Keeping a firearm in a vehicle

This is a discussion on Keeping a firearm in a vehicle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My husband has always known that his work place does not allow firearms inside, but he was informed today that they do not allow firearms ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Keeping a firearm in a vehicle

Keeping a firearm in a vehicle

My husband has always known that his work place does not allow firearms inside, but he was informed today that they do not allow firearms to be stored in vehicles either, and they reserve the right to search his vehicle at any time. Is this legal in the state of Ohio? I was always under the impression that a vehicle is personal property, and my husband has the right to store his firearm in his vehicle during work hours. He has a safe bolted down in the trunk, and I'm fairly certain that he removes the magazine from the firearm as an extra precaution before leaving it in the car. I'm just appalled by his work place's stance on this! Your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Is he a government worker or does he work at a corrections facility?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Sometimes there is a consent to search clause buried in an employees initial paperwork that some companies require to be signed prior to employment. Might want to check this first.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

If he parks on private property in a secure area I do believe they have the right to search any vehicle but not in an open parking area

Can he park nearby, not on their property. Several states have ruled that an employer may not restrict guns in parking lots but I don't know if Ohio is one of them. Sucks to have to work for such an idiot place.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Don't fell bad my job is the same was can can't have firearms in vehicle or on you. I work for the railroad. I live in okl. So there is a lot of jobs out there that are like that. I don't even bother taking my job to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a company makes a point to tell you that you cannot have firearms in your vehicle and they reserve the right to search vehicles, they have something on their mind. I'm willing to bet that a good dog can alert on the vehicle that has a firearm inside. Maybe not, but if I valued my job I wouldn't be willing to risk it. I would either leave the gun at home or find a way to park the vehicle off their property.
    joker1 and jem102 like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

NO discussions of, or admissions to, illegal acts past, present or future!

I am the GHOST of A Christmas Carol, BUT I visit folks who break Forum Rules.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/g...s-Booklet.aspx

Private Property and the Workplace

"Under the law, private employers may, but are not required to, prohibit the presence of firearms on their property or in motor vehicles owned by the employer. You should make yourself aware of your employer’s policies before you go to work with a handgun."

sgb
    You can not be forced to consent to a search of your vehicle, however if you refuse do not be surprised when the company terminates you.
    mlr1m likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by LaDanah26 View Post
    My husband has always known that his work place does not allow firearms inside, but he was informed today that they do not allow firearms to be stored in vehicles either, and they reserve the right to search his vehicle at any time. Is this legal in the state of Ohio? I was always under the impression that a vehicle is personal property, and my husband has the right to store his firearm in his vehicle during work hours. He has a safe bolted down in the trunk, and I'm fairly certain that he removes the magazine from the firearm as an extra precaution before leaving it in the car. I'm just appalled by his work place's stance on this! Your thoughts?
    Can you post the exact wording of the policy? I've seen one that said, "unless permitted by applicable state laws", which might give him the exception he wants assuming he has a CCW permit.

Administrator
    Is it illegal? For the most part, No... but it does depend on a few factors. Assuming your husband works for a private company the worst thing that can happen is the loss of his job; but thats pretty bad given the economy.
    Rock and Glock and archer51 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by LaDanah26 View Post
    My thoughts? You opened a can of worms (sorry....first impression).
    Thing is.........I've been carrying actively for 12 years now. In my profession, I move quite a bit.....sometimes working for several employers/contractors in a year's time, sometimes going along 3-5 years with one company/contractor. Most of the companies I've worked for have a corporate policy regarding firearms on their property. Now......I respect all of those policies as far as carrying a weapon inside the facility. In my vehicle.....in their parking lot.....open to the public.......I personally take my risk as I see fit. On a former job, I drove 120 miles round trip. In my view, there is no way that my employer could deny my rights to have access to my concealed carry going to and from work. Once I get to work.....what am I supposed to do with it? The corporate vehicle search? Well.........I figure this only comes into play if they suspect an employee of stealing company property. I've never actually heard of outright vehicle inspections being conducted by a corporation on company property simply in search of company policy violations......I don't think they have a right to do so without a search warrant, and they surely don't have the rights to open your vehicle without your permission since your vehicle is private property on (public or private property). In my opinion.....it's just another threat that a corporate entity feels like they can hold over your head or threaten you with (especially if it's a right to work state). I personally make it a point to abide by all of my state's laws pertaining to CC. Company policies sometimes seem to conflict with those laws, and although the parking lot at work may be private property and at the discretion of the owner......there are still way too many questions to be answered to as well as abiding by the laws as set forth. If my corporate office is in Indiana, and my place of employment is here in Arkansas....how does it all play out? Again.......parking lot accessible to the public plays a key role.......if it's a secured environment by the company, then once you are in the parking lot or inside the building, then the company should in essence (and by telling you not to protect yourself)....be responsible for your protection while on their property. Not many companies are willing to sign a waiver on your behalf that you are fully protected from harm while on their property. Now...take that as you will. You might have noticed this sort of thing gets me ticked off. While my state laws remain the same as they have for a number of years on the subject, a neighboring state (Okla) has passed laws that respect CC by employees on company property. To what extent I'm not sure. Thing is.....while I adhere to the laws, I'm not putting myself at risk due to company policy, but respect it to the extent it's viable. I don't need to go to added expense of buying a safe to put in my vehicle for firearm storage. My vehicle is locked and alarmed. If my property is stolen while on company property......will the company compensate me for my loss? It's a two way street the way I see things. That's why I figure most companies will never exercise corporate policy in searching a vehicle without a good and reasonable cause. It infringes on your rights, and they can't break into your vehicle...otherwise they would be breaking the law. Your consent to search is the only thing keeping them at bay with their intent of your ultimate submission to what they think they can get over on you. I've just about had enough of the dominance thing these days. You work to live. In my case.....there's another employer down the road that's been running a want ad for a long time. If I get fired for a violation of corporate policy when I had every right under state law....then I won't be unemployed while I'm seeking the best legal council available to sue the company for anything and everything I can. Employers don't threaten me in any way because I have threats of my own to lay down if things come to that. I figure most of them (under intelligent supervision or human resources) know this and they'll never dare to push the issue. Most company policies regarding this issue are made for the submissive. Just like our own government holds aimless threats over our heads day in and day out. One of these days, every person will be themselves.......no worries and no threats to what they know in their heart to be right and just. I don't play the game although I watch in waiting for the game to be over.

By the way......bless you for posting on behalf of your husband. I'm sure this affects both of you and you care. My best advice is to always have peace of mind. Without it.....we're subject to the powers that be. Even those powers that have no rights to overpower us. I hope I've given you enough ammunition to make your own decisions pertaining to your question or dilemma. This is how I live every day....and I've been where you are now...believe me. One of these days.....simply living and surviving won't be so difficult as it is now. Trust me on this. You folks PM me any time. I'm not a lawyer, and don't know your state laws. I never charge for opinions. Bless you both and may you find peace tomorrow.
    Yes....I violate company policy every day I'm at work. I don't play the game like I said.

VIP Member
    If there is someplace off property to park, that is what I would recommend.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links