Extra magazine? - Page 3

Extra magazine?

This is a discussion on Extra magazine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry one speed strip or speedloader, or one extra mag depending on what I\'m carrying....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra magazine?

I usually carry one speed strip or speedloader, or one extra mag depending on what I\'m carrying.

Usually one. Sometimes two. Rarely (but occasionally) none.

With the 92 FS(pre ban), I\'ll have one sometimes two 15 rounders. With the Taurus snubby, one speed strip an extra 5.

Glock 23 with 13+1 and a spare 15 rounder= 29 rounds.....or.....Glock 27 with 10+1 and a spare 15 rounder=26...

Either way...thats a whole lottta .40 for CCW!

Main reason to carry an extra mag is for the off chance of magazine failure.

One spare on me and another nearby. I usually carry a shoulder bag so sometimes there\'s a BUG in it.

Anyone who carries a semi-auto for defense should ALWAYS carry a spare magazine, not to have enough bullets for multiple adversaries, but for redundancy. What happens if your magazine fails and the threat has not stopped? You now have a fancy club!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Sometimes one mag in front pants pocket.

Sometimes, no extra ammo on me.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I carry a Glock 21 with 13+1 rounds. I feel secure enough, and carry more cartridges than a G36 with an extra magazine (6+1+6).

I know, I know, what if I get in a huge fire fight and need 15 rounds? One cannot mitigate all risks---10 pounds of cartridges wouldn\'t save me from a DC sniper 100m off my 6 o\'clock. Since I will probably never fire even one round in self-defense, I feel that 14 rounds is enough to cover a likely instance of SHF.

I am NOT implying that others should not carry more; I know that plenty do so. This is just my thinking and how I feel about it.

Originally posted by lt8tmgya
    I carry a Glock 21 with 13+1 rounds. I feel secure enough, and carry more cartridges than a G36 with an extra magazine (6+1+6).

I know, I know, what if I get in a huge fire fight and need 15 rounds? One cannot mitigate all risks---10 pounds of cartridges wouldn\'t save me from a DC sniper 100m off my 6 o\'clock. Since I will probably never fire even one round in self-defense, I feel that 14 rounds is enough to cover a likely instance of SHF.

I am NOT implying that others should not carry more; I know that plenty do so. This is just my thinking and how I feel about it.
    What happens when the side of that G21 mag splits...or it drops outta the magwell after a hard hit to the ground...or the floor plate lets go dropping 13 rounds to the ground.....or 2 rounds get jammed together against the feed lips and distort them so that a single round wont feed....or, the mag doesnt feed rounds cause the spring let go due to poor materials in that batch of springs and you dont replace them in your carry mags every 2 years...or its dark and somehow...you dont know how, but somehow you dropped hte mag and cant look down to find it..guess what theres one right where you know its supposed to be on your belt.

Its not necessarily about the # of rounds carried....its more about Mr. Murphy and the bad jokes he can play at the worst possible times..think about it..

usually 1 speedloader.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    What happens when the side of that G21 mag splits...or it drops outta the magwell after a hard hit to the ground...or the floor plate lets go dropping 13 rounds to the ground.....or 2 rounds get jammed together against the feed lips and distort them so that a single round wont feed....or, the mag doesnt feed rounds cause the spring let go due to poor materials in that batch of springs and you dont replace them in your carry mags every 2 years...or its dark and somehow...you dont know how, but somehow you dropped hte mag and cant look down to find it..guess what theres one right where you know its supposed to be on your belt.
    One can play the \"what if\" game all day, and come up with all sorts of terrible situations. But a thinking gunfighter can tell the difference between what is probable and what is improbable. Do you really worry that much about your equipment failing? If so, maybe you need to either change your equipment to get some you can trust to work or get more experience what you have so you can trust it.

Senior Moderator
    I don\'t carry any extra ammo; just the 15 rounds in my gun and 15 rounds in the mag on my belt.

I don\'t carry any extra lights either; just a Surefire Aviator clipped in my left pocket and a small $6 LED light in my right pocket that operates from one AAA battery which happens to be the same battery that my car alarm remote uses.

Im not personally slamming you...but this is a pretty ignorant response.

To say that I am not carrying top quality equiptment or that I have no faith in it is a little off. I carry Glocks in top quality carry gear. I have NEVER had a failure of any kind thru either of my carry Glocks. I have over 9,300 rounds thru my Glock 23 and 1400 thru my Glock 27.....Thats why I trust to carry them. But to think that anything wont go wrong or stop working properly when put to the test or under stress is not smart thinking, this is of cousre my opinion, and most of those that carry or are in the business of training will tell you to not rely solely on one mag in a semiauto. Its just not smart. Do you drive without a spare tire..?

If the magazine goes south you have a club. Please dont assume that I am not trained in the use of my gear or that I dont carry good quality equiptment as you have no clue in my abilities or what I carry.

You can carry whatever and however you choose. But dont think your opinion is always correct or what anyone else should do. And \"what if\'s\" keep the mind sharp on possibilities that CAN happen....just because they havent ever happened to you. I hope this isnt coming across with the wrong attitude..thats not my intention...its meant to make people think. And to understand that what can go wrong, will go wrong.

Originally posted by David Armstrong

One can play the \"what if\" game all day, and come up with all sorts of terrible situations. But a thinking gunfighter can tell the difference between what is probable and what is improbable. Do you really worry that much about your equipment failing? If so, maybe you need to either change your equipment to get some you can trust to work or get more experience what you have so you can trust it.

Always at least one no matter which gun unless it\'s a revolver then it\'s 3 speedloaders. Care to guess why? (Hint: It\'s a movie answer! LOL)

OTOH if I\'m traveling, I keep a range bag in the vehicle, right next to my seat. This will have as many spare loaded mags as I own for that weapon and it will have spare batteries for the SureFire 6P plus a 50rd box of JHP. There may be an alternate holster in a side pouch. There may also be a backup weapon for my wife. All mags will be interchangeable between the weapons.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Im not personally slamming you...but this is a pretty ignorant response.
    In the same vein, I\'m not personally slamming you, but it was a pretty ignorant post to have to respond to in the first place.
    To say that I am not carrying top quality equiptment or that I have no faith in it is a little off.
    But I didn\'t say that, now did I? What I said was that if you really worry that much about your equipment you should either get equipment you trust or get more trust in the equipment you have. Quite a difference.
    Do you drive without a spare tire..?
    No, I don\'t, primarily because a flat tire is a fairly common problem with cars. But I don\'t worry about uncommon problems which is why I don\'t carry around a spare battery, an extra set of headlights, another brake cylinder, a backup radiator, and so on. I bet you don\'t either. Why not? Because you trust your equipment!
    If the magazine goes south you have a club.
    And if your trigger spring breaks you have a club unless you know the right trick with that Glock. And if your firing pin locks up you have a club. And a whole lot of other things CAN go wrong. The point is that they won\'t, and one should base decisions on reality, not some bizarre abnormality.
    But dont think your opinion is always correct or what anyone else should do. And \"what if\'s\" keep the mind sharp on possibilities that CAN happen....just because they havent ever happened to you. I hope this isnt coming across with the wrong attitude..thats not my intention...its meant to make people think. And to understand that what can go wrong, will go wrong.
    I don’t think my opinion is always correct. Far from it. But the “what if” game is not opinion, it should be based on facts so you can make an accurate determination. While it is true that what can go wrong will go wrong it is not true that everything that can go wrong will go wrong with the same frequency. I’ve been a Glock Armorer and Instructor for over a decade and a Firearms Trainer since the 1970s and I can tell you I have never even heard of some of the things you listed actually happening. So you’ll excuse me if I suggest that worrying about them ranks right up there with worrying that you’ll get eaten by a shark while walking in a wheat field in Kansas. It CAN happen, you know. After all, whatever can go wrong will go wrong, right??

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links