sitting down in public - Page 4

sitting down in public

This is a discussion on sitting down in public within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JDlewis My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church? https://www.google.com/search?q=chur...ient=firefox-a...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: sitting down in public

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chur...ient=firefox-a
    GH likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's just one more reason the SOB position is less desirable. You might want to reconsider other options.
    Yes, the two times I outed myself were both with SOB carry. First time in a restaurant when I got up and put my jacket on to leave, not realizing that the entire wall behind me was a mirror. Waitstaff at bar was agitated as they saw the gun (I had taken off my suit jacket after sitting down, but put it on after standing up . . . my bad!). Second time was at Town Meeting in the school auditorium, wearing a short jacket that rode up over the butt of the gun (nickeled Colt Det Spcl . . . for extra visibility ) as I got up to speak. I heard the gasps from behind me and just chuckled to myself . . . nobody said anything but if they did talk to one of the cops on duty they would have just told them "he's one of us" and that would have been the end of it. But I did learn a lesson.

Well movie theater is one thing and church is another. But I understand what your saying yes I understand that a bad guy can come in and shoot up a place anytime but. But I think that the likely of it happen in a church is far less then any way were else. Church is probably the only place I have not carried into. But I dont mine carry any were else. Sign or no sign.
    Apparently you are unaware that pastors/priests/rabbis are frequently turned to for marriage counseling. And if a marriage falls apart after such counseling, you really don't think that the aggrieved party might not seek "revenge" in a twisted way? Thanks but I wouldn't want to bet my or my Wife's life on that.

Quote Originally Posted by fadepoint89 View Post
    I read about people that were carrying SOB and fell down on their back and have broken vertebrae and been paralyzed. Something about that completely turns me off of SOB. I prefer 4 o'clock
    I've heard/read the rumors, but have NEVER seen any first-hand accounts of such. I used to carry this way on occasion, it's a bad idea for a number of reasons, but this isn't particularly one of them. Our spines tend to curve inward at the waist anyway, so if you lie flat on your back, you probably have room for a small gun back there (try it as an experiment) without problem.

I remember probably 25 years ago clearing ice off my concrete steps, I slipped and fell, sliding down each step with my back slammed into each step along the way. I was stunned (don't recall if I hit my head or not, I think I did one time) for a bit, but no damage! I was NOT ccw'g, but trust me there was a lot more potential for this alleged permanent injury in that event even w/o a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    It is way better to not need the gun you have on you when you take it EVERYWHERE (like I do) than to need it and not have it.
    This reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my Sgts one day when he told me that he finally convinced the Chief to put the shotguns in the cruisers (up to then "heavy artillery" was always left at the PD unless we went on a raid)! I said "why, we don't need them in our sleepy little town" and his response was "What are you going to do if you do NEED it? Go back to the station to get them?" Point well taken about "being prepared". Same goes for everyday life. If I know that going somewhere is going to endanger me or mine, I simply will NOT go there! Going prepared is for those times you thought everything was going to be OK, but something bad happened anyway.
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sawfiler View Post
    there have been several attempts to steal church offerings as some can be quite large. bad guys may see this as an easy score.
    I was just thinking all that cash on hand would have to be tempting and for some churches, easy pickings.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I carry a Glock 27 in a Galco SOB at 4:00. I also make sure that all my shirts are long. I haven't had any problems sitting and having my weapon show. You might try a different carry position and pick up a few tall T-shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree that in church you should be safe but not every BG agrees. Recently at a church near mine a man came in before service and asked to see the elders. When he was asked what he needed he said he was going to shoot them. He got arrested himself and the police did find a rifle in his car.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
    I carry a Glock 27 in a Galco SOB at 4:00. I also make sure that all my shirts are long. I haven't had any problems sitting and having my weapon show. You might try a different carry position and pick up a few tall T-shirts.
    I do it at the 3:00 position (M&P40c in a Sticky Holster IWB) and have found that there sometimes is a bit of a bulge but the way it really looks is that my shirt is just wrinkled a bit. But I try to wear longer shirts normally too (although I have to use polos at least due to my workplace's Business Casual rule).

I agree that in church you should be safe...
    Agreed. And, we should be safe everywhere but the reality of life is that we are not truly safe anywhere.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Yes, the two times I outed myself were both with SOB carry. First time in a restaurant when I got up and put my jacket on to leave, not realizing that the entire wall behind me was a mirror. Waitstaff at bar was agitated as they saw the gun (I had taken off my suit jacket after sitting down, but put it on after standing up . . . my bad!). Second time was at Town Meeting in the school auditorium, wearing a short jacket that rode up over the butt of the gun (nickeled Colt Det Spcl . . . for extra visibility ) as I got up to speak. I heard the gasps from behind me and just chuckled to myself . . . nobody said anything but if they did talk to one of the cops on duty they would have just told them "he's one of us" and that would have been the end of it. But I did learn a lesson.

Apparently you are unaware that pastors/priests/rabbis are frequently turned to for marriage counseling. And if a marriage falls apart after such counseling, you really don't think that the aggrieved party might not seek "revenge" in a twisted way? Thanks but I wouldn't want to bet my or my Wife's life on that.

I've heard/read the rumors, but have NEVER seen any first-hand accounts of such. I used to carry this way on occasion, it's a bad idea for a number of reasons, but this isn't particularly one of them. Our spines tend to curve inward at the waist anyway, so if you lie flat on your back, you probably have room for a small gun back there (try it as an experiment) without problem.

I remember probably 25 years ago clearing ice off my concrete steps, I slipped and fell, sliding down each step with my back slammed into each step along the way. I was stunned (don't recall if I hit my head or not, I think I did one time) for a bit, but no damage! I was NOT ccw'g, but trust me there was a lot more potential for this alleged permanent injury in that event even w/o a gun.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my Sgts one day when he told me that he finally convinced the Chief to put the shotguns in the cruisers (up to then "heavy artillery" was always left at the PD unless we went on a raid)! I said "why, we don't need them in our sleepy little town" and his response was "What are you going to do if you do NEED it? Go back to the station to get them?" Point well taken about "being prepared". Same goes for everyday life. If I know that going somewhere is going to endanger me or mine, I simply will NOT go there! Going prepared is for those times you thought everything was going to be OK, but something bad happened anyway.
    I thought it was illegal to carry inside a school. At least it is in okl.

Distinguished Member
    In Oregon it is not illegal for Concealed Carriers to carry in schools (re: ORS 166.370). It also is not illegal for those who do not have CHL's, but are otherwise legally allowed to have firearms, to have on school grounds PROVIDED that they are unloaded and locked inside a motor vehicle.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    It is illegal to carry inside any school in my state, including colleges.

However, there is one exception for LEOs of which I was a member of the PD when this happened, that's why I stated that if anyone complained to an officer in that auditorium they would have been told "he's one of us". The short jacket that rode up was embroidered with the town seal and "abc Police" on it (it was not a uniform jacket, just ones that the PD had made up for casual wear). Also, I was on duty directing traffic in the parking lot until such time as Town Meeting began and then under an agreement with my Chief, I changed shirts and jackets (had permission to wear dark pants instead of uniform pants) and sat down to take part in the Town Meeting.
    NRA Instructor

Why wouldn't you carry in a church? I think it was Grossman that said if you are legally allowed to carry and you decide not to, to church or anywhere else, that is your right and your decision. Just make sure to look at yourself in the mirror before you head out the door and say "BAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

...and since other church/temple/mosque shootings haven't convinced you, maybe yesterday's does? Sounds like the leader tried to tackle the gunman but was shot. Imagine if he'd had something other than the cermonial dagger on him.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcarr View Post
    We can't carry in Churches in Texas either.
    This is not correct!

By your post count and join date it is apparent that you are new to this forum.

You need to review the Texas CHL laws. It is only not allowed in Texas if the church is posted with a 30.06 sign, this should have been covered in your class.

As far as the OP, if you are only playing the risk numbers then you need not carry.

I carried a PM9 SOB for about a year, that holster became worn so I went with a Kydex and then started trying other positions. I never carry SOB now, 3:00 some of the time, 2:30 or so works good too (conceals very nice) if the weather permits I carry 4:00. My point? Try some other methods you might be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    Why not carry in a church? There's no reason to believe that a church is any safer than anywhere else
    Unfortunately, this was proven wrong yeaterday.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I wear a t shirt and a short sleeve button down (unbuttoned and untucked) to see me through the summer. Too hot for a vest this time of year.

If you are going to carry SOB, you need a shirt with long tails. Period. In my opinion, SOB is far and away the most prone method of carrying for printing. And catching the shirt tail on the grip so your gun is not so concealed. And making driving miserable. And getting caught in a hammerlock when you are trying to draw. And........
    +1 for t-shirt and a short sleeve button down shirt. I tend to buy pattern (checkered) shirts to help with hiding any printing.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlcarr View Post
    We can't carry in Churches in Texas either.
    Only if they are posted 30.06.
    The part you refer to has been superseded by the 30.06 law. You have to read on down...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar

Don't you watch the news?

Church & Temple attacks are on the rise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the OP--

Have you tried AIWB?
    It really has taken care of ALL my printing issues and it's a lot more comfortable.

-

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links