On duty jframe concealment?

This is a discussion on On duty jframe concealment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting, thanks. Originally Posted by INccwchris Arson investigators do everything cops do. They are detectives, they do have arrest powers, and they do have to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: On duty jframe concealment?

Interesting, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Arson investigators do everything cops do. They are detectives, they do have arrest powers, and they do have to fight with, contain, and arrest violent individuals. So the short answer is because an arson investigator is a cop in a firemans uniform.

2. Remove Ads

I arrange the gear on my duty belt so I can access by BUG in my pocket. I very much like being able to casually have a firing grip on the gun, without the person I am talking to suspect a thing. If you have to, you can have a tailor deepen the pocket a bit.

Put your cell phone on a phone belt holster, and that will free up one of your front pockets. Or, hang your keys on a carabiner.
    GunGeezer likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Not sure, if it will work but.
    A crossbreed supertuck is an iwb holster that you can tuck in your shirt while wearing. Agai.
    N your belt rig may prevent it but they are a great product with great customer service. Only issue.
    They usually take 4+ weeks to receive.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

It will also allow you, possibly to add a speedloader on your belt for the bug. I have started pocket carrying which I am not fond of and see you don't prefer eaither, but.+1 on a belt holster for the cell phone AND caribiner for your keys. Thats what i do to free up a pocket. Let us know what you try.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    An IWB isn't gonna work with a duty belt.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I've been carrying my BUG in a Galco Ankle Glove for about 11 years now. At first it was a Glock 27 but for the past 5-6 years it's been a S&W 642. Another ankle holster that gets good reviews is the Renegade.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'm also from a jurisdiction where Fire Marshals (arson investigators) enjoy police powers, and are responsible for investigating arson crimes, arresting the offerders, and testifying in court. Arson IMO is a very very high stakes game. Often involving big money and very long sentences... even to the death penalty. Fire Marshals are not just firemen with gun's.

I'm curious that your made to work in uniform. That must be tough working a scene. How do you ever do stake outs?, or tails?

Anyway Every fire marshal I worked with always carried a second gun as did the regular cops. I'd recomend staying away from an ankle holster. They are notoriously slow on the draw, and expose the firearm to all manner of water, salt, sand, dirt, dust... what ever environment your walking in. The guys I worked with carried turn out gear in the trunk of their dept car.... to wear at a scene... I cant see wearing turn out boots or bunker gear over an ankle holster.

Most of my cxareer was spent working plain clothes of one kind or another. Until I started wearing a vest every day I carried a J frame in an inside the pants holster. After I started wearing the vest I carried exclusively in a vest strap holster. It takes a little getting used to... but worked out fine for me.
    Our dept. requires us in uniform for our shift work. We are on shift the same as fire and ems, 24 on 72 off. However; we are called in and rotated out on an on call basis outside of shift work, to respond to suspicious fires. We do investigate outside of shift in plain clothes or details requiring covert observations etc. We do also carry bunker gear in our squads, I do not carry my duty belt or any firearm into a foreground scene. There are usually police/sheriff on scene and too much heat for my comfort with ammunition.

I like ALOT of these suggestions and will be ordering a few devices to test and find my favorite. Thanks I will keep you posted.

In cold weather wearing jackets we were required to keep the jacket fastened all the way up. Gun belt & gun butt were completely covered. Stupid yes, but what was required anytime supervisors were around or a picture may be taken. So I took to carrying a Model 49 J frame in my coat pocket and just had it in my hand whenever I stopped a car or answered a call. Warmer weather I kept a High Standard .22 mag derringer in my RF pocket when we used crossdraw, then LF pocket when we moved over to strong side carry. DAO and no hammers was my rule.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

back in 1990 i pickup an upside down ankle holster from blackhawk. it rides high on the leg, above the boot and works well. holds the gun and does not fall down and/or off. easy to get to the gun. i don't know if they still make it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

+1 for Smartcarry.

pro- comfortable enough for 24hr carry, very deep concealment, 3 sizes to choose (j-frame= small size), washable,deluxe will hold speed strips and has a money pouch.

con- slow to draw or worse unable to draw with duty belt on, reholster is difficult as well.

I love mine with a 340pd and 8 round speed strip. However tight pants or belt make for a difficult to impossible draw.

Since you're working dirty, hard to access crime scenes perhaps you can lobby administration to allow different uniform pants, something a bit more rugged with cargo pockets. I wear 5.11s that have two inner pockets sewn to the pant leg inside the cargo pockets. My jframe BUG fits perfectly in the foward inner pocket and the cargo pocket flap is held in place with velcro. I carry it on my weak side. It keeps the gun well concealed but readily accessible and I've never had any issues with it coming loose or moving around.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The new Smart Phones (i-phones,Androids,etc.) demand a larger carrying case that can easily hold a P3AT and I even am able to carry spare mags. in older style folding phone holsters. With a duty-belt, I don't see that another small carrying device would be noticed. There are several commercially made packs that will hold a sub-compact semi or a j-frame revolver that would not look out of place on a duty belt.

When I retired my department issued, and still does, pants with western cut pockets that are totally useless when wearing a Sam Browne. My bug was carried under the straps of my vest, under my uniform shirt. Phones were still small enough to carry in a shirt pocket.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by FirePolice22 View Post
    For starters I am an arson investigator, employed by a fire department with LE certifications. I am looking to conceal my jframe revolver as my BUG while on duty. Our department has strict uniform guidelines. Duty type police, fire, poly-cotton shirt, standard black trousers (2 front pockets, 2 back). 8" duty boots. It IS the same for our arson units as well but now we add the duty belt, Glock 22, extra mags, flashlight, CPR mask, baton, and cuffs. My back pockets contain personal wallet and department wallet, front pockets contain cell phone and keys. Ankle carry is not an option with boots and my calfskin are 22". Pocket carry I am not find of nor can I access it quickly with belt accessories. I also need it deeper concealment than a pocket..

Suggestions.

Tips?

100% new at LE carry or BUG carry.
    First of all, you have way too much stuff. Carrying your wallet in the back pocket is bad for your back. Your keys should hang from a key holder on your belt. And a phone holder as well. Pocket carry is the best way to go. You can stand and talk to people with your hand in your pocket and on your BUG. I carried one for years in my left pocket (since I'm right handed and my duty holster interfered). RIght pocket was for the aforementioned wallet. My department wore the standard duty pants (I don't remember the brand) and the pockets were quite deep enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links