sitting down in public - Page 2

sitting down in public

This is a discussion on sitting down in public within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a firm believer in the maxim of "If you feel uncomfortable carrying, then don't" and if for you that's church, then that's fine. And ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: sitting down in public

I'm a firm believer in the maxim of "If you feel uncomfortable carrying, then don't" and if for you that's church, then that's fine. And yeah, maybe there's some cops, but I personally am not going to risk my life to the assumption that someone else is going to be there to protect me. I will handle that responsibility myself if given the opportunity. That and church isn't always a one stop shop. Today I went to church, then to the store, got some gas and then went home. Certainly wanted my gun for all those places too.

I don't always carry 100% of the time, I admit it, but I don't carry because I feel a place is more safe. I bet everyone in CO never would have guessed a madman would've ruined a totally epic and amazing opening night movie...but it happened.
    Just my honest opinion, sorry OP for getting off topic

Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the maxim of "If you feel uncomfortable carrying, then don't" and if for you that's church, then that's fine. And yeah, maybe there's some cops, but I personally am not going to risk my life to the assumption that someone else is going to be there to protect me. I will handle that responsibility myself if given the opportunity. That and church isn't always a one stop shop. Today I went to church, then to the store, got some gas and then went home. Certainly wanted my gun for all those places too.

I don't always carry 100% of the time, I admit it, but I don't carry because I feel a place is more safe. I bet everyone in CO never would have guessed a madman would've ruined a totally epic and amazing opening night movie...but it happened.
    Just my honest opinion, sorry OP for getting off topic
    Well movie theater is one thing and church is another. But I understand what your saying yes I understand that a bad guy can come in and shoot up a place anytime but. But I think that the likely of it happen in a church is far less then any way were else. Church is probably the only place I have not carried into. But I dont mine carry any were else. Sign or no sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church?
    Look here for reasons.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Carrying SOB can be a SOB!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I read about people that were carrying SOB and fell down on their back and have broken vertebrae and been paralyzed. Something about that completely turns me off of SOB. I prefer 4 o'clock

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Lol that pretty crazy!!!! well I'm Pentecostal and there as only been 7 in 13 year I think that is a very small percent compare to the world. and really if u think about it that is a small percent of the crime in the world you have to look at the over all precent 389 over 13 year. And out of the 389 how many were acually death not all them are deaths. I mean you do the math that is pretty stinking low. I'm not try to tell people what to do. I'm just stating a fact that if you look at the chart it don't happen as much as people are clamming. I understand we're people are comming from. Yes it is better to be safe then sorry. The way I look at it weather carry or not if it's your time to go it's your time to go and there nothing your going to be able to do about it. Don't get me wrong I love to carry my gun To protect my family I just think so people get a little to Paranoid.

Is it not uncomfortable when you drive? My back hurts anyway, I can't imagine giving it another reason to hurt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

GH
    I wish I COULD carry in church. It's attached to our school & in my state that's a felony. Makes no difference if school isn't in session. We've had 3 episodes of deranged men (non-members) that suddenly stood up & yelled at the pastor about one thing or another. They could have just as easily been armed. Fortunately they weren't. I saw people shoving their kids under the pews - myself included.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church?

Do a Google search on church shootings, that should answer your question.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    I realized something on our usual Sunday trip to the library threw me a curve today. My girls were getting books and I was looking for a chair to wait and surf on my phone. I usually sit in the same chair weekly but today there was someone in my spot. I had on a slightly shorter than normal shirt and the only spot where I could sit with my back relatively unexposed had chairs with seperate backs instead of the solid back I usually sit in. I browsed for a minute til the girls got their books then we left.
    It's just another thing a new cc has to watch for.
    I suppose I will eventually figure out what to do when I can't get a booth at a restaurant . I carry iwb small of the back. If I have to sit in a regular chair I will reveal my weapon. Was looking at vests today with a large enough pouch for my weapon so I could transfer to that pocket if need be.
    I wear one of several vests, most in leather, I leave them unbuttoned and can conceal anything worn on waist (waist, below the belly button, not the hips) with no problem. Even a Colt Python full size on my rt will conceal fine under an unbuttoned vest. My way to go.

Well movie theater is one thing and church is another.
    They're both undefended, populated places, with seating arrangements that makes getting away quickly a difficulty, and venues that are open to people coming in at any time.

Granted, that a church's congregation would likely notice a newbie/stranger in a way that's irrelevant in a theater, but that doesn't take away from the reality of the ease of entry and ease of starting to harm large numbers of people.

In short, a church service isn't any less likely to result in the loss of innocent life, if only a murderer decides to enter.
    sigmanluke and thephanatik like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We can't carry in Churches in Texas either.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Most of the time I appendix carry a subcompact Glock, which eliminates any printing issues when seated.
    If I carry strong side IWB, I use a Blade-Tech UCH with the pistol canted forward enough that the grip doesn't extend past my side.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Carrying SOB can be a SOB!
    Yep a lot of people slip and fall and land on that piece of steel/poly it can lead to serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Last week at church, I was asked to fill in for an absent elder in handing out the communion meal. I had to sit down on a wooden bench with the other church elders prior to passing everything out, and since I had been sitting in a cloth-backed chair in the very back row of the church, I didn't even think about my carry piece being noticed when sitting down. Well, I sat down nice and firmly on the wooden bench and it made a very loud *thud* sound as I sat and the butt of my Colt made contact with the wooden back. I felt like everyone was staring but I think only my father-in-law knew what it was, since no one else knew I was carrying. Needless to say, I will be paying much better attention to how I sit while packing.
    Funny you should say that. Yesterday I carried to church for the first time, so I was a bit self-conscious about it. Then I was asked to fill in for someone serving communion. I really had to think--am I completely confident it wouldn't be noticed? I decided yeah, I'm good to go. Served with no problem--we don't sit on a wooden pew first so no possibility of clunking, heh.

As for why I carry in church, I was asked to by our church safety committee. They recognize that to a criminal, churches are "fair game". The church's top concern is keeping our children safe from sexual predators, and they have a full spectrum safety plan covering natural disasters, medical emergencies, and so on including security against lethal threats.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links