On duty jframe concealment?

This is a discussion on On duty jframe concealment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For starters I am an arson investigator, employed by a fire department with LE certifications. I am looking to conceal my jframe revolver as my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: On duty jframe concealment?

For starters I am an arson investigator, employed by a fire department with LE certifications. I am looking to conceal my jframe revolver as my BUG while on duty. Our department has strict uniform guidelines. Duty type police, fire, poly-cotton shirt, standard black trousers (2 front pockets, 2 back). 8" duty boots. It IS the same for our arson units as well but now we add the duty belt, Glock 22, extra mags, flashlight, CPR mask, baton, and cuffs. My back pockets contain personal wallet and department wallet, front pockets contain cell phone and keys. Ankle carry is not an option with boots and my calfskin are 22". Pocket carry I am not find of nor can I access it quickly with belt accessories. I also need it deeper concealment than a pocket..

Suggestions.

Tips?

100% new at LE carry or BUG carry.

Would a belly band be a workable option?

VIP Member
    With uniform constraints carrying a J frame as a BUG may not be workable, although SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters system may work depending on the fit of your pants. Have you explored something smaller, say a Ruger LCP or Kahr CM9?

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    If/when you wore a jacket you could use a shoulder holster.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePolice22 View Post
    Ankle carry is not an option with boots and my calfskin are 22"
    It may not be how you want to carry, but boots aren't what is stopping you. There are plenty of ankle holsters that will work on lace-up boots.
    sgb likes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Any consideration of a shoulder rig like this (Concealed Carry Holsters | Deep Conceal) underneath your outer shirt? yeah, it won't be as easy to get to, but you'll have it if necessary.

Distinguished Member
    I'm assuming you don't wear body armor because there are a variety of options to attach something to the vest carrier.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Body armor is worn, when I am in uniform. I have not looked into or considered a semi auto bug. Bug will only be a close combat necessity, if I need to it will be pressed against an assailant and discharged. I want the reassurance the weapon will not be out of batterey and will discharge as many rounds as necessary.

Body armor is worn, when I am in uniform.
    Mika makes a vest holster that might work with your body armor. I don't know anything about it, but the Mika pocket holster is well respected.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Welcome to the forum.
    Just curious, do you come into contact with suspects? I guess the question I want to ask is, why do you need a gun doing the duty of an arson investigator?
    Showing my ignorance as far as fire/arson duties!

For starters I am an arson investigator, employed by a fire department with LE certifications. I am looking to conceal my jframe revolver as my BUG while on duty. Our department has strict uniform guidelines. Duty type police, fire, poly-cotton shirt, standard black trousers (2 front pockets, 2 back). 8" duty boots. It IS the same for our arson units as well but now we add the duty belt, Glock 22, extra mags, flashlight, CPR mask, baton, and cuffs. My back pockets contain personal wallet and department wallet, front pockets contain cell phone and keys. Ankle carry is not an option with boots and my calfskin are 22". Pocket carry I am not find of nor can I access it quickly with belt accessories. I also need it deeper concealment than a pocket..

Suggestions.

Tips?

100% new at LE carry or BUG carry.

Distinguished Member
    Body armor is worn, when I am in uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Mika makes a vest holster that might work with your body armor. I don't know anything about it, but the Mika pocket holster is well respected.

I tried a couple of different soft vest holsters and ultimately they just didn't work for me. Too hard to reholster if you had to disarm for a secure area. After some trial and error I got Oahi Modular Holster from Crossbreed. It's stuck to velcro on the side of my vest under my arm and the vest strap goes over it for a nice secure rig. Reholstering is a breeze due to the kydex. They also make a "Last ditch" holster made specifically for a vest but it's also only made for smaller guns, j-frame not included.

I also carry the BUG on the strong side for a support hand draw in case the strong hand is disabled or busy doing firearm retention. A shirt with a concealed zipper (dummy buttons) helps aid that draw.
    FirePolice22 likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    +1 for vest strap carry. Bianchi, Safariland, Desantis, etc. all have inexpensive nylon vest holsters. Based on your description, I don't see any other practical or comfortable way.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockOclock View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Just curious, do you come into contact with suspects? I guess the question I want to ask is, why do you need a gun doing the duty of an arson investigator?
    Showing my ignorance as far as fire/arson duties!
    Arson investigators do everything cops do. They are detectives, they do have arrest powers, and they do have to fight with, contain, and arrest violent individuals. So the short answer is because an arson investigator is a cop in a firemans uniform.
    FirePolice22 likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'm also from a jurisdiction where Fire Marshals (arson investigators) enjoy police powers, and are responsible for investigating arson crimes, arresting the offerders, and testifying in court. Arson IMO is a very very high stakes game. Often involving big money and very long sentences... even to the death penalty. Fire Marshals are not just firemen with gun's.

I'm curious that your made to work in uniform. That must be tough working a scene. How do you ever do stake outs?, or tails?

Anyway Every fire marshal I worked with always carried a second gun as did the regular cops. I'd recomend staying away from an ankle holster. They are notoriously slow on the draw, and expose the firearm to all manner of water, salt, sand, dirt, dust... what ever environment your walking in. The guys I worked with carried turn out gear in the trunk of their dept car.... to wear at a scene... I cant see wearing turn out boots or bunker gear over an ankle holster.

Most of my cxareer was spent working plain clothes of one kind or another. Until I started wearing a vest every day I carried a J frame in an inside the pants holster. After I started wearing the vest I carried exclusively in a vest strap holster. It takes a little getting used to... but worked out fine for me.

Safety Pin a Blackhawk / Uncle Mikes Cloth Pocket Holster to your T-Shirt under your Uniform Shirt at the Belt line so the holster rests on your belt but, it's under your Uniform Shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links