Take a Look, Surprising: "Analysis: Fewer U.S. Gun Owners Own More Guns"

This is a discussion on Take a Look, Surprising: "Analysis: Fewer U.S. Gun Owners Own More Guns" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Analysis: Fewer U.S. Gun Owners Own More Guns" Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com Seems like there are more shooters to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Take a Look, Surprising: "Analysis: Fewer U.S. Gun Owners Own More Guns"

Take a Look, Surprising: "Analysis: Fewer U.S. Gun Owners Own More Guns"

"Analysis: Fewer U.S. Gun Owners Own More Guns"

Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com

Seems like there are more shooters to me, I know our Permit Office is stacked up, but these conclusions seem to be from reliable sources...

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

2. Remove Ads

Surveys, analysis', etc., are at best far from reliable. Mostly they are self serving. On the flip side I have read that gun sale are at an all time high. Also have read that more and more women are purchasing guns then ever before. Best to take these things with a grain of salt.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Findings are suspicious. Every LGS I know of has had fantastic sales years since Obama came into office. Not bad for an economy as screwed up as ours. Concealed carry permits are increasing rapidly everywhere. It doesn't follow that there are fewer of us gun owners at all. It looks to me like there are a heck of a lot more of us these days and growing in number every day. It is true that some of us have more than one firearm (some of us have a lot more), but there is simply no way that we are growing fewer in number. I don't really know why CNN took this type of stance on gun ownership. If they are trying to drive some kind of anti-gun point, then obvious misrepresentation of simple facts doesn't seem like a smart way to do it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    Findings are suspicious. Every LGS I know of has had fantastic sales years since Obama came into office. Not bad for an economy as screwed up as ours. Concealed carry permits are increasing rapidly everywhere. It doesn't follow that there are fewer of us gun owners at all. It looks to me like there are a heck of a lot more of us these days and growing in number every day. It is true that some of us have more than one firearm (some of us have a lot more), but there is simply no way that we are growing fewer in number. I don't really know why CNN took this type of stance on gun ownership. If they are trying to drive some kind of anti-gun point, then obvious misrepresentation of simple facts doesn't seem like a smart way to do it.
    Yeah, that's my impression too, one gun store here is so crowded most of the time there's no place to park, and never before did I see a line of people signing into my range, for awhile it was handling so many I'd get there and there and there was no room for me. At the Permit Office last time I was there there's no more space for applications in the filing cabinets so there's piles of them sitting on top. There MUST be many more shooters.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Thats an interesting piece. Most of us have more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    Numbers and stats are always used the way a person wants to use them. Playing devils advocate with your post:
    Every LGS I know of has had fantastic sales years since Obama came into office. Not bad for an economy as screwed up as ours.
    Supports the fact that there are more guns being purchased...not necessarily by more people. I myself 6 guns this year.

Concealed carry permits are increasing rapidly everywhere.
    That is true but many of these are being sought by existing gun owners. I know of many (20+) gun owners in the last year got their permits.

It is true that some of us have more than one firearm (some of us have a lot more), but there is simply no way that we are growing fewer in number.
    You are totally guessing on that part. (as am I) You would be surprised at the amount of folks out there own 10 or 20 or 30 plus guns. In my circle of friends each of us own at least 10 guns. Granted, I am a collector (40+). But just say the average CC'er might have his EDC, BUG, rifle, and maybe a shotgun for HD. That is 4-5. Add in he hunts and that is 1-3 more. I think the amount of gun owners is going up, but you can't base that on the number of firearms being purchased.

MJK
    " The number of households owning guns has declined from almost 50% in 1973 to just over 32% in 2010, according to a 2011 study produced by The University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center. The number of gun owners has gone down almost 10% over the same period, the report found."

Notice the discrepancy above? It's one of many in the article.

I use advanced statistical methods daily in my line of work and this article is not to be taken seriously. For instance in the parsgrsph above they refer to the number of owners yet report the value as a percentage. This is a common trick sometimes used to portray a situation different than reality.

Also notice the lack of detail in citations and there is absolutely no detail regarding input data or methodology.

Pitiful.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Surveys, analysis', etc., are at best far from reliable. Mostly they are self serving. On the flip side I have read that gun sale are at an all time high. Also have read that more and more women are purchasing guns then ever before. Best to take these things with a grain of salt.
    This "analysis" is from CNN---nough said. When their lips move, you know the truth is not there.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    This "analysis" is from CNN---nough said. When their lips move, you know the truth is not there.

Wurd...

CNN = Communist News Network...maybe they will rename themselves TASS if the SIC wins again in Nov.

C'mon you guys? With quotes like this how can the article be nonsense?

"If you use a 12-gauge shotgun to shoot a rabbit, the rabbit won't exist after you shoot it," Lizotte said.

Looks like they've done their homework to me. It must all be true then.
    JoJoGunn and atctimmy like this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Mark Twain said it best:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    Rock and Glock and XDshooter like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I saw an article where Ruger is so swamped they aren't taking any new orders til they get the back log cleared up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    " The number of households owning guns has declined from almost 50% in 1973 to just over 32% in 2010, according to a 2011 study produced by The University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center. The number of gun owners has gone down almost 10% over the same period, the report found."

Notice the discrepancy above? It's one of many in the article.

I use advanced statistical methods daily in my line of work and this article is not to be taken seriously. For instance in the parsgrsph above they refer to the number of owners yet report the value as a percentage. This is a common trick sometimes used to portray a situation different than reality.

Also notice the lack of detail in citations and there is absolutely no detail regarding input data or methodology.

Pitiful.
    I agree that there are discrepancies in the article. The specific one you point out is of some interest, however.

There is an 18% decrease in households with guns. Yet, there is only a 10% decline in people who own guns. How is that possible?

...If...

... there is a decline in households with guns, it is quite possible that older generations of families who used to have traditions of hunting quite a bit, are in decline. It is also quite possible that since that is the case, that offspring who move out of the family home no longer purchase guns of their own, for hunting or any other purpose. There are figures from the U.S. dept of fish and wildlife that bear this out... hunting and fishing licenses issued nationwide are in decline. 12-15%

There could be other contributing factors to the decline in gun owners. Families are not as large... If there are fewer patriarchies that uphold the tradition of hunting and fishing, and the progeny of the patriarchies that have those traditions of hunting and fishing are fewer... you end up with fewer gun owners... and fewer households with guns.

That said, I'm doing my part to proselytize gun ownership for self defense, and can name 3 people I have brought into the fold...
    suntzu likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Look who did the study and where they got their analysis...biased is not a strong enough word...
    joker1 likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I did like the last paragraph a lot!

Sugarmann agreed. "There is a myth pushed by the gun industry, the NRA and the trade associations for gun makers that gun ownership is up," he said. "[That] there are more gun owners, when the opposite is true, gun ownership is declining."
    Gun ownership is declining? Why aren't all the gun companies out of bidness instead of making money hand over fist?

One thing I'll give the NRA, they don't suffer idiots... and they need not reply to bogus studies like this... It only makes them look like gun mongers when anyone with one tittle of sense can see the "facts" presented aren't really supported..

With the possible exception of explanation I gave above for a decline in households with guns.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links