sitting down in public

This is a discussion on sitting down in public within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realized something on our usual Sunday trip to the library threw me a curve today. My girls were getting books and I was looking ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: sitting down in public

Lightbulb sitting down in public

I realized something on our usual Sunday trip to the library threw me a curve today. My girls were getting books and I was looking for a chair to wait and surf on my phone. I usually sit in the same chair weekly but today there was someone in my spot. I had on a slightly shorter than normal shirt and the only spot where I could sit with my back relatively unexposed had chairs with seperate backs instead of the solid back I usually sit in. I browsed for a minute til the girls got their books then we left.
    It's just another thing a new cc has to watch for.
    I suppose I will eventually figure out what to do when I can't get a booth at a restaurant . I carry iwb small of the back. If I have to sit in a regular chair I will reveal my weapon. Was looking at vests today with a large enough pouch for my weapon so I could transfer to that pocket if need be.
    Last edited by velo99; July 30th, 2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: content

2. Remove Ads

I wear a t shirt and a short sleeve button down (unbuttoned and untucked) to see me through the summer. Too hot for a vest this time of year.

If you are going to carry SOB, you need a shirt with long tails. Period. In my opinion, SOB is far and away the most prone method of carrying for printing. And catching the shirt tail on the grip so your gun is not so concealed. And making driving miserable. And getting caught in a hammerlock when you are trying to draw. And........
    oneshot, Once, 40Bob and 3 others like this.

That's just one more reason the SOB position is less desirable. You might want to reconsider other options.
    archer51 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Last week at church, I was asked to fill in for an absent elder in handing out the communion meal. I had to sit down on a wooden bench with the other church elders prior to passing everything out, and since I had been sitting in a cloth-backed chair in the very back row of the church, I didn't even think about my carry piece being noticed when sitting down. Well, I sat down nice and firmly on the wooden bench and it made a very loud *thud* sound as I sat and the butt of my Colt made contact with the wooden back. I felt like everyone was staring but I think only my father-in-law knew what it was, since no one else knew I was carrying. Needless to say, I will be paying much better attention to how I sit while packing.
    tricolordad likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

This is one big reason, in my opinion, that restrictions against responsible gun owners fails.

Without making this a CC vs OC debate, I feel that someone who is CCing should not have to fear any repercussions of exposing their gun. Of course I mean legal repercussions not the unavoidable joe ignorant, "why do you have a gun?" If your LEGALY carrying a gun then there should be no worry of brandishing or printing. This is why I like the idea of OC, not because I can but because if I CC I dont have to worry about being arrested or fined if my shirt rides up.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Well you could carry your gun on your side instead of your back I carry mine at about the 3:00 to 4:00 position. Works well when sitting any were and no one even see it. Of corse not sure what you carry I have a .380 body guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Last week at church, I was asked to fill in for an absent elder in handing out the communion meal. I had to sit down on a wooden bench with the other church elders prior to passing everything out, and since I had been sitting in a cloth-backed chair in the very back row of the church, I didn't even think about my carry piece being noticed when sitting down. Well, I sat down nice and firmly on the wooden bench and it made a very loud *thud* sound as I sat and the butt of my Colt made contact with the wooden back. I felt like everyone was staring but I think only my father-in-law knew what it was, since no one else knew I was carrying. Needless to say, I will be paying much better attention to how I sit while packing.
    My question is I carry as much as possible but why carry in a church?

Definitely need shirts that are long enough no matter where you carry. I don't know if I could carry in that position though, heard about people falling on their backs and breaking them because there was a hunk of metal between the floor and their spine...sounds scary

Why not carry in a church? There's no reason to believe that a church is any safer than anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    I realized something on our usual Sunday trip to the library threw me a curve today. My girls were getting books and I was looking for a chair to wait and surf on my phone. I usually sit in the same chair weekly but today there was someone in my spot. I had on a slightly shorter than normal shirt and the only spot where I could sit with my back relatively unexposed had chairs with seperate backs instead of the solid back I usually sit in. I browsed for a minute til the girls got their books then we left.
    It's just another thing a new cc has to watch for.
    I suppose I will eventually figure out what to do when I can't get a booth at a restaurant . I carry iwb small of the back. If I have to sit in a regular chair I will reveal my weapon. Was looking at vests today with a large enough pouch for my weapon so I could transfer to that pocket if need be.
    Stop wearing shirts that are too short for you to sit in ANY seat that might be available. If you are new to carry, you may not have heard the rule, Dress around the gun. Carry is a way of life, not just a small addition to your normal lifestyle. Dress AROUND the gun. That means dressing in such a manner that you can sit in any chair that might be available, or do anything that you may be required to do without exposing the gun or making it known to others that you are armed.

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post

Florida church shooting suspect had killed a previous wife - latimes.com

Church Shooting Leaves Pastor Injured, But One Dead | EURweb

Texas Church Shooting: 1 Dead at Northpointe Baptist Church | NowPublic News Coverage

These are just a few of the many, many shootings in churches. Scum bags see churches as easy targets. If you are going to carry, carry all the time. Bad things can and do happen everywhere and any time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    Why not carry in a church? There's no reason to believe that a church is any safer than anywhere else
    Yea true but the likely hood of a bad guy coming into a church and shooting it up is far less then someone else. Plus like the church I go to there is already cops there so I have not need to carry in there.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    If you are going to carry SOB, you need a shirt with long tails. Period.
    Full coverage is the first criteria for a covering garment, true. Whether it's SOB, IWB, 4 o'clock, appendix carry ...

Of course, I have yet to find a decent way of avoiding the "clunk" when sitting down into bench-style seating, short of a cautious and deliberate style of easing into a seat. I've had it occur at a restaurant table, church pew, park bench and elsewhere. Always feels like everyone within hearing distance is looking for the source of the noise. Such is life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    I try to carry everywhere I can. Also, there was a shooting in a church in Colorado a few months ago that was ended by someone CC'ing. Better safe than sorry. I wish houses of worship were immune to evil.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I would change the sob carry for one it slow to draw and your shirt could get hung up on your pistol. Another reason is if you fall on your rear you will dislocate your back and give yourself spinal damage

VIP Member
    JDlewis:

Just do a quick Google search of "shootings in churches", and you'll see why people carry in church.

As far as the SOB carry, if you choose to carry in that position, try finding a holster that allows using a palm-out draw, similar to a cross-draw holster. You'll be able to draw much easier, faster and more comfortably.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; July 30th, 2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: more
    TN_Mike and dukalmighty like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links