Indiana carry

Indiana carry

This is a discussion on Indiana carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone knows if I can carry in Indiana in my car with my Ohio Permit?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Indiana carry

Indiana carry

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can carry in Indiana in my car with my Ohio Permit?

Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yes you can. The State of Indiana recognizes any and all valid US CCW/handgun licenses...even those of foreign governments.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    Yes you can. The State of Indiana recognizes any and all valid US CCW/handgun licenses...even those of foreign governments.
    Ummmmm you had better check your info.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    Ummmmm you had better check your info.
    There is no need to do so...because what I posted is absolutely correct:

Indiana Code 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    **** Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    ****(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Cheers...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Yes, Indiana honors Ohio CC permits, but Ohio does not recognize Indiana permits, Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    There is no need to do so...because what I posted is absolutely correct:

Indiana Code 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    **** Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    ****(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Cheers...
    Apology, i was thinking from the wrong end of the spectrum ...states that honor the indiana
    permit instead of states indiana honors .
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Yes, Indiana honors Ohio CC permits, but Ohio does not recognize Indiana permits, Go figure.
    That apparently has something to do with Ohio honoring permits only from states requiring some sort of training/classes. Indiana has no such requirement, and it gives lifetime licenses that do not expire even when you leave the state -- they only go dormant, and reactivate when you return.

Just remember, if you are carrying on an OH license, you can only carry per the conditions of your State. If you are allowed OC or carry in places that serve alcohol in your State then you are ok, if not, do not in IN.

Here you go:

IC 35-47-2-21
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized
    according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

That "terms thereof" is what gets you. Granted, not many LEOs may know it. It's there, but with anything with the government, it's kinda hidden.

I know it sucks, but at least we recognize everybody.

Hope it helps.

FAQ:

I am a resident of another state and I have a valid handgun license issued by my
    home state. Does Indiana honor my out-of-state license?

Yes. Indiana honors valid handgun licenses issued by other states according to the terms thereof.
    (NOTE: Residents of Indiana must have an Indiana License to Carry a Handgun to lawfully carry
    a handgun in Indiana.)

Illinois issues a Firearms Owners Identification (FOI) card. This card relates to
    the purchasing of firearms, not a permit to routinely carry a handgun and is therefore is
    not honored as such in Indiana.

IC 35-47-2-21
    35-47-2-21 Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not
    be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized
    according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

I am a permit holder from another state and will be in Indiana in the future. Where and
    how can I carry my handgun in your state?

As stated in the previous question, Indiana honors licenses issued by other states according to the
    terms thereof. In other words, if you home state requires the weapon be concealed, then the
    weapon must be concealed in Indiana. If you cannot carry on your person in your vehicle in
    your home state, then do not do so in Indiana.
    Indiana does not prohibit Indiana personal protection permit holders from carrying in an
    establishment that serves or sells alcohol.
    An Indiana personal protection permit holder may carry on their person in their vehicle. There is
    currently no statute requiring a person to notify an officer that they are a permit holder and
    carrying a weapon if they are stopped for a traffic offense; however it is recommended.
    Indiana does prohibit the carrying of firearms in the secure area of an airport, school property,
    and gaming boats. Many government buildings prohibit weapons. Look for signs and postings
    at the entrance of public parks and property. Further information on these prohibitions is in the
    FAQ question on where it is permissible to carry.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    That apparently has something to do with Ohio honoring permits only from states requiring some sort of training/classes. Indiana has no such requirement, and it gives lifetime licenses that do not expire even when you leave the state -- they only go dormant, and reactivate when you return.
    Repricocity can get rather confusing. At least no one has to worry about repricocity in Illinois, do they?
    GH likes this.

GH
    Wisconsin has a reciprocal agreement with Illinois - we can't carry there & they can't carry here. Now if we could only close our borders.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

For me and my immediate surrounding states, I'm OK. I just don't go west to California. But I can go east and north and be just fine. Even in Nevada where the gun laws are much much better even when they disregard my Florida CC Licence.--D.J.

Do not use the internet site as your guide. Check directly with the state to confrim the law. They have been wrong on some details and has cost some people

VIP Member
    Indiana is a very gun friendly state
    CIBMike and Gun Bunny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Indiana is a very gun friendly state
    Yes, a lot of people tend to not realize this.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links