Having trouble with legality of a FTF.

This is a discussion on Having trouble with legality of a FTF. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in PA. I have read the FAQs (B1 and B2) on the ATF website that seem to say that an FFL holder is ...

Thread: Having trouble with legality of a FTF.

Having trouble with legality of a FTF.

I am in PA. I have read the FAQs (B1 and B2) on the ATF website that seem to say that an FFL holder is not necessary for a face to face sale of a handgun between residents of the same state.

Although it does mention the word "TRANSFER", which sounds like an FFL transfer.

I have always believed it was ok until I spoke with a friend of mine, and now I question it.

Does anyone know for sure that it is legal, and where do you get your info?

I did a FTF and now I am worried about it.

2. Remove Ads

Don't know about PA

Florida is OK FTF
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Did you get that from your state regs or federal?

Like every thing it very likely varies by state so check with your local State PD for starters.
    Here In MI though all you need for a handgun sale / transfer from a private individual is a "Green Card" AKA "Safety inspection" but as a ill conceived idea it is still registration.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

IN VT I was told that it was fine to do but it was suggested that a bill of sales should be written up and signed by both parties with drivers license #s and the serial number of the gun.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

And what do you do with the form?

Federal law allows face-to-face handgun sales between residents of the same state, in that state (meaning, two residents of PA can't meet in NJ to complete the sale there). State law varies. If PA does not have its own state law regulating face-to-face handgun sales then it is legal. But I don't know. You will have to check on your state laws.

Federal law allows it: state law varies.

In NH for example, a FTF is allowed if the purchaser has a CCW or is personally known to the seller.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I am in PA. I have read the FAQs (B1 and B2) on the ATF website that seem to say that an FFL holder is not necessary for a face to face sale of a handgun between residents of the same state.

Although it does mention the word "TRANSFER", which sounds like an FFL transfer.

I have always believed it was ok until I spoke with a friend of mine, and now I question it.

Does anyone know for sure that it is legal, and where do you get your info?

I did a FTF and now I am worried about it.

PA LAW
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6111.html

---------------------------
    "(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild."
    --------------------------------
    In other words - an Instant Check should probably have been done.

You NEED to consult an Attorney !
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links