOWINGLY disobey the sign you are guilty ? If you didn't see the sign and leave once confronted you are OK ??

Not trying to be argumentative, just looking for clairificion.

Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Hi Buckeye,

You mention that the signs carry the force of law, but isn't it true the the law is written such that if you KNOWINGLY disobey the sign you are guilty ? If you didn't see the sign and leave once confronted you are OK ??

Not trying to be argumentative, just looking for clairificion.

Thanks !!
    Steve

I am not a lawyer, and I am not going to give something that could be construed as legal advice to answer that.

I certainly would not want to be a test case for that scenario. And I prefer not to spend my money at places me and my pistol are not welcome.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Stay in Kentucky and taxi to and from the cesspool.
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Check to see if your hotel has in room safes, I think better than leaving in the car. Downtown is pretty safe, they really cleaned it up for the World Choir Games. As for Skyline, some would say Gold Star is better (my preference). One of the major debates in the area. The banks is pretty active and safe also. Its right by the ballpark.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Links