sitting down in public

This is a discussion on sitting down in public within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JDlewis My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: sitting down in public

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because as already proven by posted links in this thread, sometimes churches are targeted by attackers.

Yea true but the likely hood of a bad guy coming into a church and shooting it up is far less then someone else. Plus like the church I go to there is already cops there so I have not need to carry in there.

Then don't carry in church, it's your choice.

Lol that pretty crazy!!!! well I'm Pentecostal and there as only been 7 in 13 year I think that is a very small percent compare to the world. and really if u think about it that is a small percent of the crime in the world you have to look at the over all precent 389 over 13 year. And out of the 389 how many were acually death not all them are deaths. I mean you do the math that is pretty stinking low. I'm not try to tell people what to do. I'm just stating a fact that if you look at the chart it don't happen as much as people are clamming. I understand we're people are comming from. Yes it is better to be safe then sorry. The way I look at it weather carry or not if it's your time to go it's your time to go and there nothing your going to be able to do about it. Don't get me wrong I love to carry my gun To protect my family I just think so people get a little to Paranoid.
    This last post of yours makes absolutely no sense at all. I don't know if the poor spelling, grammar, and lack of punctuation are caused by posting from a smart phone, but it is really hard to follow. So what if a lot of shootings don't result in death, I don't want to be shot period, or stabbed or beaten with a club, even if I know I would survive. Same for my family. Death is not the only reason I have to protect myself and my family, but it's top of the list.

As to the part in bold, you state if it's your time to go there is nothing you can do about it, then you state that you love to carry your gun to protect your family. I'm a little confused now, if it's their time to go, why would you carry a gun to protect them? Like you said, there's nothing you can do about it. Or is there...

If you think carrying a gun everywhere we go makes us paranoid, I'm sorry but you've bought into the rhetoric that is put out there by the Brady's and other anti-gun resources out there.
    40Bob, Ransom, goldmaster and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

SmartCarry.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if anyone notices your gun while using a SmartCarry, they want to buy you dinner and make you breakfast. :)

there have been several attempts to steal church offerings as some can be quite large. bad guys may see this as an easy score.

Yea true but the likely hood of a bad guy coming into a church and shooting it up is far less then someone else. Plus like the church I go to there is already cops there so I have not need to carry in there.

Actually the likelihood of a shooter incident occurring is pretty rare in any venue. Home fires are also not that likely, but I'll bet you have at least, a smoke detector and likely an extinguisher as well "Just in case".

I agree, if you're going to carry, carry all the time. Just in case.

If there are OD LEOs in the congregation get with them and talk things over and make sure they know that you'll be on their six if the SHTF.

Regarding the posts about paranoid etc. I think Carry can become so hyper-focused that it's way beyond the frequency of dangerous events usually seen, I'd say the same for anyone practicing fire-drills daily at home, or installing two emergency brakes on their car.

I Carry when I objectively know the odds increase of danger, usually after dark. other times while I know something could happen, where I live and usually go that would be on the same likelihood of many other things I accept as highly unlikely random events none of us concern ourselves with - flash floods while driving, or picking up the Ebola virus, or the store we are in having a catastrophic fire. There's hundreds.

But with the Movie massacre it may be the OP, who is with his family, is now acutely aware of danger in crowds where we wouldn't expect a shooting. I usually Carry in a Movie Theater, but more on chance of fights if gangs show up, that kind of thing.

Anyway, just some thoughts, I bet folks that Carry are going to be quite conscious of crowded places for awhile. Who could not be, least for awhile - too bad it won't likely keep up for everybody, armed or not.
    Last edited by walleye; July 30th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcarr View Post
    We can't carry in Churches in Texas either.
    Unfortunately, it might well take a "Luby's Cafe" style massacre at a church before the people rise up to change it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've talked with my pastor about the issue and he has actually encouraged me to carry my firearm while present at church. Out of respect, I didn't want to carry there if it was going to be an issue (for the elders/leaders), but he's all for it. I just need to be more careful when sitting, apparently
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Lol that pretty crazy!!!! well I'm Pentecostal and there as only been 7 in 13 year I think that is a very small percent compare to the world. and really if u think about it that is a small percent of the crime in the world you have to look at the over all precent 389 over 13 year. And out of the 389 how many were acually death not all them are deaths. I mean you do the math that is pretty stinking low. I'm not try to tell people what to do. I'm just stating a fact that if you look at the chart it don't happen as much as people are clamming. I understand we're people are comming from. Yes it is better to be safe then sorry. The way I look at it weather carry or not if it's your time to go it's your time to go and there nothing your going to be able to do about it. Don't get me wrong I love to carry my gun To protect my family I just think so people get a little to Paranoid.

What percentage of movie theaters have been shot up? If you go by your logic, there is not much need to carry anywhere.

My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church?

Church is a prime target. Many folks carry in church. Many.

Joh 15:18-20 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. (19) If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. (20) Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you;
    GeorgiaDawg and thephanatik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    What percentage of movie theaters have been shot up? If you go by your logic, there is not much need to carry anywhere.
    Yup.

Everyone carries for different reasons, of course. But it can be hard to present an effective defense in a life-or-death survival situation without sufficient preparation and tools. Quite simply, it's hard to be leveraging tools that are left home in a box.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcarr View Post
    We can't carry in Churches in Texas either.

barstoolguru wrote:By law is the 30.06 sigh required to make it illegal to carry in a church. The only way you could carry is by written permission

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (b) (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

If no 30.06 sign it is ok to carry

this is what the legal dept came up with... I addressed another board that handles texas laws on CCing
    Last edited by barstoolguru; July 30th, 2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: to make a correction

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Abraham Lincoln was shot in a theater and he has security.... over 150 years later and things are still no better
    phreddy and LenS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    I realized something on our usual Sunday trip to the library threw me a curve today. My girls were getting books and I was looking for a chair to wait and surf on my phone. I usually sit in the same chair weekly but today there was someone in my spot. I had on a slightly shorter than normal shirt and the only spot where I could sit with my back relatively unexposed had chairs with seperate backs instead of the solid back I usually sit in. I browsed for a minute til the girls got their books then we left.
    It's just another thing a new cc has to watch for.
    I suppose I will eventually figure out what to do when I can't get a booth at a restaurant . I carry iwb small of the back. If I have to sit in a regular chair I will reveal my weapon. Was looking at vests today with a large enough pouch for my weapon so I could transfer to that pocket if need be.
    So as I'm reading your OP I thought "library = 'government building' = gun-free-zone = you committed a crime". Fortunately I pride myself on doing my homework before opening my mouth and discovered: Recently passed bill ends gun ban at city facilities (Texas CHL)

I wish they'd pass that law in my neck of the woods.
    stancehold likes this.

Move it to 4 oclock. Less printing, but I still have issues with short shirts and not bending at the knees. Darn kids dropping their toys at restaurants...
    pittypat21 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Don't get me wrong I love to carry my gun To protect my family I just think so people get a little to Paranoid.
    It is way better to not need the gun you have on you when you take it EVERYWHERE (like I do) than to need it and not have it. Statistical probabilities are not something I want to risk my life, or my loved ones' lives, on. It would totally suck to be the one out of a million who gets targeted and you don't have a means for fighting back. Just ask the guy in Connecticut who had his family tortured and killed in front of him whether he thinks it would be a good idea to have had a gun on him while at home. Chances are he would feel different about it today than he did before the incident happened. Do I want to go through anything like what he did? No, so I am prepared. I am not paranoid as I seriously doubt that it will happen. But it has happened to somebody and I don't want to be the one it happens to and that includes carrying in church (which we can do here in Oregon with no special permissions needed).
    GeorgiaDawg and LenS like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links