Retention Straps and Need for Speed Drawing? :

This is a discussion on Retention Straps and Need for Speed Drawing? : within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For my new Sig P220r I bought an Alessi holster, only one they had on hand for my gun and it had a retention strap ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Retention Straps and Need for Speed Drawing? :

For my new Sig P220r I bought an Alessi holster, only one they had on hand for my gun and it had a retention strap - it would take a l-o-n-g wait for them to make a different one for me and with a line ahead of me waiting - so I took was this one. It's a great holster and Alessi is one of the top hand-made holster-makers in the country - and no, there hasn't been any degradation in quality since it's founder Lou Alessi, a great guy, died a couple of years ago. It's confidential so I can't mention the government agencies who use their holsters but there a number who don't like publicity that use them - and who they are I'll leave to your imagination. They also have a large sign on the door outside of one large room that says: "No Admittance - Restricted Area, US Government" - technically it is. I live where they make their holsters and have bought from Lou and and from Tom the president now, no difference. I've also watched them make them and they are really handmade from first to last, and really made well.

Anyway, I'm getting used to the retention strap but I am still slower drawing with this holster than others that have no strap. And the difference isn't in the time or difficulty unsnapping, the thing is magic, when snapped no matter how much you yank and pull the gun is glued inside it. But to get it off you just barely touch it - wham! strap is open. But my hand is then out of place from where I like it when I draw. I hope more training will speed it up, and of course I could just leave the strap open, the gun is not loose, but for some reason I want to use the holster as intended.

Anyone use a retention holster for CCW - how does it affect your draw?

Thanks.

I don't see the point of a retention holster if you are not open carrying. It's simply going to slow down your draw and possibly hinder your draw completely.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

A retention strap IMO can be your best friend. While a quick draw has some merit... The chances of losing or dropping your firearm are a whole lot greater than getting into a quick draw gunfight. A retention strap can always be unlosed, or put out of the way... And with a little practice anyone can be as quick with a retention strap draw as they can without one.

A retention strap is not designed to keep someone from snatching your gun. It's designed to keep the gun in the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    A retention strap is not designed to keep someone from snatching your gun. It's designed to keep the gun in the holster.
    - If your holster cannot keep your gun in without a retention strap while you're carrying, IMO, it's a poorly designed or fitting holster.
    sgb likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Seems to me if you have been using holsters from anybody for a long time that you should have already been well acquainted with them.
    Kinda like using a tractor on a farm but not knowing how to drive a standard shift.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

A proper thumb break retention strap is just as fast as no retention, if you practice with it.

And if there is a difference in speed, it would be so neglegable that it is a moot point.
    Secret Spuk and ks kid like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - If your holster cannot keep your gun in without a retention strap while you're carrying, IMO, it's a poorly designed or fitting holster.
    If a person did no physical activity, or sat in a vehicle all the time... maybe. But some of us do physical things and a gun gould come loose or come out. Like using a public restroom. I have been shooting and carrying for about 42 years now. I have never seen a holster that maintains it's perfect new fit after being worn for a while. A molded holster (leather) will soon become softer and more pliable. I dont like plastic holsters... though I'm sure there are some that work. I find them hard to hide, and uncomfortable to wear.

A retention strap is your friend. Besides it cant hurt.
    wmhawth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Seems to me if you have been using holsters from anybody for a long time that you should have already been well acquainted with them.
    Kinda like using a tractor on a farm but not knowing how to drive a standard shift.
    First time with retention holster - from any manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A proper thumb break retention strap is just as fast as no retention, if you practice with it.

And if there is a difference in speed, it would be so neglegable that it is a moot point.
    Thanks, I think I'm judging speed too much - it likely isn't a real difference so much as it still feels a long time.

From op:

Well, a pleasant surprise! You're pointing out the value of what I have and am beginning to appreciate it - I didn't see all those things about a strap that are positives - and you're RIGHT about them! I've come close to a gun falling out a couple of times from holsters, reaching down, bumping the gun while entering my car etc ...

Lead Moderator
    The strap shouldn't slow you down that much, it should release as your hand goes down to grasp the grip if you practice the proper movement.

I don't know if they still do, but at one time years ago most Federal agencies actually required the straps on their issued holsters.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    For my new Sig P220r I bought an Alessi holster, only one they had on hand for my gun and it had a retention strap - it would take a l-o-n-g wait for them to make a different one for me and with a line ahead of me waiting - so I took was this one. It's a great holster and Alessi is one of the top hand-made holster-makers in the country - and no, there hasn't been any degradation in quality since it's founder Lou Alessi, a great guy, died a couple of years ago. It's confidential so I can't mention the government agencies who use their holsters but there a number who don't like publicity that use them - and who they are I'll leave to your imagination. They also have a large sign on the door outside of one large room that says: "No Admittance - Restricted Area, US Government" - technically it is. I live where they make their holsters and have bought from Lou and and from Tom the president now, no difference. I've also watched them make them and they are really handmade from first to last, and really made well.

Anyway, I'm getting used to the retention strap but I am still slower drawing with this holster than others that have no strap. And the difference isn't in the time or difficulty unsnapping, the thing is magic, when snapped no matter how much you yank and pull the gun is glued inside it. But to get it off you just barely touch it - wham! strap is open. But my hand is then out of place from where I like it when I draw. I hope more training will speed it up, and of course I could just leave the strap open, the gun is not loose, but for some reason I want to use the holster as intended.

Anyone use a retention holster for CCW - how does it affect your draw?

Thanks.
    I OC and have a strap. It was awkward at first, but with practice I'm getting smoother draws. Maybe not quicker, but def smoother and more coordinated so that I can draw, sweep the safety off and get on target and fire in good time without fumbling. I carry condition one - (7+1) one in the pipe, full mag and decocked.

sgb
    Thumb breaks are unnecessary on a properly built concealed carry holster and there are much better retention systems for open carry and duty use. I've been carrying a sidearm personally and professionally for 30+ years. My .02
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I do use a thumb strap and have for years when Im not covered. Your draw time does not suffer from using it. Your thumb should rake it as your hand moves into position on your pistol. I was timed with it in 1q12 and had a 2 shot time from holster of 1.4 seconds. Practice and you will be fine.

I use a Bianchi model 82 with my XDm. It has a small trigger guard lock with a button perfectly where my middle finger hits it. This keeps my trigger finger off the trigger when drawing but in perfect position. It works perfect for me and is just 2nd nature when drawing. I don't even think about it.

I went thru several different holsters before this one and I love it. Comfortable and secure. In the end, it's what works best for you.

Tim
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links