VA CWP Not Honored in GA

This is a discussion on VA CWP Not Honored in GA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I have a question regarding the subject of this post. I live in Virginia and have family in Atlanta Georgia. Problem I have is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: VA CWP Not Honored in GA

VA CWP Not Honored in GA

So, I have a question regarding the subject of this post. I live in Virginia and have family in Atlanta Georgia. Problem I have is that Georgia does NOT honor my VA CWP. Would I be able to use my out of state CWP from TN in GA? (GA honors TN permits and TN will allow me to get an out of state permit).

2. Remove Ads

According to Handgunlaw.us, GA honors a TN permit...IF you can obtain a non-resident TN permit, being a VA resident, then it appears you should be allowed to use the TN permit for GA carry. JMO
    aznav likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

By the way, I recently stumbled upon handgunlaw.us and holy cow that is a great site. It aggregates MOST of the important information one needs concerning states handgun and carry laws.

To your post, that is exactly what I was wondering. I suppose the best way to find out would be to call the Sheriff's dept in GA.

I know that Georgia honors non-resident Utah permits. That's a very popular permit for SC residents in order to get bordering GA covered.

I didn't realize TN had a non-resident permit available.

For TN you (1) have to live in another state but work in TN more than 30 hours a week or (2) Have a valid permit in a state that as reciprocity with TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    IIRC Georgia does NOT honor non-res permits. Unfortunately I do not currently have a link, but I did look this up back in December when we drove to FL and back.
    Georgia Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor. Florida and SC however only honor Resident permits.

Sources:

Last edited by mcbridebr; August 2nd, 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by mcbridebr View Post
    For TN you (1) have to live in another state but work in TN more than 30 hours a week or (2) Have a valid permit in a state that as reciprocity with TN.
    Just sent away for my Utah non resident permit. Gotta look up TN and try and figure out why that one isn't a more popular permit for South Carolinians. They have reciprocity with SC and appear to cover all the same states plus a couple extra.

Maybe the requirements are tougher or the price is much higher.

[EDIT] If you have a link to a TN government site showing requirements, I'd appreciate it. Everything I can find says they aren't issuing non-resident permits.

Try handgunlaw.us

Best source would be to call their clerk or courts. I live on VA side of Bristol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Poke around here....

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml

Don't see anything regarding a non-resident permit. Looks like handgunlaw.us is mixing up the requirements. At least to me, it looks like the 6 month ... and 30 hours of work a week ... language comes from the requirement Tennessee has that if you meet those criteria, you must obtain your Tennessee CWP instead of continuing to rely on your out of state permit (from a state which has reciprocity).

Yeah its murky. Best bet would be to call the clerk of courts tomorrow.

If it turns out they don't, check out the Utah non resident permit. 4 hour general firearm safety course requirement with no range test and no exam required - and a requirement that you have your home state's permit. Probably plenty of places in VA offering their course.

You'll have everything covered that TN would have except for KS, NM and NV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    IIRC Georgia does NOT honor non-res permits. Unfortunately I do not currently have a link, but I did look this up back in December when we drove to FL and back.
    Please provide a reference for your post>

In reading Georgia reciprocity, it APPEARS they do.. Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity | Georgia Department of Public Safety
    goldshellback likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have always used a New Hampshire non resident or PA for Georgia. However NH went from $20 - $100 and PA you must apply in person. Both suck!

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    If it turns out they don't, check out the Utah non resident permit. 4 hour general firearm safety course requirement with no range test and no exam required - and a requirement that you have your home state's permit. Probably plenty of places in VA offering their course.

You'll have everything covered that TN would have except for KS, NM and NV.
    How much does Utah charge for the non res permit?

In VA you take a one hour online course, 20 question exam and pay $90.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links