Damn Touchy-Feely

This is a discussion on Damn Touchy-Feely within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got made for the 1st time. I was sitting in my usual place in the back pew when a buddy of mine who is mostly ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damn Touchy-Feely

Damn Touchy-Feely

Got made for the 1st time. I was sitting in my usual place in the back pew when a buddy of mine who is mostly quadraplegic dropped his hymnal and couldn't reach it, so I got up walked around and was standing in the back of the church holding the hymnal for both of us and another church member is walking by and I see him reaching to grab my back as he goes by and I'm holding this hymnal with both hands in front of my buddy in the wheel chair. The church member passing literally grabbed my P-35 and his hand kinda got hung up on it. He was shocked I could tell. It was the 1st time I had to explain it to anyone. (at the church picnic later that afternoon)You can plan for almost anything, but touchy-feely people will eventually get you!
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

2. Remove Ads

One question

Why did you not break his wrist on the spot? Anyone who touches or makes a move that even looks like he is going to grab my gun will get his hand moved rather abruptly. Being in church would make no difference. Glad to see things turned out OK though

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Whoever started this idea hugging and physical contact between men should be roughly shaken.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Sometimes it happens like that. Just accept it and move on.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

I sympathize

I know what you mean. It seems that everybody in church wants to hug you. I greatly prefer hand shaking myself, but it is hard to escape the huggers and touchers, who don't ask permission first.

Maybe ankle carry of a small gun is the solution? Any belt or shoulder carry is not safe with huggers around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Whoever started this idea hugging and physical contact between men should be roughly shaken.
    Exactly.

I know the feeling my father in law is a hugger and an Anti. Whenever he's around I switch from my Warthog to a full sized 1911. I'll break him of his habit sooner or later.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Grab for my XD and you will leave with a STUMP, It don't matter WHERE I am.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    My wife and I are not the social type, so this is a problem I don't have to worry about too much, but sometimes it is in the back of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cpmiv View Post
    Exactly.

I know the feeling my father in law is a hugger and an Anti.
    I feel for you CPMIV, a FIL and an anti, that's a lot to live with.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Pocket carry anyone? With a good pocket holster of course.
    I go to a church with plenty of touchy feely folks, and my wifes whole family is that way. Haven't yet, had one of them stick their hands in my pocket.

It seems to me that MS is the only state where firearms are prohibited in a place of worship, even for an off duty LEO.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathancase View Post
    It seems to me that MS is the only state where firearms are prohibited in a place of worship, even for an off duty LEO.
    Sorry,

A No no here in VA too.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I normally leave my pistol in the car at church, and yes, I know you never know what can happend. Anyway, when I do decide to carry inside the church I make sure it is a small pistol like my .38 snub. Secondly, always hug low with hand around their waist, they will hug high naturally and you will never have a problem. Good Luck...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Some people need to chill.

Responses to the effect of assaulting someone who touches you are very off base and would wind up with you in jail. No court is going to find you innocent of assault after breaking the wrist of a touchy feely guy who happened to hug or touch you with no obvious malice. Period.

We need to judge intent when utilizing deadly force, the same is true of less than deadly force. The "hugger's" intent is not to cause harm and a violent reaction is unwarranted.

There are touchy feely people out there. They should be put in their place verbally if needed but physical violence is NOT an acceptable solution to the non-malice driven contact. We just need to be aware of such people and postion ourselves accordingly.

The one touchy feely contact I had was with my mom's boyfriend. He is a big harmless guy who is fairly touchy and emotional. Nice enough guy, good to my mom, and she loves him. While getting stuff out of the hatchback at a family get together he put his hand right on top of my 1911 under my Hawaiin shirt. I blew off the contact entirely and nothing ever came of it.

To many people the concept that someone could have a firearm is so alien that given any cause to doubt it they will. As Eddie Murphy said about being caught with another woman. Deny Deny Deny (should you choose not to engage in a 2A discussion). How are they to know you do not have some medical device strapped to you that you would rather not discuss? Blow off the contact and odds are it will resolve itself. In the end they touched you without invitation so let them figure it out for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Some people need to chill.
    I would agree with that. I would also note that even very touchy-feely people aren't toucy-feely with me. There is "Gentlemanly", and there is "Approachable". I prefer the former to the latter. If a relatively "light" acquaintance feels that comfortable in groping you, what kind of vibe do you give off- do you look like "food"? Might be something to think seriously on...........

I guess I'm lucky in the fact that I don't run into too many touchy feely type people. Maybe I'm just not cuddly enough.

Although, if the situation does happen, I don't plan on snapping somone's arm off or beating the crap out of them. I think that may be a bit over the top.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links