Concealed carry / home defense....with children?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry / home defense....with children? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New member here. I am in the process of getting my FL ccw license and would like to start carrying. I have been raised around ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Concealed carry / home defense....with children?

Red face Concealed carry / home defense....with children?

New member here. I am in the process of getting my FL ccw license and would like to start carrying. I have been raised around guns and was trained at an early age about how to safely, and only touch when my father permitted.

That being said, I have a 5 & 3 year old. I talk to them about gun safety every time I handle a gun and re-iterate often. We have begun shooting bb guns. I was taught that you need to instill safety first, then learn proper operation, prior to learn to shoot. I was never taught how to talk to my kids/what to tell them/not tell them. One concern is that if I have a concealed pistol on, and my kids give me a hug or run to jump on me as I come into the door, that either something could happen to the gun, or in a public setting they might alert others that I am carrying....

I have considered an ankle holster as I wear boots to help with this scenario, but I question the comfort.....

I have read tons of other articles about everything else. If anyone has some info to share(or is this a sticky??) that would be huge.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the "family" !
    My kids are now in their late 20's / early 30's and having kids of their own, so it's been a while, but when they were little I generally carried either a Dan Wesson .357 or a 9mm Browning Hi-Power. The kids were pretty much just used to seeing me carry and never made a big deal out of it. I gave them repeated safety/not-a-toy/etc lectures and sacrificed a number of ripe melons to demonstrate the destructive power of a firearm. They understood from a very young age that guns are not toys. When curiosity prevailed and they wanted to handle the guns, we discussed the basic rules of safety and when they could articulate an understanding of those rules they were allowed to go hands-on, being very clear that this would only be allowed with my direct supervision.
    In those days I wore a suit every day so concealed carriage was easy. I opted for 70% shoulder rig, 30% OWB at 3:30 - never any problems with hugs :)
    mprp likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Good question! I get nervous when my kids want to sit on my lap when we are out and I am front pocket carrying. This is one of the reasons I am switching to IWB

I carry daily with 5 kids, my youngest is now 5 and about waist high. With a good quality holster, that covers the trigger, I have no concerns about anything happening with the gun while it's on me as far as it going off or coming out of the holster. I carry IWB right behind my hip in a Crossbreed subertuck. Now as far as having him expose it, that is something that could happen, although it hasn't yet. Most of the shirts I wear I keep long enough that if my shirt creeps a little, I'm still covered. The law down here is written that if it is briefly shown accidentally, you're ok, but to be honest I don't want to have to deal with that. I don't want a freak out by a stranger or having an officer called, even if it would work out in the end.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

I do spend quite a bit of time teaching them safety basics. My gun is only EVER in my holster or in my safe. The NRA has a program for young kids Eddie Eagle I believe it's called, that's supposed to be GREAT for teaching safety although I haven't used it yet.
    mel likes this.

Im with Lish. CBST is how I carry my G26. While your ankle carry with boots seems good I have never found a combination that was comfortable, not to mention it's very slow and cumbersome to draw if needed.

A good holster is KEY. One that covers the entire trigger well is ideal. I have 3 kids (5, 1.5yrs, & 5mo). I play with my oldest (my son) a lot while carrying. We run around the yard playing soccer and football... no worries at all. As far as teaching them, my girls are too young yet, but my son is old enough to ask questions, so we've had the talk (about not talking about daddy carrying a gun while we're in public). Training: my little man started off with a nerf gun at 3.5yrs old. He will be graduating to an airsoft gun in a few months (prob an AR replica that way he can shoot his gun thats just like daddy's!). I am of the camp that I don't care how OLD they are, I care how MATURE they are. I don't care if my son was 9, if he wasn't mature enough, he wouldn't have anything more than a nerf gun. When your kids are mature enough to handle the gun in a responsible way, that's when you get them a BB or airsoft gun. And when they move up to a .22LR firearm. Don't rush them, but be their primary source for information - kids are very curious. My son already helps me clean my M&P (although he never handles the gun when its fully assembled - even unloaded, and no, he doesn't handle my Hoppe's # 9 - he holds parts for me and wipes them down with my cleaning cloth.). That's my $.02.

OpJ

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Besides what you teach them, I would recommend picking up a copy of the NRA Eddie Eagle video to watch and go over with your kids. They are never too young to learn safety, and to stay away from guns, unless with an adult and what to do it they come across one when out.
    BkCo1 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you all for the input. I will definitly check into Eddie Eagle. With as many CCW permits issued in FL, I figured that there were some good sources for this info out there....

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum.

The approach we took with our now 9 year old is simply not to hide it from him. He might see me walking around the house in the morning before I put my shirt on and see my gun. We put them on every morning and take them off every evening. If I am cleaning them, I isn't hidden from him. He has been going to the range with us since before he could walk.

The fact that we don't "hide" guns from him he has not curiosity about them. They are no different than a pair of shoes or belt or anything else you would wear daily.

That being said, they are always either locked up or in a good holster on our person. Never left unattended when loaded. And the Eddie Eagle booklets are great teaching tools.
    tcox4freedom, kerberos and mprp like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Welcome aboard OneSilverT. To add to what farronwolf has said, when my older kids were younger and now for my 10 year old, I also have to get off my lazy butt, open the safe and show them whenever they wanted to see them or had/have a question. I have never said, "No" when they became curious and asked. That IS what I am here for. The guns have never been a secret from our kids. I've noticed that after a few times of going through this, the curiosity became less and they were that much more educated. They are all fully aware of the destructive power of firearms and I am confident that with the incremental safe handling at home and range time, my kids will know and avoid any mishandling of firearms that they come across when I'm not around.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Check here and scroll down to kids and guns. Great site.

Cornered Cat - Table Of Contents

Get a good holster that covers the trigger and you should be fine. In reality, the worst thing that will probably happen is one of your kids will bang their head on the grip when they come up to hug you. My youngest still does occasionally and I'm usually open carrying.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    No matter what anyone says about 3 or 5 year olds or even older children, they are not ready to fully comprehend the what a firearm is all about. They may listen to what you say and mimic what your tell them, every one of you will swear to me that your child is the genius here, and every one of you will tell me about the time you were 5 and were out there with your dad and his firearm, but if you make a mistake, you will find out differently---just because you took the time to talk to them and show them and remember your glory days with your dad--they are still 3 years old and 5 years old for heavens sake. The above advice in the replies is good but do not take anything---anything---for granted in any way shape or form whether the firearm is on you or not.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    No matter what anyone says about 3 or 5 year olds or even older children, they are not ready to fully comprehend the what a firearm is all about. They may listen to what you say and mimic what your tell them, every one of you will swear to me that your child is the genius here, and every one of you will tell me about the time you were 5 and were out there with your dad and his firearm, but if you make a mistake, you will find out differently---just because you took the time to talk to them and show them and remember your glory days with your dad--they are still 3 years old and 5 years old for heavens sake. The above advice in the replies is good but do not take anything---anything---for granted in any way shape or form whether the firearm is on you or not.
    My thoughts exactly.

As with everything else related to firearms...dont EVER let yourself get too comfortable as that is when mistakes happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

As with everything else related to firearms...dont EVER let yourself get too comfortable as that is when mistakes happen.
    There's a break point in this discussing this topic that irks me...

*tongue in cheek on*

As with everything else related to automobiles... dont EVER let yourself get too comfortable as that is when mistakes happen...

*tongue in cheek off*

Not that your point is invalid, quite the contrary; there are MANY more situations other than being around firearms that are as dangerous if not more for children.

We have just become so accustomed to accepting some risks as normal and blowing others way out of proportion IMHO.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

CJM
    Besides the "Don't touch guns if Daddy isn't around...If you see a gun don't touch it and tell an adult right away..." conversations, I had the conversation with my oldest who is now 6, probably when she was 3 or 4 about that fact I carry a gun. I told her that even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with me carrying a gun, that I still don't want people to know outside of her and her Mommy. She has never once mentioned it in public or around other people, even when other little kids are talking about "my daddy has a huge gun/bazooka/rocket launcher", she still doesn't say a word.

As far as playing with my kids while packin', I do it all the time. If worn in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard completely and not some slide or barrel mounted clip draw contraption, you'll be fine. I often carry inside my home and don't unholster till bed time. The safe I keep my handgun in is hidden, and unaccessable until she's at least 10-12 when she will be tall enough to reach it. If my gun isn't in the safe, it's in the holster on my hip.

I do a lot of dry fire, mag changes, and drawing from concealment drills at home, 1. Because that way I can use my time at the range to focus on shooting. 2. It allows me to improve upon sight alignment, trigger control, and reloads. 3. Because I enjoy it. I do all of it when my kids are asleep, or not at home. At their ages (6 years old and 2 years old) they wouldn't be able to comprehend what dry fire drills etc are all about, they would only see daddy playing with his gun, which is something I don't want them to see as ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links