Defensive Carry banner

baby on board

3K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  tcox4freedom 
#1 ·
what do you do when you have a newborn? i 'm not at the point of having to worry about a child getting my firearm, i'm more concerned with being able to access on my persons if i'm carrying a car seat or numerous types of bags,etc... , there is a chance i'll be carrying my newborn in my dominant hand, that i can fix by switching hands, but holding a newborn and access a concealed firearm seems quite the feat.
any fathers with newborns have ideas?

#3 ·
This. I'm having to put a bit of thought into this, myself, since my wife is carrying our first. I've come to the conclusion that I will just have to always have my child covered in bubble wrap for a quick drop in case I need to clear leather.

I'm still seeing how I can get away with telling my wife that she always has to hold the baby in public so I can protect us if necessary. I don't see that flying with her, though. You just have to keep your SA up and run for cover if necessary, or find some other way to carry (non-dominant hand/arm, sling, backpack, etc.)

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#4 ·
My number 1 concern as a father, would be to get my children to safety before I attempt anything else. But, just as Thunder71 said, that's life. Best and honest advice? Learn to shoot effectively with both hands and get your family to safety first.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#5 ·
As the father of a newly minted six-week-old of the male variety, I haven't found it to be a problem. I carry him the same way I've trained myself to carry everything else; With my non-dominant hand. If we're out in public, he's in a carrier/car seat anyway, so it's not a big deal. I can easily access my weapon with my dominant hand if, God forbid, I was left with no other option.
With that being said, I can only imagine it's going to become more difficult as he gets older, bigger, and more capable of squirming around in my arms.

#6 ·
I don't carry anything in my right hand (dominate hand). That is just something ingrained into me after 24 years of military service. You always kept your right hand free to salute. It became second nature that if I picked something up with the right hand, I immediately shifted it to the left. Even after being retired for 18 years, I keep my right hand empty. With a little practice it will become a reflex action.

#8 ·
SA is key.my swivel neck style could be misread as paranoia.Especially if I have 2 of my youngest (4 & 5)holding my hands.much easier now then it was when I had to carry 2 carseats and 2 diaper bags.

#11 ·
You can only prepare for what might happen. Murphy's Law will come into effect in such a manner that if something happens it'll be the only thing you haven't trained for.

#12 ·
I carried my son with my off-hand. It took some getting used to, but eventually got to the point where I preferred to use my off hand even while not armed.

Other bags can be dropped.

#19 ·
...Other bags can be dropped.
Congrats on the new kiddo, hope you're getting some sleep. As I father of three boys I've tried may different ways to carry but IMO just go with your normal carry mode and don't carry anything in your strong side hand that can't be dropped. I think it gets more difficult when the kids are older and you end up picking them up and setting them down on a regular basis. Among other uses SA habits really help to keep track of the kids once they are mobile...

#14 ·
When I'm out with my 3 YO son he knows to always grab my left hand (I've trained him well) so that my dominant hand is free. I've also figured that if the absolute necessity came where I would have to draw, if he's on my left side I would instictively turn slightly so that he is shielded by me. My wife carries our newborn... just the way it is. :smile:

#15 ·
Train them to have pin point accuracy with vomit :) No but seriously, this is a concern. Luckily for me, I'm almost always with my wife, so we help each other out. But when I'm by myself with my daughter it's just none stop awareness. The most vulnerable time is strapping them into the car seat.

#16 ·
Having two sons (3 and 5) you can't be ready all of the time, we used either a backpack our a baby sling with ours and sometimes both. my boys liked the backpack so much that they would ask to carried around in it in the house.

Pay attention to your surroundings and enjoy your child.

#17 ·
Give appendix cross draw a consideration. When you have a kid, you end up carry a lot of stuff in addition to the kid, and so this gives you the option of drawing with either hand.

Also, along with everyone else, you end up carrying most things on your non-dominant side of your body, and actually, even if you don't carry a gun, that will probably happen because you end up needing your dominant hand for lots of other things as well (opening doors with keys, etc).

You'll figure it out quickly enough.

#18 ·
Also, along with everyone else, you end up carrying most things on your non-dominant side of your body, and actually, even if you don't carry a gun, that will probably happen because you end up needing your dominant hand for lots of other things as well (opening doors with keys, etc).
You'll figure it out quickly enough.
Totally agree - all of mine were carried on non dominant side because there's always things you need to do with the dominant hand.

I know they're geared for women, but Lima's videos on carrying a child and a firearm are excellent for moms and dads IMO.

Congratulations on the baby!

#20 ·
Your #1 priority at that moment is getting the infant to safety. Run like Heck in the opposite direction of danger unless there is no alternative!

#22 ·
It's been a blur, but I was there 3 years ago. Of course, mine was limited to mostly staying home and not going out due to health concerns, so until about 6 months, it wasn't an issue to even consider.

But I'm curious...how is your performance (drawing, getting on target and getting hits) without something in your off hand...or one handed? Probably too late, but some of the local competitions I've seen (before I started shooting in them), they actually did this type of thing...having to do the course while carrying a doll, or while manipulating a stroller.

#23 ·
As a father of 5, I got used to carrying my kids on my left side, so my right hand was always free. I'm used to carrying everything in my left hand; for example, my cell phone is in my left pocket and I hold it in my left hand.

Here's something to consider - in the event of an emergency, you might have to inflict a small hurt to prevent a major hurt. For example, if you were crossing the street and a car came out of nowhere straight for your child, would you hesitate for a second to shove your child out of the way?

Hopefully, your SA will kick in well before a situation turns nasty and you'll be able to avoid danger. But in a worst case scenario, dropping your child to draw and stop a threat would be far preferable to not being able to defend yourself. There's been a lot of good advice so far. Thinking about situations helps lay down the neural pathways so you might be better prepared in an emergency.

#24 ·
I'm also a parent of 5, lots of things run through your mind when thinking about scenarios. For example with 1 kid with me I could run, carrying the child (assuming its one of the younger ones) but with all 5 it'd be hard to get them all out of harms way. I completely agree with BenGoodLuck SA is your best bet and a small hurt to prevent a big one could be necessary if ever in a bad situation you can't get away from.

My main advice is to only carry what you need to. It's easy with the first to carry a big diaper bag loaded with everything that MIGHT be needed and then have to juggle that and the baby. With time you find you can use a small bag, you don't need 15 diapers, 4 bottles, 2 changes of clothes and 6 pacifiers when headed out. A lot of people use baby carriers that can easily be put in a stroller or grocery cart, that keeps hands free or a sling is good for a newborn too before they have the head control for a backpack type carrier.

#25 ·
Start practicing and getting use to carrying the baby on your weak hand/side and keep your drawing hand and the side you carry on free and open for you to be able to quick draw. I have 3 kids and was able to carry on the body with all 3 of them. It helps to do some practice drills with a doll so you can adjust and get your muscle memory to accommodate a baby. Hope this helps. ;)

#27 ·
It helps to do some practice drills with a doll so you can adjust and get your muscle memory to accommodate a baby.
They should teach this in home ec. classes in high school, since they make some kids walk around with an electronic baby, anyway. How to change them. How to feed them. How to hold them in a SD situation. You know.. the basics.

#26 ·
I carry the kid mostly in the weak side arm. Everything else, breakable or not, is replacable, so I carry it in the strong hand, and if necessary, it will be dropped without hessitation.

As a few have said however, in most cases, I think the best plan is to run/take cover. Unless the threat is close, and specifically directed at you, I think the best plan of action will almost always be to get away from the danger. Once you are behind cover and out of the line of fire, if the threat still exists, you should have time to put the kid down and draw. Against a gun weilding assailant, shooting at them will draw fire back at you, and by default, towards your child if you do not achieve instant incapacitation.

That being said, you never know exactly what sittuation will arise, and I like the idea of practicing with something in your off hand. I think I will start doing that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.