baby on board

baby on board

This is a discussion on baby on board within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what do you do when you have a newborn? i 'm not at the point of having to worry about a child getting my firearm, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: baby on board

baby on board

what do you do when you have a newborn? i 'm not at the point of having to worry about a child getting my firearm, i'm more concerned with being able to access on my persons if i'm carrying a car seat or numerous types of bags,etc... , there is a chance i'll be carrying my newborn in my dominant hand, that i can fix by switching hands, but holding a newborn and access a concealed firearm seems quite the feat.
    any fathers with newborns have ideas?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    It's life, you just can't be ready 100% of the time. Be aware of your surroundings and do what you can, don't worry about what you can't control.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    It's life, you just can't be ready 100% of the time. Be aware of your surroundings and do what you can, don't worry about what you can't control.
    This. I'm having to put a bit of thought into this, myself, since my wife is carrying our first. I've come to the conclusion that I will just have to always have my child covered in bubble wrap for a quick drop in case I need to clear leather.

I'm still seeing how I can get away with telling my wife that she always has to hold the baby in public so I can protect us if necessary. I don't see that flying with her, though. You just have to keep your SA up and run for cover if necessary, or find some other way to carry (non-dominant hand/arm, sling, backpack, etc.)
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

My number 1 concern as a father, would be to get my children to safety before I attempt anything else. But, just as Thunder71 said, that's life. Best and honest advice? Learn to shoot effectively with both hands and get your family to safety first.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

As the father of a newly minted six-week-old of the male variety, I haven't found it to be a problem. I carry him the same way I've trained myself to carry everything else; With my non-dominant hand. If we're out in public, he's in a carrier/car seat anyway, so it's not a big deal. I can easily access my weapon with my dominant hand if, God forbid, I was left with no other option.
    With that being said, I can only imagine it's going to become more difficult as he gets older, bigger, and more capable of squirming around in my arms.

VIP Member
    I don't carry anything in my right hand (dominate hand). That is just something ingrained into me after 24 years of military service. You always kept your right hand free to salute. It became second nature that if I picked something up with the right hand, I immediately shifted it to the left. Even after being retired for 18 years, I keep my right hand empty. With a little practice it will become a reflex action.
    Regoria75 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

ergo baby, backpack style.

SA is key.my swivel neck style could be misread as paranoia.Especially if I have 2 of my youngest (4 & 5)holding my hands.much easier now then it was when I had to carry 2 carseats and 2 diaper bags.
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help move the bodies.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    This.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    ergo baby, backpack style.
    Backpack style, when going solo. One carrying/pushing while the other maintains security, when doing dual.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

GH
    You can only prepare for what might happen. Murphy's Law will come into effect in such a manner that if something happens it'll be the only thing you haven't trained for.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by erdocsg View Post
    what do you do when you have a newborn? i 'm not at the point of having to worry about a child getting my firearm, i'm more concerned with being able to access on my persons if i'm carrying a car seat or numerous types of bags,etc... , there is a chance i'll be carrying my newborn in my dominant hand, that i can fix by switching hands, but holding a newborn and access a concealed firearm seems quite the feat.
    any fathers with newborns have ideas?
    I carried my son with my off-hand. It took some getting used to, but eventually got to the point where I preferred to use my off hand even while not armed.

Other bags can be dropped.

Uh not having any, I still perceive their are times we just dont carry.
    Their are times when one weighs the possible cost and or advantages,and no do not wear mine always,it may be nearby but not on me.

When I'm out with my 3 YO son he knows to always grab my left hand (I've trained him well) so that my dominant hand is free. I've also figured that if the absolute necessity came where I would have to draw, if he's on my left side I would instictively turn slightly so that he is shielded by me. My wife carries our newborn... just the way it is.

Train them to have pin point accuracy with vomit :) No but seriously, this is a concern. Luckily for me, I'm almost always with my wife, so we help each other out. But when I'm by myself with my daughter it's just none stop awareness. The most vulnerable time is strapping them into the car seat.
    BenGoodLuck and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links