Has Illinois always been an antigun state?

This is a discussion on Has Illinois always been an antigun state? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got off the Handgunlaw.us site and am somewhat amused at Illinois being, far and away, the most antigun state in the Union. Obviously, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Has Illinois always been an antigun state?

Distinguished Member

Just got off the Handgunlaw.us site and am somewhat amused at Illinois being, far and away, the most antigun state in the Union. Obviously, I would imagine in the 19th or even early 20th century, handgun carrying was permissible. Wondering if gangland killings of the twenties and thirties in Chicago led to such stringent opposition. Does anyone know of a link that covers the odyssey of guns to no guns in Illinois and why?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

GH
    Living a mere 50 miles from the Illinois - Wisconsin state line I can say with all certainty that I know little of that state. I like it that way.
    darbo and mjb65 like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

The more oppressive the leadership, the more anti-gun.

It comes right out of the Oppressive Leadership Handbook:
    Step 1: Ban all guns.
    Step 2: Ban all drugs and/or foods that may be unhealthy.
    Step 3: Fine James Harrison for hitting too hard.
    blitzburgh and msgt/ret like this.

I was under the impression that guns were never allowed in Illinois. Isn't that why Abe Lincoln hunted vampires with an axe?

I don't know why they are soooooo anti-gun (does little for murder rate) but I wish I did not live so close.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    I don't know why they are soooooo anti-gun (does little for murder rate) but I wish I did not live so close.
    It actually does a lot for the murder rate. Makes it MUCH higher.

;)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

it all started after the assassination of Bobby Kennedy and MLK in 1968 with the implementation of the Firearms Owners Identification Card. (FOID).

FOID (firearms) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicago has tried to legislate away crime since the Capone Days, and Mayor Daley Sr, was an elitist power monger that set the tone for current day Chicago and the political machine in Chicago. One of the products of the Power of the Chicago political machine is none other than our current President Barry Obama. Chicago has been run by elitist Democrats for a ver long time, and they have attempted to disarm the entire population of the State by enacting ridiculously restrictive gun laws in the City of Chicago. Rahm Manuel is also a descendent of the Mayor Daley elitist political agenda. Until Chicago changes, Illinois will remain a backward cesspool of misinformation regarding firearms....and the crime in Chicago will continue to spiral out of control.

Illinois actually advertises the State as being the last safe haven in the Union to raise a family devoid of all those crazy gun toting concealed carry right wing extremist red necks because of their wonderul gun laws.....and unfortunately, there are many that are buying into that garbage, hook, line and sinker.....if Obama is re-elected, he will make Mayor Daley proud.
    BurgerBoy, aznav and accessbob like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    The more oppressive the leadership, the more anti-gun.

It comes right out of the Oppressive Leadership Handbook:
    Step 1: Ban all guns.
    Step 2: Ban all drugs and/or foods that may be unhealthy.
    Step 3: Fine James Harrison for hitting too hard.
    LOL, I almost spit my drink on my laptop..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    it all started after the assassination of Bobby Kennedy and MLK in 1968 with the implementation of the Firearms Owners Identification Card. (FOID).

FOID (firearms) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicago has tried to legislate away crime since the Capone Days, and Mayor Daley Sr, was an elitist power monger that set the tone for current day Chicago and the political machine in Chicago. One of the products of the Power of the Chicago political machine is none other than our current President Barry Obama. Chicago has been run by elitist Democrats for a ver long time, and they have attempted to disarm the entire population of the State by enacting ridiculously restrictive gun laws in the City of Chicago. Rahm Manuel is also a descendent of the Mayor Daley elitist political agenda. Until Chicago changes, Illinois will remain a backward cesspool of misinformation regarding firearms....and the crime in Chicago will continue to spiral out of control.

Illinois actually advertises the State as being the last safe haven in the Union to raise a family devoid of all those crazy gun toting concealed carry right wing extremist red necks because of their wonderul gun laws.....and unfortunately, there are many that are buying into that garbage, hook, line and sinker.....if Obama is re-elected, he will make Mayor Daley proud.
    Nail, meet hammer.

Compare the number of killings in Chicago from January-now to the number of deaths of US Soldiers in Afghan during the same time period.. You (as in anybody reading this, not the person I quoted) might find something surprising..
    aznav likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The unfortunate reality is that those of us Illinois residents that live outside of the Chicago metro area are outnumbered by the voters in Chicago. Most of us outside of that area are pro concealed carry and pro 2nd ammendment. We lobby our legislature and rally. I believe some day in the not too distant future we will have the same right to defend ourselves as the other 49 states. See "Illinoiscarry.com" for more information on our progress.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Quote Originally Posted by SWIll View Post
    The unfortunate reality is that those of us Illinois residents that live outside of the Chicago metro area are outnumbered by the voters in Chicago. Most of us outside of that area are pro concealed carry and pro 2nd ammendment. We lobby our legislature and rally. I believe some day in the not too distant future we will have the same right to defend ourselves as the other 49 states. See "Illinoiscarry.com" for more information on our progress.
    Good luck to you guys.

To help you out, I'm going to put in my will that once I die, I'm to be registered to vote in Cook County.
    Beans, BigStick and accessbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    Good luck to you guys.

To help you out, I'm going to put in my will that once I die, I'm to be registered to vote in Cook County.
    And when you're dead and buried and registered, don't forget: Vote early and vote often. :D
    accessbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Compare the number of killings in Chicago from January-now to the number of deaths of US Soldiers in Afghan[istan] during the same time period.
    From 2001 through August 3, 2012:
    • CHI -- 7081 murders, which doesn't include all the 'burbs in the surrounding major metro area.
    • USMIL in AFG -- 1942 deaths, with 1614 KIA

Very telling. Perhaps someone should tell the IL legislature ...
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 4th, 2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Ionracas likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Morton Grove is in my mind one of the most stand out city's in that state, most well known for it's handgun ban. It will also be familiar to the members here who have been at this stuff for awhile.
    To me it's more of a stand out than Chicago, which is only been getting the press coverage on the issue more than any other here in the past several years.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIll View Post
    The unfortunate reality is that those of us Illinois residents that live outside of the Chicago metro area are outnumbered by the voters in Chicago. Most of us outside of that area are pro concealed carry and pro 2nd amendment. We lobby our legislature and rally.
    I do not know how the Illinois state legislation works but I thought most, if not all, states are pretty much the same. I see it as while Chicago representatives wields its power at the state level there has to be representatives in other parts of the state that side with not allowing concealed carry.

I do hope the citizens of Illinois will be allowed to carry in the near future.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links